.40 s&w/Unique rounds

So I got out to the range to check out some samples of 2 new (to me) recipies. I was a little surprised at the results. Assuming I shot these two groups pretty much the same, could there be this much difference? These are 6 inch targets at 7 yards, 10 rounds each. The first is 170 Gr. Precision Bullets RNF hardcasts, with 5.3 grains of Unique. The second is a 185 gr. FMJ RNF with 5.5 grains of Unique. Recoil was about the same, and not much of a delay between sets -- just long enough to pick up the first set of brass, examine it, and load the mag
again.

target1.jpg

target2.jpg

Yes, there could be that much difference. That's why one works up different loads. So you can see what works best in your gun.

I do that all the time with my cowboy loads. To see what is going to give me the best accuracy.

tele_mark said:
So I got out to the range to check out some samples of 2 new (to me) recipies. I was a little surprised at the results. Assuming I shot these two groups pretty much the same, could there be this much difference?

I think the second target answered your question pretty well...[smile]

Outta curiousity, what gun are you shooting the ammo from?

Well, I'm pretty impressed, but also a little disturbed that there can be that much difference at 7 yards. The gun is a full size P99. The first target represents pretty much the results I was getting with WWB ammo when I first got the gun before I started reloading.

Last edited:
tele_mark said:
The first target represents pretty much the results I was getting with WWB ammo when I first got the gun before I started reloading.
And there you have one of the main reasons for reloading!

Good results, and a great post. I would think that Unique powder would be a bit on the slow side for 40S&W, but the second target seems to say it's working just fine.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
And there you have one of the main reasons for reloading!

Good results, and a great post. I would think that Unique powder would be a bit on the slow side for 40S&W, but the second target seems to say it's working just fine.

Adam

Actually, I was using 2400 for my first reloads, so this powder is a step up in speed.

I'm wondering if the bullet itself had the biggest effect. I was using Lee's Modern Reloading for the load data. Both are starting loads. There wasn't a recipe for a 185 gr., so I used the one for 190 gr, FMJ.

Think I'll buy some different FMJ's and lead bullets to try next time with Unique, and see if I get similar results.

I can see how this turns into a hobby in itself. It isn't rocket science, but, it is!

I like Unique for my cowboy loads. It's nice because it's not fast and keep me under my limit.

For normal shooting, I use Winchester Super Target. That's good stuff. But again, try a different manual. I have the Lymans, and it's great. Has all kinds of recipeies.

Don't forget, and I do this all the time. Call Unique. Tell them what you're wanting to use, and they will tell you what to load. I haven't called a power company that didn't give out loading data if you call and ask.

I use TiteGroup in .40, which is similar to WST, and it groups very well.

I try to let someone else shoot my gun in addition to me when want to see groups. The results should be consistent from shooter to shooter.

Back
Top Bottom