40 vs 45 or 9mm

With so many articles written on issues regarding stopping power and accuracy... it seems that 40 is the best choice. 45 has so much recoil and 9mm has the accuracy but requires special load... any opinion on this. It looks like that the trend now is toward the 40s... thanks.

I got a .40 because it seemed like the best of both worlds. A powerful round, that I could get in a smaller platform. However I believe that my .40 has a much more powerful recoil then my .45. It is because the bullet velocities of a .40 round are much faster than the larger .45.

If you have the chance, try them both out.. I think you will be surprised at how much the smaller .40 kicks

Adam

Well, here's my opinion.

I prefer the 40 over the other two, under most circumstances.

The velocity of the 40 with 180 gr bullets, and the 45 with 185 gr bullets is about the same, IIRC. Therefore, they'll have about the same power. With the 230 gr 45, nothing comes close to it, (practical) Semi Auto wise.

The 9 is less power, but will get the job done, IF you put the bullet in the right place.

Ability is FAR more important than power of the ammo.

Better a hit with a 22, than a miss with a 9, 40 or 45.

ETA - I've got a couple of 9's and a couple of 45's (one auto, one revolver). Son-in-law has a 40, as well as my step mother (in her 80's).

I carry a 9mm with 147gr Hydra Shok. I know some people are big fans of the big hole theory, but I am very confident with my 9mm. I am sure it would do the job.

As far as a .45 goes - it depends on the weight of the gun itself. Hubby used to have a Megastar Lg. cap .45 - I loved that gun. It had less recoil that my .40 Sigma, but for my small hands it was like holding a tree trunk, but I was more accurate with it and could fire faster. Currently I'm carrying my Smith 9mm, (due to hand surgeries and CT starting again in the right hand, the .40 hurts too much to practice with) however, if I had my druthers, I love my .40 and feel good about carrying it (well, at least when I used to). I'm not worried about whether or not I'll hit the target, it's just that when I hit that mother, I want him down. I know a well placed 9mm will put him down...I guess I just want it to hurt the sob more. [wink]

Oh, don't misunderstand what I believe about having enough power to put the perp down. I prefer the 7.62 NATO (308) or 7.62x54R over anything else for putting a "target" down, and that's military target or non-mailitary target. I'm not overly fond of the reduced caliber, 223/5.56. And a 30 Caqrbine is a cruel joke as far as I'm concerned. I figure minimum caliber for defensive purposes with a handgun is 380 or 9mm Makarov.

I actually own a .38 S&W.

I have purchased a Steyr M9, haven't used it yet.

I want to return it.. as the dealer where I purchsed if from do not have parts available, they don't even have an extra mag for sale... I JUST WANT AN EXTRA MAGAZINE! AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE IT!

Its making me nervous.. how about if I've got other issues like a blownup barrel ... I couldnt even buy a magazin how bout more a barrel? what am I gonna do with it... what they have is just basically the unit and everthing that came with it.. 2 mags, two keys and the case, ofcourse the pistol too!

The supplier said she will have parts and mags coming in but when... only she or steyr knows.... could my future kids havit? I need an assurance in this generation! :x

I was thinking of getting a P99 .40 or maybe a 9mm... or a Glock 19 or 23... I don't know what to do... [oops]

Hiram,

Are you able to order gun parts on line, or magazines? I'm not familiar with your laws. Do you HAVE to go through the dealer?

Lynne said:
Hiram,

Are you able to order gun parts on line, or magazines? I'm not familiar with your laws. Do you HAVE to go through the dealer?

As I understand that would not be possible... it will be definitely confiscated upon entering this country... dealers have special permits in ordering parts... that is why they could make a killing on the prices down here!

Yes. No Dealer. No Parts. [cry]

Bro Hiram, check with Steyr (website?) to see who their distributor is for that region. Then check with distributor for who might be a stocking dealer for parts or if they will accept a special order thru your local dealer?

Don't know if this is any help, but it's all I can think of short of leaving the country, picking up parts and worrying about getting them back in thru your Customs as "personal property" (don't know the legalities of this).

that's actually one more good thing about your country... you can almost buy anything on line! Ofcourse there will be ways to get those parts but its gonna cost... could end up Mr. Gates being a pauper! :D

LenS said:
Bro Hiram, check with Steyr (website?) to see who their distributor is for that region. Then check with distributor for who might be a stocking dealer for parts or if they will accept a special order thru your local dealer?

Don't know if this is any help, but it's all I can think of short of leaving the country, picking up parts and worrying about getting them back in thru your Customs as "personal property" (don't know the legalities of this).

Thanks for that brother LenS. I just felt that I was somewhat dupped when the dealer didnt tell me that Steyr have stopped producing the M9.

Is there anybody here who could tell me if the magazine for the M-1A is interchangeable with the M9? Thanks.

Ouch that would be very limiting and make me nervous too.

I know nothing about Steyr, so didn't know that it was an obsolete model.

I sent them an e-mail already and have not receive any response yet. It could take some time... will follow it up with them though... basically, what I was praying for is for them to show some sort of a support on their product by providing their dealer with parts. I dont need any services yet for the pistol but I dont want to wait until I'll be needing one. :(

LenS said:
Ouch that would be very limiting and make me nervous too.

I know nothing about Steyr, so didn't know that it was an obsolete model.

Everytime I go home I will look at the gun case, open it hold the gun and wish that I can use it without worrying on the availability of parts in case the pistol cranks up. I indulged myself in this hobby so I really need to prepare myself in spending some good money but at least the parts should be readily available.

I posted an inquiry about whether the latest model of Steyr 9mms [M9 and M-A1] are compatible or interchangeable. Hope some guys here may be able to assist me by providing information on this. Thanks.

Which ever round and firearm you can shoot comfortably, reliably and with the most accuracy and confidence is the one to go with. Don't get caught up in numbers. All handguns are marginal and defensive.

If I had to prioritize them, I would say my preference for self-defense among those calibers would be .45, 9, then .40.

Even with all of that, the round I carry most frequently is .38 Special in a tricked-out snubby.

I went to the range yesterday afternoon and shot with a .45... oowaahh, the recoil was too great to handle for me.... it was very changellenging though! I had some good shots and grouping with it but man... even on my way home drivin my hands, even my whole body were still shaking! [oops]

hiram_Abiff said:
I went to the range yesterday afternoon and shot with a .45... oowaahh, the recoil was too great to handle for me.... it was very changellenging though! I had some good shots and grouping with it but man... even on my way home drivin my hands, even my whole body were still shaking! [oops]

The .20 definately has a bite to it, Hiram. But the more you practice with it, the less you notice it and get used to it.

When it comes to larger calibers, Hiram, start with a nine and you'll be fine!

Save the big stuff like .45 and .40 for when you have a few hundred more rounds down range.

Work into it slowly.

My fingers had a momentary seizure...I meant to type .45. I have NO idea where the .20 came from. [roll] I agree with Cross, Hiram - shoot the 9 and get used to shooting that, then you can move up to the .45. But what I said also holds true. The more you shoot it the more comfie you'll get with it.

I am of the opinion that it's better to hit with a .22 LR (or 9mm), than to miss with a 500 S&W (or 45 ACP).

I have a couple of 9's and a couple of 45's, plus other stuff. All will get the job done (even the wife's 22), as long as you put the bullet in the proper place.

I like the .40 but I have no issues with the 9mm. The .45 is a bit big and I generaly don't like the size of the grips on a .45. But as has been said before, you have to hit the target/tango for it to matter, so get what you shoot/feel the best with.

Back
Top Bottom