400 to spend for first gun

WTB...MY FIRST GUN

Hi...looking to buy my first gun...prefer a 9mm or .380..prob is i only have 400 to spend...any ideas welcome..thanks

Well, you might find a used Glock for that price. Maybe. A new Sigma would fit that price and they are a pretty decent gun for the money. Personally, I would stay away from the .380 for my first gun.

Revolvers are good too. I used to turn up my nose at them but now it's all I own for handguns. I will have an auto again but they are lacking from the current inventory. I don't know where you are located but you should be able to find a shooter grade Smith & Wesson (any of the K frames would be good) in that price range.

Thanks

Thanks guys...why not the .380? too much kick?I live in Plymouth..would love a mp 9 but plymouth bay wants 585 for it and 610 for the mp45...think new is out of my range!!!

SHOESSS, when you say "first gun" do you mean your first carry gun, or literally your first gun?

If it's literally your first gun, go get something in .22LR. The savings in ammo as you practice will pay for the gun in a matter of months versus what you would pay for any centerfire caliber.

If you really want to buy something in 9 or 380, there's a Walther PPK in the classifieds right now for $400 http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59168

SHOESSS, when you say "first gun" do you mean your first carry gun, or literally your first gun?

If it's literally your first gun, go get something in .22LR. The savings in ammo as you practice will pay for the gun in a matter of months versus what you would pay for any centerfire caliber.

+1

i bought a 9mm for my first gun, now i wish i had a .22 since i cant afford/cant find ammo to shoot it! i shoot my .22 rifle 10 times more than my pistol

Thanks guys...why not the .380? too much kick?I live in Plymouth..would love a mp 9 but plymouth bay wants 585 for it and 610 for the mp45...think new is out of my range!!!

No, a .380 has less kick then a 9 but it's 'marginal' at best as a self-defense round.

IMHO .380 is not an effective self defense round , just my opinion, do your own research.

try to find .380 ammo right now.. stuff is made out of unobtanium ya know.

don't jump at the first gun you see. There are good deals to be had on this board, especially if you are "green" so wait until something good shows up rather than running out and buying something you will grow tired of

thanks

thanks guys..yeah first gun of any kind...thought .22's were kids guns...cant get much greener than me!

no a .22 is a plinker

great for range time because it is cheap as hell to shoot

great to develop your shooting skills with

also good for disposing of small troublesome critters

your in the wrong section. there is a wanted to buy section

Well, if you want to nitpick, technically he shouldn't even be in the classifieds since he is more asking an open question. [wink] The mods will move it I am sure so no worries and welcome.

A used Beretta 92 FS or a beretta 9000fs are good guns for that price range. You may even get the 9000 new with that. You can probably find a used M&P for that much too. Stick with 9 mm for now, cheaper to shoot and all around better than a .380.

.22 = tons of fun for a long time! search for threads about the Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, and the ruger MII , MIII and 22/45.. and judge for your self. Get your self a .22 and a bunch of ammo and magazines.

keep in mind tho. sig mags are hard to find and running rate is 45-50bucks in gun shops. P22 mags i've seen for 15bucks a pop. not sure about ruger ones. just a heads up.

like i said in your other thread you posted. you can pick up a Kahr CW9 for about $429 brandy new. Well worth it IMO. I believe the .40 is the same price as well. Its a little more expensive to feed but its a better personal defense round than 9mm. Good luck, keep us posted with what you decide to purchase.

Carr's sporting goods in Taunton Ma on 138 has a nice S&W P99 .40cal for $450
I had it in my hands 2 days ago, it is mint. Was buying a different gun that day if not I would have grabbed it myself. You may even be able to get them to let it go for $400 who knows. Anyhow good luck w/ your purchase.

Yeah, I like the idea of a .22, although my first was a 9mm. .22s are fun, ammo is cheap, great for all the things mentioned before.

Whether you want a carry or a fun gun as a first - is really up to you. I would get one I could learn from and gain confidence with, and take it from there.

Get a .22 first. I just got into shooting about 1 year ago and wish I bought my .22 BEFORE I bought my 9mm s&w sigma. That thing was sooo discouraging to shoot when it wasn't broken in and I had zero trigger time. Beware of the Ruger 22/45s as mine is very ammo picky, stuff likes to hang up on the feed ramp. A walther p22 would be fun or maybe a Ruger of some sorts.

I agree with the .22 sentiment and think you'd serve yourself well with a Ruger Mark II. If however, you're absolutely set on getting a centerfire pistol, skip the .380 altogether. In the $300.00 price range your choices are limited, but I think a Ruger 9mm or a S&W Sigma would be a good place to start. I also agree with Will's assessment on a wheel gun. A good used Smith and Wesson or Ruger .357 Magnum would serve you well...Good luck in your search...

Check the classifieds section on this site as there are usually some pretty good deals and most of the time will be less than a dealer. (no tax either)

If you really want to buy something in 9 or 380, there's a Walther PPK in the classifieds right now for $400 http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59168

thanks guys..yeah first gun of any kind...thought .22's were kids guns...cant get much greener than me!

I would STRONGLY second the idea of the .22 as a first gun. The ammo savings will encourage you to practice a lot more which will help you immeasurably to develop your skills. Also, even though 9mm is the most affordable center-fire pistol round it is still far more expensive than .22 rounds.

WWB 9mm 100 round value packs are climbing over $20.00. For the same amount of money you can buy a 550 round value pack of Federal .22 ammo. I routinely go through one of these value packs when I go to the range split between my Sig Mosquito and my Ruger 10/22.

So, 550 rounds of 9mm= approximately $110.00, 550 rounds .22= 20.00. At a difference of about $90.00 for 500+ rounds it won't take you long to save enough money to go buy your 9mm.

I begrudgingly accepted the advice here and bought a .22 for my first pistol even though the 1911 .45 I was gonna buy was clearly the most awesome gun ever. It turned out to be the best move I could have made.

Whatever your decision, good luck and welcome to NES,
Matt

+1 on 22 LR's. Shoot, shoot and shoot some more. When at the range ask around, and most guys will let you shoot their CF pistols, you may learn what you like dislike and save you some money when you end up with a carry or CF pistol.
I have many centerfire handguns, and whenever I head to the range I always pack more 22's than anything else. Great guns to learn on, and even for seasoned shooters they are great practice guns, great fun.
Ruger Mark II or III are solid choices, readily available, mags are cheap and they can be easily made into match quality pistols for not much money.

Back
Top Bottom