45 acp case problem

I'm new to realoading, I have reloaded about 600 rounds of 45acp. I have used the same 250 cases for these reloads. All of these loads have been the smallest charge for the 200 cast swc.

The first couple of loads fit the cylinder of my smith 625 without a problem. On my last reload I found that the round sat off the cylinder face about 1/16 of an inch. Removing the round I found a bulge in the case where the base of the bullet was sitting in the case. If I take the same bullet and load it into a new case it fits fine. My question is. Does this mean that the case is worn out? Or am I making some rookie mistake?

It sound like your seating stem is not pushing the bullet straight into the case. There are different noses on SWC's and if the seating stem doesn't fit right it may not line the bullet up with case correctly. I like a seater that pushes on the shoulder instead of the nose of SWC's. I have the luxury of access to a machine shop and modified my own. Good luck.

It sound like your seating stem is not pushing the bullet straight into the case. There are different noses on SWC's and if the seating stem doesn't fit right it may not line the bullet up with case correctly. I like a seater that pushes on the shoulder instead of the nose of SWC's. I have the luxury of access to a machine shop and modified my own. Good luck.

Thanks Marvelshooter..This is a Lee die any commercial suggestions for replacement?

possible lube on the base of projectile when seating? I get a noticeable "buldge" on my cast 45acp reloads. Does not seem to affect function though. Also the federal bulk pack has the same "buldge" ?????

I went out and got a Redding precision seating die. It didn't help. The press is a Lee progressive turret with the factory crimp die. It's funny mac1911 mentioned Frderal, most of these cases are from a Federal bulk pack. I have some new starline cases and they load fine..

Assuming your brass is within spec., are you flaring the mouth to facilitate bullet seating with some lead in? It is helpful with cast bullets to minimize lead shaving and especially to help alignment while seating non-beveled base bullets..
After seating the bullet to depth, you will use the taper crimp die to restore the mouth to spec.

Too much flaring of the mouth and/or too much taper crimp. Both will cause problems and bulge the case. Check the length of the cases. If you have some that are much longer than you used to set your dies, it can cause your problems although I have NEVER trimmed a straight walled pistol case.

Back
Top Bottom