• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 ACP or 10mm Glock

ProGun

NES Member
So I like Glocks. They fit my hand well, always go bang, and I like shooting all that I've owned. I was thinking of adding a Glock 30SF or 30S (45 ACP), but I don't own a 45 and am not setup to reload 45. I do own a couple 40s, so once my backordered Dillon 10mm/40 dies come in, I'll be set to load for 10mm. I've been checking out the Glock 20, 21, 29, and 30 reviews, etc on youtube. Right now, I'm leaning towards 10mm, but I'm still undecided if I should just add 45 or go with 10mm. While I won't likely carry either gun, I'm still leaning towards the smaller Glock 29/30's vs 20 and 21.

So what say NES?!

So I like Glocks. They fit my hand well, always go bang, and I like shooting all that I've owned. I was thinking of adding a Glock 30SF or 30S (45 ACP), but I don't own a 45 and am not setup to reload 45. I do own a couple 40s, so once my backordered Dillon 10mm/40 dies come in, I'll be set to load for 10mm. I've been checking out the Glock 20, 21, 29, and 30 reviews, etc on youtube. Right now, I'm leaning towards 10mm, but I'm still undecided if I should just add 45 or go with 10mm. While I won't likely carry either gun, I'm still leaning towards the smaller Glock 29/30's vs 20 and 21.

So what say NES?!

If you are not going to carry either why not stick with a G20 or G21? I own a 30 it is a great gun but if you're not carrying it, you're sacrificing juice and comfort for basically
nothing. I have both so I just pick whatever, but IMO a 29 or a 30 is really a carry gun.

If you are not going to carry either why not stick with a G20 or G21? I own a 30 it is a great gun but if you're not carrying it, you're sacrificing juice and comfort for basically
nothing. I have both so I just pick whatever, but IMO a 29 or a 30 is really a carry gun.
This.....go with the G20 or G21. More comfortable at the range.

Even if you have 40 dies, you'll have to adjust them for 10mm.....so realistically buying a set of 45 acp dies and getting them set for quick change really would make no difference in reloading...it might actually be easier.

So what say NES?!
One of the benefits of G20/21 is that you can buy a 45 barrel that fits the slide. If you get a G20/21, you can have two calibers for the price of a barrel and new mags.

P.S. Same goes for G22/23: buy a 9mm barrel and you have a 2-caliber compact

Fair question. I guess I just like having the option and have never minded shooting smaller handguns.

One of the benefits of G20/21 is that you can buy a 45 barrel that fits the slide. If you get a G20/21, you can have two calibers for the price of a barrel and new mags.

Except neither setup has the correct breechface.

Good point. I did just that for my Glock 23! The 9mm lone wolf barrel has worked perfectly in my 23.

I frequently carry a 30SF. Great gun, same size as a G19 except thicker. The recoil is surprisingly tame, barely more than the G19. Quite accurate too.

I also have a G21. It's big - I've carried it but it's awkward. Fun to shoot. I have a 10mm conversion barrel for it and I carry Underwood hard cast round in bear country. With the stout 10mm rounds it reminds me of .357mag but keep in mind that most commercial 10mm ammo is quite weak and the good stuff is quite expensive.

If you want to make the trek to Harvard some time, you're welcome to shoot all of the above.

You might be right on 20 but 22/23 is just fine. Feeds and ejects correctly. For 20, here's a nice conversion option: HGW Complete Upper for Glock 21 Gen3 Black Nitride Slide 45 ACP Stainless Barrel | eBay

I know it works, doesn't make it anything less than skinflint land though. And replacing an upper? at 2/3rds the cost of a new gun? It makes more sense to buy a 2nd gun at
that point. At least the barrel/mag swap is cheap . (at least I get the math there, dumping an upper? lol)

More often than not the conversion barrel fetish is a fools errand- the other gun/parts get abandoned anyways (collect dust) you are usually better off selecting the dominant caliber you were going to shoot to begin with anyways.

Not gonna lie, Mike is right. I hardly ever use my 10mm conversion barrel (as in less than once every year), I just shoot .45

Except neither setup has the correct breechface.
Close enough!

I have a 23 that I run 9mm in, never a hiccup, although I mainly run 9mm mags in it....the 40 mags have worked fine but haven’t run them much to be honest, basically just to test function. I run that 23 frame with 9 so much I’ve considered changing to the correct ejector.....but it works.

I know it works, doesn't make it anything less than skinflint land though. And replacing an upper? at 2/3rds the cost of a new gun? It makes more sense to buy a 2nd gun at
that point. At least the barrel/mag swap is cheap . (at least I get the math there, dumping an upper? lol)

More often than not the conversion barrel fetish is a fools errand- the other gun/parts get abandoned anyways (collect dust) you are usually better off selecting the dominant caliber you were going to shoot to begin with anyways.
You may be correct, but please lay off the ‘gun/gun parts collecting dust’ angle, bro!

I carried both a G21, G20, and G30, before realizing I shoot other stuff better and more consistent. The 20 is smooth for 10mm I shot the 29 at a range and it was just not enjoyable. Basic Prvi FMJ ammo and it was not as smooth as the full size frame. I have no regrets adding 10mm to my stable and would never talk you out of buying one.

Do yourself a favor...

Por que dos?

Get a real 21 and a real 20. Stick with the SF instead of the Gen4. Or, wait a year for Gen 5.

So what say NES?!
Not so cool glock kid 45 , super cool glock kid 10mm

10mm = .394”
45 = .451”. Mmmkay

I love 10mm. I have a G20 and G29 and a custom AR in 10mm. The 29 is my carry gun. A 10mm revolver is on my short list. I do reload 10mm. I have a 1911 in 45 but rarely shoot it.

I traded my 30 for a 19. No ragurts.
I’d lean full size.
Depending on where you shop 10mm might be cheaper than 45 right now. Certainly was cheaper than 9 the last two years.

Yeah it's pretty skin flinty. Buying 10mm is already in boutique land. Skin flinting on that when you've already bought a considerably expensive caliber for reasons is... well... classic NES skin flinting. [rofl]

I carry a G29. If I were to do it again I would just get the G20 as I use a magazine with an extension anyways and slide length is not normally a carry issue for me.
If you are just buying ammo at average places 10mm is $$$ vs .45 at the moment

Two considerations:

1) Cost. Before you get too far into rare(read expensive) gun land, according to
ammoseek.com:
45 APC is 44 cents per round(cpr)
10mm is 64 cents per round(cpr)
40SW is 33 cents per round(cpr)

self-defense ammo according to TSUSA:
45 ACP is 80cpr
10mm is 150cpr
40SW is 80cpr
Consider if paying extra is worth having a 10mm. Also, consider the cost: the used 40 handgun market is full of police trade-ins, driving the prices down. not so much for 10mm or 45...

If you reload, 10mm brass is more expensive too. Used brass is hard to come by. For example, Capital Cartrige has been out of 10mm for almost 6 months. Back when they did have it, it was $184/1000 unprocessed! For comparison, there is plenty of stock for 9mm($94/1000) and 40SW($40/1000). Yep, unprocessed 40SW is 4 cents per piece of brass while 10mm is almost 5 times more!

2) Of all Glocks out there, G22 and G23 are the most famous. There's a history behind their creation. There are decades of police use. Yes, it's being retired from police use but consider this: 1911 was retired from the military 37 years ago yet people are still buying it and enjoying it.

You can do a lot with the 10mm. I have a G20 and a G21. The 10mm with the right ammo is like a magnum. But, the .45 is easy to shoot. Personal preference.

You have .40 dies coming. So, without extra cash being spent. It sets you up for 10mm. If you don't mind the extra cash being spent. Do both. Of course, this is coming from a hoarder.

2) Of all Glocks out there, G22 and G23 are the most famous. There's a history behind their creation. There are decades of police use. Yes, it's being retired from police use but consider this: 1911 was retired from the military 37 years ago yet people are still buying it and enjoying it.
Imagine comparing a G22 to the 1911...

The G17 and G19 are way more "famous" than anything in .40

Back
Top Bottom