• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.40 S&W with 231? Anybody

Does anybody have experience loading 180gr .40 S&W using Winchester 231?

I have had good luck using this powder for the last couple of years with various 45's, 9's and 38's but I need a place to start with my new 40 loads.

I am looking for IPSC major loads and light steel loads

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you thought to contact Winchester to get what info they might have for reloading .40S&W 180gr with the 231 powder?

They should be able to provide some reloading data. Might even be on their website (I've never looked, but it is worth a shot).

For IPSC and Steel loads, the best place to look is in the Brian Enos forum. There is a subforum of the reloading forum just for .40/10mm loads. Just do a keyword search in there for "231" and you'll get a ton of data. Be mindful of the type of gun referenced, the OAL listed, and work up to the load, especially for major .40 where pressure is an issue.

I think you'll find Winchester Super Target used over 231 and Hodgons TiteGroup used the most. I use TG in major and minor .40 and .45 and minor 9mm with success.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to the B.E. site to check it out. I have had a couple of guys I shoot with mention that 231 may not be the best powder for .40 cal loads. I will see what I can come up with.

I actually keep a printed out version of Winchester's loading data booklet that I downloaded with my other manuals. Typically, I have not found Winchester's data to be useful to me only because they never seem to list the actual bullets I am using. Wether it is due to weight, copper plating, shape or the combination of all three of these.

Jeff Maas' website lists many IPSC load combinations as tested by various people including some well-known guys such as Dick Metcalf, Layne Simpson, Bruce Gary, etc., as well as factory information. The data includes multiple combinations of 40 S&W using 231.

The list covers a wide variety of bullet types. The data is fairly extensive and includes information not typically found elsewhere, such as cartridge OAL, barrel lengths, resultant PF, etc. This list won't answer all your questions, but it offers quite a bit of input as you make your own decisions.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/ipscload.htm

Back
Top Bottom