.45 1911 SSP 10 round magazines??

Just a quick IDPA question if you will. I shoot in the SSP division but think I'm going to shoot a Remington R1.45 in the next match. I plan on using 10 round magazines loaded to SSP division capacity. As long as I'm not shooting CDP I'm Otay correct?
I guess I have another question while I have you here. I'm reloading and I want to be certain that I make the "power factor". I don't want hot loads but I don't want mouse farts either. I think there is a formula for us guys who don't have a chronograph I just don't know what it is. Thanks

My first suggestion is to read the rule book. Please. Understanding the rules of any game is important and it helps you play the game better.

1911's are not legal in SSP. Examine the division rules and equipment rules.

All semi-autos in IDPA must fit a box. A 10 round .45 1911 mag is too big to allow the gun+mag to fit the box. Most you can use is 8+1, in CDP. Power factor must be 165 = (bullet wt in grains)*(velocity in fps)/1000.

You can technically shoot it at 125 Power factor in ESP, but be limited by the mag capacity of 8+1.

You can't shoot single-action guns like 1911s in SSP. Also, 10-round 1911 magazines won't fit in the box, and for CDP you are limited to 8 rounds anyways.

Shoot CDP. Bring at least three 8 round magazines - bring four if you have them. Leave your 10 round magazines at home.

I am not going to read the rule book. I didn't read the Monopoly or chess rule books and I'm not going to start now. I do have the rules in pdf but find them difficult to navigate and so I ask.
I have the 8 round mags and I want to try the 1911 so the solution is simple as M1911 suggests. As far as power factor, I can simply pump up the volume and that problem/question is resolved as well.

Lulz. I don't know why I even wasted my time answering your question. I forgot IDPA is kind of a joke.

Have fun turning money into noise.

I guess I have another question while I have you here. I'm reloading and I want to be certain that I make the "power factor". I don't want hot loads but I don't want mouse farts either. I think there is a formula for us guys who don't have a chronograph I just don't know what it is. Thanks

Not sure if you had this answered or not, so:

PF = Velocity in FPS * bullet weight. For CDP, at 165000, your typical 230Gr bullet needs 717fps. I think this is quite a bit lower than typical factory rounds. I have never seen a chrono at a club match, but they are always at sanctioned matches, so if you get to the point where you shoot a Mass state, NER, or NH state, or other tier2+ match you will want to verify that your rounds chrono, (or use factory) or you will not be able to shoot for score. I am sure someone, somewhere will be able to help you out if you need to chrono.

If you load your own ammo, you need a chrono; otherwise you have no idea what you are doing. I purchased an excellent Competition Electronics from Midway for less than $100.

I have the rule book and I have used it but no, I have not read it sufficiently to understand it but show me someone who does. I think the first "answer" i got was because it won't fit in the box. That's a great answer but I also can't use one because it's SAO. That's an important facet that was left out by someone who has read the book and suggests I understand it. Can I reload on the move or do I need to be flat footed. Ask two people and get two answers. How many other rule changes have there been since you last read the book?
I've been to a handful of matches ( Non sanctioned I guess) and have yet to see a chronograph so I was just looking to load hot enough so that it would never be an issue. I appreciate the formula and it should work fine. The easiest answer out there on any topic is "to read the book". It's not a FTDR, it's a question.

The answer to the question "can you reload on the move" is "that depends". Is cover available? Have you run dry?

And that answer will change shortly, as IDPA is changing that particular rule.

The rule book and the clarifications are the best place to start when trying to learn the rules. If you refuse to put in the time to read the rule book, then you will learn 3 seconds at a time through procedurals. If that is your choice, that is fine. Just don't whine about the procedurals.

As to your question "show me someone who does", most of us SOs have read the rulebook and have a decent understanding of it.

So you are up to date on SAO divisions, now reloading on the move. Soon, this will be permitted in the revised rules. In the mean time here is a safe way to go. If you run empty in the open, no cover, you can initiate a reload on the move to cover. You can reengage only after you get to cover. If there is no cover, you can reload on the move. If you run dry behind cover you need to reload flat footed.

Earthshine is a good guy, he means well and is one hell of a shooter. Make friends.

Your right Johniac I got defensive for no reason and Earthshine's advice to read the book was good intentioned and was good advice. It's not that I'm lazy it just that sorting through the rule book doesn't always produce an answer and half the time that rule has changed which is why I mentioned loading on the move. Sometimes I can't find an answer in the rule book or by asking.
Riddle me this.... Through a scoring error I'm classified MM in the SSP division but I want to use a 1911 .45 in an upcoming match. Can I just Bring my .45 and shoot CDP or do I shoot "unclassified"? I think it's an unsanctioned match so I'm sure I can shoot whatever I want but WTH it's confusing.
Earthshine it's a gentleman's game so I do apologize for being rude.

Yes you can shoot CDP division as unclassified. No big deal. At a sanctioned match you would need to be classified, but that is not required at a club match.

Last edited:
Rule 9.2.4 seems to say in local (tier 1) matches you can shoot in any division using a classification from another division. So to me that means if I'm MM in SSP I can shoot as MM in ESP, CDP even though I don't hold classifications in those divisions? Nothing appears to preclude you from doing the same with SSR or ESR.

Rule 9.2.4 seems to say in local (tier 1) matches you can shoot in any division using a classification from another division. So to me that means if I'm MM in SSP I can shoot as MM in ESP, CDP even though I don't hold classifications in those divisions? Nothing appears to preclude you from doing the same with SSR or ESR.

9.2.4 is confusing as heck.

At a local match you can compete in any division whether you are classified in that division or not. What your correct classification should be in that instance is something that the scorekeeper can figure out. Mark unclassified and don't worry about it.

This really isn't a big deal. Bring your gear and compete. If you like it, get yourself classified this spring.

Just a quick IDPA question if you will. I shoot in the SSP division but think I'm going to shoot a Remington R1.45 in the next match. I plan on using 10 round magazines loaded to SSP division capacity. As long as I'm not shooting CDP I'm Otay correct?

If you really want to shoot your 1911 with 10 round mags, USPSA Limited 10 division is perfect for you. Not to get into a USPSA vs IDPA thing, but just wanted to mention it.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/270904-Ever-wanted-to-try-USPSA-IPSC-Shooting-(2015) This is perfect for USPSA rookies

True, but a single stack 1911 will be handicapped against double stack 2011s. The more logical place for a single stack 1911 in USPSA is Single Stack.

Not really. Reloads may be slightly harder but with the big singlestack magwell, it's pretty much a wash

True, but a single stack 1911 will be handicapped against double stack 2011s. The more logical place for a single stack 1911 in USPSA is Single Stack.

Handicapped? A 2011 may be a preference for some, but I don't see a handicap. (we're talking about L10 here right) Singlestack has many more restrictions with modifications to the gun, weight limit, belt gear placement, and you can only run 8 rounds in major. The OP was talking about a R1 45 and 10 round mags.

Not really. Reloads may be slightly harder but with the big singlestack magwell, it's pretty much a wash

agreed. a 2011 magwell vs a 1911 magwell really isn't going to ruin your placement. Skill will be a better over-all determination of that.

OP: Just go out and shoot, that is the important thing.

I've got a Dawson ICE magwell on my single stack. My reloads are still significantly slower than on my Glock. I don't have a 2011, but I would assume that my reloads with a 2011 would be similar to those with my Glock.

Of course, if I practiced my reloads more...

Of course, if I practiced my reloads more...

Ah the truth at last. [grin]

I shoot a G17 in IDPA SSP, and I shoot a 1911 with 10 round magazines in USPSA L-10 DIvision. I never even think about the reloads, just when to do them. The skinny mags go in the skinny gun just as fast.

Do you know how to get to Carnegie hall?

Well heck Carnegie Hall is on 7th Ave in New York ipscdrl and I do know how to get there.
I just want to shoot in as much action pistol as possible regardless of it being a steel challenge, USPCA or IDPA. I'm shooting IDPA now and I'm not giving up my vest. It's good concealment and I look good in it when I'm fly fishing. Plus there are not a ton of local places that are growing their action shooting.

Directions to Carnegie!!! PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Back
Top Bottom