.410 gauge question

A lead slug is fine out of 410 steel shot with a full choke that is not removable is a no no . You will get more accuracy out of cyl bore. I had an 1100 with a fixed full choke that would shoot slugs like a rifle.

410 slug is around .405" give or take a few .00X"
410 is .410" and full choke depending on the manufacture will be .010" - .015" or . 395" .
IF your shotgun was not meant to have slugs rammed through it on the barrel it would say "NO SLUGS" or "SHOT ONLY"
Now will you get good accuracy with a slug through a tight choke.... My experience is no.
Do 410s with fixed chokes come with anything but full choke?

can you safely shoot slugs through a FULL chocked bore, or should it be changed to modified or improved ??
If you have the option to change chokes by all means try it.

For your basic slug like remington and winchester "rifled slug" which is a bit of a joke. They will pass through a choked barrel easily. Now its been a long with since I had my savage 59a.
And things like critcal defense and fancy sabot ammo was just not a thing.

can you safely shoot slugs through a FULL chocked bore, or should it be changed to modified or improved ??
Read the owners owners manual.

Your going to inevitably get a response here that says never shoot slugs through full choke it's dangerous yadayada. My Mossberg 500 manual says full choke is fine for slugs and and I've killed a few deer using it. Bottom line.....read the owners manual every gun is different.

However cylinder bore or IC are a bit more accurate. If you have changeable choke barrel get an ic choke for slugs.

Read the owners owners manual.

Your going to inevitably get a response here that says never shoot slugs through full choke it's dangerous yadayada. My Mossberg 500 manual says full choke is fine for slugs and and I've killed a few deer using it. Bottom line.....read the owners manual every gun is different.

However cylinder bore or IC are a bit more accurate. If you have changeable choke barrel get an ic choke for slugs.

The manual mentions nothing about slugs, and my only other option is a MODIFIED choke tube. It comes with full choke tube installed.....

If you're really nervous, measure the diameter of the barrel, at the choke. Use an internal micrometer.

Then, measure the diameter of the slug(s) you plan on using.

I have never heard of a bad (dangerous) reaction to a slug from a full-choke barrel, so I'd guess it's rare. That said, since there's another option (modified), go with that. Then, try several brands to find which one it likes best.

If you have interchangeable chokes, use one more open!

IF your shotgun was not meant to have slugs rammed through it on the barrel it would say "NO SLUGS" or "SHOT ONLY"

Depends on the shotgun as well as when it was manufactured.

Bottom line.....read the owners manual every gun is different.

Amen. Good words.

I have never heard of a bad (dangerous) reaction to a slug from a full-choke barrel

I have. Belgian Brownings have thin walled FIXED chokes and are known to budge or split with steel shot as well as slugs. Their web site states to NOT shoot steel or slugs through their FIXED choke Belgian guns. In essence, contact the manufacturer or read the owners manual. It all depends on the maker and the barrel specs.

Never officially gauged them, but from experience I'd say Modified and Full. And, while there might be a bit more metal than in a Parker, it's not like an 870 or A5 tube.

Also, the old-school Rifled Slugs were manufactured to be used in pretty much any shottie- even the ancient, full Choked Hardware Store Specials....as some people could only afford 1 gun. They were designed to act like a shuttlecock in flight, with the majority of the weight forward, and a thin skirt. And to be used up close.

Back
Top Bottom