40s&w

There are available loads that use one of the powders I use for .45, so I can use what I have left of that powder as I recently switched powders to Ramshot for .45. IMR 700X is a good clean burning powder, but I don't have much left, and figure that if I'm not going to be using that for .45 any more, I may as well try something else out...

How clean of a powder is W231?

I'm not sure how you'd measure that - makes the barrel and feed ramp dirty after a few hundred rounds (I'm sure on the first round as well). It just seems to work well so I use it.

I guess I should also add that it probably depends on what you're looking to get out of your ammo. I don't approach my pistol rounds the same as I do my match rifle loads. My pistol rounds are for general training purposes and if they hold a 5 inch group at 15 yards from a 5 shot rapid fire, then I'm good with it.

If you're looking for a bullseye type load then others on here are far more experienced than I.

Start here:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/ipscload.htm

I'm currently using a load I got off it; VV N350. I had gotten some for the race gun, pending a supply of 3N38 coming in.

I had been using Red Dot, arguably the most versatile, economical powder out there. I'll use the N 350 up on the .40, then probably go to WST (my .45 propellant) or Clays, depending upon what the then-current cumulative UPSPA wisdom is for .40 loads. [wink]

I use Power Pistol for .40 S&W and 9mm. For .40 I like:

180gr FMJ, 1.130 COL with 6.2gr or 6.4gr PP.

It's got a nice flash to it too. ;)

This is a new cartridge for me, and I haven't done a lot of experimenting. I had several pounds of Unique hanging around because I use it for 20 ga. skeet loads, so I've been using 5.5 gr of Unique under a Magnus 180 gr lead bullet as an easy shooting plinking load. It cycles my P229 fine and seems to be plenty accurate.

4.5Gr Titegroup with a zero 180gr JHP works great for me for the 40.

Add to GTOShootr's list 357SIG and 38spl

That's at about 1.13" OAL for Glock/M&P, right? At that length, with 180s, I was making major at 4.3gr and a sweet minor load at 3.5gr in my G35 (which would get a little more fps with the longer barrel). For the Para and STIs, where OALs can be longer (1.15-1.20"), it was more like 4.7+ to make major with a 180 due to the length change. Results definitely vary from barrel to barrel and major (165+pf) loads are typically above the book so work up to them.

Last edited:
I just remembered, that G35 I spoke of, was Roundguns before mine, and is now Dan Hurley's! Ha, forgot all about that. [grin]

Amazing how they travel isn't it?? The OAL is 1.15 which I originally got from Scott B and used in a revolver but just kept the load and had good luck with it. I am just getting set up for the M&P this weekend and will continue the same and see how it works. I have to finish up some 357SIG loads first.

Regards,

Same here except for 2400, never tried it

It was the very first powder and .40S&W was the very first round I ever reloaded. 2400 just happened to be the powder that matched the bullets I'd bought on the data sheet that the gun shop had in stock. It ended up being a good learning choice because the charge was so big (12 grains I think) that it was impossible to double charge a .40S&W case.

I ended up going with Titegroup. I refuse to use Unique again, even though I still have half a pound left. I found it to be extremely dirty, and I would end up with un-burnt powder on my face and head when I was done shooting.

I ended up going with Titegroup. I refuse to use Unique again, even though I still have half a pound left. I found it to be extremely dirty, and I would end up with un-burnt powder on my face and head when I was done shooting.

I hear - and see - you! A lot of the shooters at our local pistol matches buy their ammo from a local shop that reloads. That shop uses Unique because it's cheap and almost impossible to overcharge a case with.

We can always spot those shooters by the smoke screen that drifts over the stage after they've shot. [wink]

I use WW 231 for all of my non-magnum loads. Relatively clean, extremely consistent, and cheap.

I use WW 231 for all of my non-magnum loads. Relatively clean, extremely consistent, and cheap.

I use it only for my .45ACP and really like it. I just picked up a 4lb jug for $69 at KTP... which usually is expensive.

I've been loading and shooting 40 S&W for a several years while shooting USPSA. I have used Hodgdon Titegroup for the past few years with good results and no 'Ka-booms', which can, and do happen, if you're not aware of a couple important details.

The 40 is a high pressure case. No matter what the old rap says about the 40being 'short and weak', it isn't. It's important to have a very firm taper crimp (but don't distort the case - just firm). I've read some data that showed the CUP pressure doubled by a bullet being pushed into the case .010" during the feed cycle. This is why most guys run 40 a little long in IPSC pistols. It gives you a little safety margin with the right powder. And powder, and its burn rate, is extremely important. In the early days of USPSA limited class using 40, a lot of guys loaded very fast powder (Hodgdon Clays being the most noted - I've had a friend do it with Red Dot too) over a 200 or 220 grain bullet to reduce recoil (it makes the pistol feel like it shoots 'softer'). A lot of guys blew the case head of the cartridge, cracking frames, slides, barrels, and generally scaring the s*&t out of themselves. At this point a lot of people started loading 40 really long (1.220-1.200 oal; Winchester says max oal is 1.135) as protection against bullet setback, over-pressure, and 'Ka-booms' - with mixed results. So all-in-all this doesn't do you much good if you want to load for a standard pistol and chamber (glock, sig, etc.). So what do you use?

Use a powder recommended by the manufacturer for 40S&W and most importantly, for the velocity range you're looking to use it within. The reason I use Titegroup is because I can load it mild to wild at 'standard OAL' over a 180 grain bullet with no signs of pressure. I've used Winchester Super Target for light loads, but it tops out just below the velocity range I normally load in. I can, and have, loaded it above recommended max load but the more I learned about 40, the less I experimented around the edges. Hodgdon Clays is another good light load powder, and there are others. There are powders out there that really push light bullets (read: fast velocity), safely. Read the manufactures web sites, it's all there.

If you've loaded a lot of 45, just be aware that the internal case pressure of the 40 is much higher than a 45 and treat it with the respect it deserves. I've only had one problem with a 40, a double charge using Winchester Action Pistol ( which I liked - but was discontinued), and the damage to the pistol was impressive. Fortunately for me, the only damage was the pistol.

Please don't be put off by the above. The 40 is a great cartridge with a lot of flexibility. You can load bullets from 135 to 200 grains safely, and I've loaded them all. It's probably one of the most flexible auto pistol cartridges you can find. I've shot plates, IPSC, IDPA, 3 gun, pins, even PPC with it. For more info, go to Brianenos.com, there is tons of info on 40 and reloading it.

This past weekend I had a chance to run some of my test loads through one of my guns.

I found that 4.5gr of Titegroup under a 180gr polymer coated bullet seated at 1.125 using WSP primers worked flawlessly. The recoil was snappy, but was very similar to WWB ammo, yet not quite what I get with my carry loads.

Overall, I was impressed with the powder. It was very clean, and had little to no smoke after the cartridge was fired. Unless someone can give me a good reason, I will be sticking with this powder.

Thanks for all the help
Adam

One of the VV powders is supposed to be good too but it is so expensive I've never felt the need to try it after Scott gave me TG data. If you try some of the longer loadings, test some dummy rounds in your mags first. The Glock-sized mags can't take the length that the Paras and S_Is can.

Winchester worked closely with S&W in developing the .40 so the powders they recommend are well suited for this purpose. I have found that 231 works well for IPSC major/165. Hotter loads may require a slower powder like AA7. In this respect the .40 is like the 38 Super.

I have experimented with 155, 180, and 200 gr bullets. I use 155 swc lead in practice because they are cheap. They do seem to produce slightly more recoil than 180s. I find that the 200s produce a softer recoil but I am not sure that this is an advantage as my sights seem to get back on target more quickly with the 180s that I use in matches.

The heavier bullets (200 and up) should be used with caution as the diminished case capacity can cause pressures to increase drastically. Personally, I don't think they are worth the effort and potential risk.

The heavier bullets (200 and up) should be used with caution as the diminished case capacity can cause pressures to increase drastically. Personally, I don't think they are worth the effort and potential risk.

AGREED. The 200 grain bullets are designed for real 10 mm cartridges. Those bullets fail my cost/benefit analysis and I won't load anything heavier than 180 grains in my .40.

Back
Top Bottom