.45 1911 or Non 1911

If you're not in a mag restricted state, there's lots of modern service pistols in .45 with double stack mags that are a big improvement over the 7 or 8 round 1911's. May not be very ergonomic, especially if you have smaller hands. FNP-45 is nice and can be had well within that price range. Glock and others if you like the striker fire variants.

Last edited:
I think for carry /defense vs target shooting you would have a whole list of different pros and cons. 1 gun is not ideal for both in my opinion. I would recommend a simple, light, reliable design that has pre ban mags for defense (Glock 9mm!) but they are kind of boring at the range. For the range, I would take the 1911 hands down, it is more fun to shoot, way better trigger, more accurate (for me)

Last edited:
You have a dizzying array of options. I think I would start with what you features and controls you like: SA 1911 style controls. Striker fired-no safety. SA/DA with decocker.

My two favorite .45's that I own are opposite ends of the spectrum but both are good for either purpose of defense or range.
My S&W pro series 1911 is Incredible. It is the 3 inch barrel version with a scandium frame. I have had zero issues with many loads including my handloads. It is very accurate and has the best trigger I have ever owned. It carries very easily and is light.
My HK45 is a different animal but is often my carry choice. It is a "fighting" gun. It is large and expensive but I prefer the single double action trigger. I shoot it very well and I would trust my life to it more than any other pistol I own.
So I guess as always it is to figure out what you prefer to shoot and what you can shoot better then go from there. The options are limitless and many of us have already formed our opinions. We will also defend our preferred pistols against others because we trust our choice, don't let it sway you from trying as many as possible.

1911 will have the best trigger, and the most options to get EXACTLY what you want.

P220 is a nice choice as well, and very reliable, tons of holster options, good trigger, etc.

G21 is cheap and a workhorse. Glocks are Glocks, everyone knows the pros/cons at this point.

P227 is a neat idea too.

I've found the 1911 platform to be unnecessarily heavy in the modern world. Someone needs to popularize the polymer-framed 1911.

I'm a Glock fan, but not a huge fan of carrying their 45's either. That said I've got a Gen4 G30 and a 21SF. Both fit my hand well, but they are F-A-T guns.

I've got a XDS - nice compact gun. A bit aggressive to shoot. Looks stupid.

You'll be hard pressed to find a more concealable platform than a 1911. It'll be heavy for what you are carrying, but it'll be flat against your body.

I've found the 1911 platform to be unnecessarily heavy in the modern world. Someone needs to popularize the polymer-framed 1911.

I usually use weight as a major factor in choosing a pistol. Size relates to weight, somewhat - but not always. I find I can conceal a bigger but lighter gun much more easily, and with variety, than a heavier gun.

My usual choice is a Ruger LC9s - this was meant as a Summer carry, but it winds up with me all the time now, and my lightweight 1911 sits in the safe - 21 vs 38 ounces fully loaded. In a polymer frame, you could probably knock quite a bit of weight down and make it a better carry.

Since you're looking to carry it consider a 1911 in Commander size. As mentioned, the triggers are amazing.

Non 1911? Perhaps a G30S (about the same size as a 19) or the Shield 45. With the G30S you can use the 13rd G21 mags for range/backup.

1911 for home defense and target/range use. There are now ten-round mags available from Wilson, McCormick, MecGar, etc. Everyone should have at least one. Mine's a full-size Sig with 5" barrel and tritium night sights. I actually want to change out to target sights with a "fiber optic" front sight. I have carried my 1911 in either an IWB horsehide/kydex holster, or in a Miami Classic shoulder rig. It's not awful, but you know it's there vs my edc m&p9c which I forget I have it on.

A polymer double-stack with a shorter barrel and the night sights would be preferred for carry. But the .45ACP round out of a lightweight polymer short-barreled gun won't be as fun or as accurate to shoot.

Last edited:
1911s are great guns - impressive history, great triggers, awesome looks.

Get a Glock, they'll actually work reliably.

If you're not wedded to a 1911, stay away, stay far away. at $900 you're not liable to run into much good. Just get a Glock 21, 30, M&P .45, or an XD .45.... CZ97, Sig P220... anything other than a 1911.

And I say that as someone who has two 1911s but I would never in a million years suggest one as a "first .45" .

-Mike

I’d get a Glock 21/30 depending on which tickle your fancy, and use the remaining $300 on a couple prebans a couple holsters and a little ammo.

If the Glock doesn’t do it for you I’d get an MP or maybe an XD45. Just my taste in pistols and I’m sure there are some others. My not a fan of the 1911 as a go to for much of anything.

attachment.php

images

If you're not wedded to a 1911, stay away, stay far away. at $900 you're not liable to run into much good. Just get a Glock 21, 30, M&P .45, or an XD .45.... CZ97, Sig P220... anything other than a 1911.

And I say that as someone who has two 1911s but I would never in a million years suggest one as a "first .45" .

-Mike

This. For the cost of an entry level 1911, I'd rather just get the Glock and have enough left over for a Vintage Pedestal Sink.

I guess I'm a little bit "old school" on this. I love the 1911 and I love DA/SA Sigs. I have not purchased a new fire arm in over 4 years. (Before I returned to Mass..)

Staying with 45 ACP, Sig P220C/P245 are my favorite to carry 6+1 loaded and a couple (or three) spare mags.

That being said, 1911s just fit my hand and aim more naturally than any pistol I've ever held. Their manual of arms is just more complicated than more modern designs...(practice, practice, practice). I've owned close to 3 dozen over the years (Full Size, Combat, Officers, Defender and New Agent) and I've shot them all very well. Although I have a thing about carrying "cocked and locked" (a personal issue) I have shot single action Revolvers from the holster for many years, so cocking a 1911 on the draw is not a problem for me.

Sigs and Glocks have very simple manuals of arms and I shoot them both very well. Glocks just don't feel right in my hands well (haven't had one since Gen 3) while Sigs feel very good. When I practice with the Sigs I alternate between using the DA trigger and cocking it on the draw. At the places I shot in my former state of residence I could draw and shoot at will and my first (DA) shot was just slightly off compared to my first (cocked shot).

So...long story short, I like Sigs AND 1911s but I choose size and weight first...Sig compact 45s for carry.

At one time I owned an auto ordnance 1911, you know the cheap one. I liked it and it felt good in my hand, but at the time it just wasn’t for me and I ended up trading it away. When I went to purchase that, I initially had gone to the store to buy a Ruger SR 45 but I ended up going with the AO
So that’s my only experience with a 1911, or/and a 45 caliber.

I daily carried a 1911 for four years in the Marines, first in the MP's and then during my courier duties with a counterintelligence team. To say that I have a LOT of training on the 1911 platform is a bit of an understatement. I undoubtedly prefer it because of that level of familiarization. I own half a dozen 1911's of various sizes, along with an H&K 45C, a Glock 30 SF and two Shield 45's. My daily driver is a commander size S&W Performance Center. It eats my preferred CCW load (230 Gr. HST +P's), is an absolute tack driver and the beefy frame controls the +P recoil beautifully.

I absolutely love my M&P 45c, shoots amazing and handles real well. 5000ish rounds and I've had zero issuei, not even "new gun blues"

You may need one of each:
M&P 45 with a proper trigger
Sig P220
If you get a 1911, Smith & Wesson is worth considering, because they make a decent product and have a no questions asked lifetime guarantee, even if its 2nd hand pre owned etc. Some of the 1911's can be finicky, and if you get one, then you have the option of bugging S&W until they fix it right on their dime.

Can't speak about Glocks, as I am allergic to them unfortunately.

You may need one of each:
M&P 45 with a proper trigger
Sig P220
If you get a 1911, Smith & Wesson is worth considering, because they make a decent product and have a no questions asked lifetime guarantee, even if its 2nd hand pre owned etc. Some of the 1911's can be finicky, and if you get one, then you have the option of bugging S&W until they fix it right on their dime.

Can't speak about Glocks, as I am allergic to them unfortunately.

1 year no longer lifetime at least according to the web page (not saying they wouldn't warranty it if past a year)
Warranty | Smith & Wesson

Back
Top Bottom