1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Massachusetts to suspend drivers licenses of state tax nonpayers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hikerlt, Jul 17, 2008.

1. hikerlt

hikerlt Member

saw this posted on another forum:

http://www.thementalmilitia.com/forums/index.php?topic=18321.0

Massachusetts could soon have a new weapon in its ongoing war against tax cheats: Don’t pay your taxes, and you will lose your driver’s license.

That’s the latest strategy to recover millions of dollars from an estimated 150,000 hard-core scofflaws who ignore repeated warnings from the taxman to pay up or work out a payment plan.

Massachusetts already suspends professional licenses of tax delinquents, garnishes wages and places liens on bank accounts and home sales. In moving to add driver’s license suspensions, Massachusetts joins Rhode Island, Louisiana and the District of Columbia.

Currently, people who haven’t paid their income tax receive a series of notices as soon as the state realizes money is owed or a return hasn’t been filed.

But there could soon be a new twist. If tax deadbeats don’t pay, appeal or work out a payment plan, they’ll be informed the Registry of Motor Vehicles is going to suspend their licenses.

The measure is tucked deep within the $28.3 billion state budget on Gov. Deval Patrick’s desk. It is part of a range of tough tax enforcement measures the governor and legislative leaders agreed to in order to collect $157 million next year from taxpayers

The plan would take effect as soon as the budget is signed.

State gets license to keep tax cheats off roads
    July 11, 2008

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/politics/view.bg?articleid=1106381&srvc=rss

2. Geoff C

Geoff C Member

I have no problem with this. If I have to pay, so shouldn't you.

P.S. > unless this costs more than it will bring in

3. JRyan

JRyan Member

Knowing this state half of the tax payers will randomly lose their licenses if this goes through.

something about this bothers me though, I have to think about it. maybe it's because of his views on illegals.

4. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

[laugh2]Every illegal driving without a liscense is laughin at that one.[rofl]

5. tele_mark

tele_mark Member

Didn't they pull some sort of shit like this in the 80's -- take away driving privileges for something else that had absolutly nothing to do with driving? It definitely feels like the Duke is back. Cool little retro trip, except I don't get to feel like I'm in my 20's again.

6. Pete85

Pete85 Member

I don't see how this will make people pay their taxes since it seems driving without a liscense doesn't cary a huge penalty from what I've seen. A kid I used to work with got busted driving on a suspended liscense. I don't think they even followed up after driving him home. He was 18 or 19 at the time.

This seems like it would be good, but only if they enforce it.

7. clinotus

clinotus Member

If people are throwing away tax notices -official documents from the state, what makes them think that something from the RMV will change their tune.

8. wolf223

wolf223 Guest

typical mass, cali & new york crap! what if the person doesn't have a car or DL?

idiots!

i support this on one hand, as a tax paying bla bla bla citizen... but at the same time, why is it that these states attach everything to your DL? but the f'in idiots do it half ass - (i.e. don't suspend registration, don't check to see if DL is suspended / revoked to register / insure a car - GENERALLY SPEAKING for those legal types).

Child Support late? we'll take your DL

Owe Taxes? we'll take your DL

Convicted of Drug Offense? we'll take your DL

***as others have stated, how many of these people have a DL in the first place***

second, if the shit-bag dosen't pay his taxes or child support, how is taking his DL gonna help? your gonna let him walk for at least 30 times before he or she does time anyway.

morons... LOL

issue a warrant and let him or her make some license plates! mother effers!

9. Another_David

Another_David NES Member

+1 and I'll be one of them

I got a letter from the Mass DOR just last week saying they have no record of me paying my estimated taxes for 2007 as I reported on my annual. I have to mail them copies of canceled checks as proof of payment. Meanwhile, they've sent me another letter with the amount 'past due' with penalties.

I'd like to charge them a frigin penalty and revoke Deval's driver's license too.

10. Coyote33

Coyote33 Member

And we're crying!

11. Martlet

Martlet Member

Absolutely. A year or two after I moved to MA, I started getting letters from the state saying I owed income tax for the year prior to moving to MA. I did not live or work in MA the year they charged me for. I fought with them for months, showing rental agreements, pay stubs, fed tax returns, etc, all showing I was living in NH. After a few months they seized my bank accounts. It took divine intervention from a highly placed friend to get them refunded and the matter cleared. It took YEARS to get the lien removed.

I was absolutely irate. They can just randomly say you own money, seize your assets, and make you prove your innocence.

12. ZenShooter

ZenShooter Member

Martlet's experience is exactly what's wrong with this idea. I've also had the state write me to claim that I didn't file for years that I did, to claim that I didn't pay for years I have cancelled checks, etc. A law like this presumes that the state is accurate in their assessment of who owes taxes.

I wonder how much of that $157 million is phantom income, from clerical errors on the part of the state.

As to the guilty-until-proven-innocent part, taxes have always been that way. With the IRS or various state and local authorities, the burden of proof is on the taxpayer. It's downright Napoleonic. The King will have his "fair" share, whether you actually owe it or not.

13. Dick

Dick Member

If the state knows enough about the individuals involved to lift their DLs, then it knows enough about them to issue subpoenas, give them their day in court, attach salaries and seize property, etc., etc. THAT's the correct way to get this done, not BSing around with drivers licenses. Might as well revoke their library cards. Does the insanity never stop in this Commie hell-hole?

14. Viking Kitten

Viking Kitten Member

All too often we hear of repeat drunk drivers causing yet another accident while driving with a suspended license, people "lose their license" for significant histories of unpaid parking tickets yet they still drive around every day.

Dick is right - if you know this much about someone then hit 'em where it hurts.

Then again, I suspect most of us may not even know when there's a warrant or other form of "something" out for us. A few years ago I moved and updated my address with the town where I moored my boat, so I updated with both the harbormaster and the town (they get excise on the boat).

Neither one of them updated my address and of course my mail forwarding order had expired by the subsequent round of mailings. I didn't get them, didn't think about it (yes, shame on me) and wham, I eventually found out there was a warrant for failure to file my boat info so they could bill my excise tax.

Absolutely no way for me to provide they had my correct address and just didn't update it so yep, I was briefly a criminal!

15. JonJ

JonJ Moderator

A "Warrant" for excise is NOT an arrest warrant. It's a demand for payment.

16. jhblaze1

jhblaze1 Member

taking away peoples' means of getting to work where they earn the money that is taxed in the first place seems like a sound way to solve the problem....[thinking]

does anyone in our state gov actually THINK before they push for policy? Nevermind, I know the answer to that...

17. FunYun

FunYun Member

Fucking worthless, feel good foofoo.

If you can't recover taxes with garnishment, then how the hell does taking away somes means of transportation help? You take away almost any ability for that person to make money to pay off their debt, brilliant!

18. Adam_MA

Adam_MA Member

That's exactly what makes the DOR/IRS the most powerful government agency(s) in existence. No due process required for your sentence!

19. doobie

doobie Banned

Don't pay taxes = lose license
    Get a DUI = slap on the wrist and you are back on the road ready for your second, third, fourth DUI.