• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45-70 cast load couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I picked up a Ruger #1 at the Marlboro show last spring and took it out to the range with some of my handloads and was getting 6 inch groups.

I decided to get some factory loads to benchmark it and see if it could shoot. Damn those cartridges are expensive! $48 for 20, ouch.

Anyhow I went to the range with a rest and shot 8 shots at 50 yards, got 7 in one hole and flinched on the last shot and put it 1/2 inch outside. Then I took 5 of my lead handloads and got a 7 inch group.

Factory
405 grain jacketed soft point
1850 fps
Remington Powershock

handloads
405 gr lead
28 grs 5744
Winchester LRP
1250 fps

I want to try to work up a handload to use cheap lead bullets like I do in my Trapdoor. I was thinking of trying trail boss as it is soft shooting and maybe even at 1250 fps the lead is not grabbing the rifling?

Thoughts?

45-70%20target0001_zpswpdxjnsp.jpg

Assuming they have checks? If you want to try some hollows from a Mihec mold I can send you some. They fly nicely to bowling pins at 100 out of my Contender on a rest.

I use 5744 in 3 .45/70s and 1 .45/60 and it works fine in all. Does the cast bullet have a gascheck? What alloy? What diameter? Maybe the Ruger number 1 doesn't like lead. I have 5 cast bullets in .45 that are sized to .459. You're welcome to try a few of each to see if the rifle likes any of them.

I had to call a friend who I helped with his 45-70 loads. He's shooting a trap door though.
He was shooting 385 and 405 grain bullets. Think he uses Lee dies.
Any how he uses Trail boss and his max loads where just a touch over 1000 fps. Now he wants me to crony his new favorite load. He went light and is shooting a 275gn bullet with a mid range load of trail boss.

I like trail boss and use it for really light loads. It's not very accurate in my loading. 8mm , 54r, 303, 7.7 but it's fun and milk jug accuracy at 50 yards with pistol like recoil.

Have you thought about using a heavier bullet say 500 or 525. I shoot that weight bullet in my Sharps with good results. You might try a different powder I use IMR 4227. As other have offered you're welcome to some of my bullets as well.

I have loaded hard cast, no gas check, 405g over 28g of H4198 at 1200fps. 2" groups at 100 yards with my H&R habdirifle.

It may be that the powder and bullet combo you have is not consistent at that charge/velocity

I just checked my bullets, they are swaged to .458, no gas checks, not needed at 1250 fps.

First I am going to slug the barrel to see exactly what it is. Second I will try some 500 grainers through it and some handload jacketed and then some different powders including my favorite Trail Boss that I use with my trapdoor and sharps 1874.

I will look on this as a fun process! I will also see what the Brindell number is on the bullets, I picked up a ton, well a bunch, about 1,000 of the 300's that my trapdoor carbine loves, and 1,000 of the 405's for my Sharps, and now the Ruger No. 1, so even if I can't get the No 1 to like these I can still use them in my other 45-70s

The Goose and Michael Spangler helped me figure out a 45-70 load that works. The result was a cast lead 405 grain round nose hollow base bullet from a Lee mold. Sized .459.
25.5 grains of 5744 works well, but the recoil is still a bit stiff.
12 grains of Unique works OK at 50 yards without smashing my shoulder. Just be very careful not to overcharge.
I haven't loaded 45-70 with Trail Boss yet.

Got good results, so far from the following two loads

24.5 gr of 5744, min load in Lyman book is 26 grs, so your 25.5 is also below the starting load. Got a 1 1/2 inch group, tighter but there was one off.
12.5 gr of Trail Boss gave a 1 3/8 inch group.

Loaded up some 24 gr of 5744 and 12.0 of TB to try this afternoon. My Ruger No 1 seems to like low and slow with lead, although the factory at 1800 fps is a tack driver, but heavy recoil.

I am also going to take my Trapdoor Carbine to the range and benchrest it, I know it likes 15.6 gr of TB behind a 300 gr bullet but have never benched it only shot off hand. What to see what groups it is getting may play with the loads on that one as well.

Back
Top Bottom