• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45/60

The original load used a case full of black powder so it didn't matter that the case was crimped on the ogive because the case full of powder prevented the bullet from moving farther into the case. With smokeless powder and an air space the bullet must be crimped in the crimp groove to prevent movement. The simple solution was to trim all the brass from 1.89 to 1.81. This allows the bullet to be crimped in the crimp groove while maintaining the correct overall cartridge length.

Surprised you haven’t had any replies. I could have sworn we have a couple members loading this.
Have you made any cartridges yet?
It’s basically a 45/70 shortened right?

Yes, I've made loads with Trailboss and 5744 powers and 2 bullets. A 292 grain plain base designed for the .45/60 and a 300 grain gas check. The 292 shoots lousy but the 300 grain shoots great. The .45/60 is nothing more than a .45/70 trimmed to 1.89. .45/60 brass is 3 to 4 times the cost of .45/70 so it's worth the effort.

Yes, I've made loads with Trailboss and 5744 powers and 2 bullets. A 292 grain plain base designed for the .45/60 and a 300 grain gas check. The 292 shoots lousy but the 300 grain shoots great. The .45/60 is nothing more than a .45/70 trimmed to 1.89. .45/60 brass is 3 to 4 times the cost of .45/70 so it's worth the effort.
Nice! Can you still run a 405 grain?
I have some paper patched 405s I can send you to play with. They look like the bees knees all loaded up period correct.

The .45/60 was supposedly loaded with a 300 grain bullet though I've seen loads as heavy as 330 grains. I think the 405 grain would be a bit heavy. The 1876 is the last Winchester before locking lugs were invented. It's basically a scaled up version of the 1873. Winchester was trying to develop a repeater with the power of the .45/70 but the .45/70 was too long to fit so they developed the .45/75. The 1876 may be the only repeater that was used to decimate the buffalo.

The .45/60 was supposedly loaded with a 300 grain bullet though I've seen loads as heavy as 330 grains. I think the 405 grain would be a bit heavy. The 1876 is the last Winchester before locking lugs were invented. It's basically a scaled up version of the 1873. Winchester was trying to develop a repeater with the power of the .45/70 but the .45/70 was too long to fit so they developed the .45/75. The 1876 may be the only repeater that was used to decimate the buffalo.
Ohh ok cool. I’ve read the history a few times but without owning one it doesn’t sink in.

I used to have a Uberti 1876 in 45/60. I only loaded black powder. However, I do have a Buffalo Arms 300 gr bullet mold with crimp groove. Supposedly this replicates the original. You are certainly welcome to borrow the mold and give it a try. It is a nice bullet.
On a separate note the 45/75 would have been a poor choice for a buffalo rifle. All of the 1876 rounds were express designs. Relatively light bullets moving fast for the time and designed to function in a lever gun. They were short range compared to say a Sharps or rolling block with heavy bullets. They did have good shocking power on thinner skinned game at moderate ranges, but lacked the penetration for the lumbering bison. Surprisingly the larger 50/95 was quite popular in India for tiger hunting. It had massive power and the added advantage of fast follow up shots in dense jungle at short ranges.

Back
Top Bottom