• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

40 s&w powder

Hodgdgon Titegroup or Vitavihouri N320. Some connoisseurs prefer N320 because is reportedly less dirty, but I have good luck with Titegroup.

Last edited:
I agree with Palladin on using a 165 grain bullet. I read an article this year about how the 180 grain bullets increase the pressure to scary levels if you seat the bullets too deep or if an extra .1 or .2 grains of powder is dropped in the case.

Lyman 50th Ed. lists max charges of Power Pistol as the best accuracy load for 155 and 165 grain jacketed bullets. I'm also a fan of Blue Dot. At 8.3 grains, it'd be tough to double charge the case without noticing.

I use hp-38, mainly because i have a lot of it, under a hornady 155 gr. xtp. and out of a 5" bbl. getting good results. works well with cast as well for me.

I use HP-38, which I believe is the same as Win 231, which I was able to get for a less money when my 231 ran out. I was using a 155 and 165 grain projectiles with good results (to me good results = accurate ammo with the lowest powder charge that will cycle reliably)

What do you want to do with it?
Bullseye accuracy out to 50 yards? I find that for all weights of bullets, AA5 has been most accurate, but only for light to mid-range loads, with Silhouette being most accurate for heavier loadings. For my .40s, I find that 155gn L-SWCs are the most accurate, followed by 175gn L-SWCs. I'm not rich enough to try JHPs and plated have been a total waste of money.
Action Pistol? For minor loads, 180+ gn bullets and almost any fast powder. Be careful though, as .40s&w doesn't have the web strength of 9x19 cases and .40 is known for blowing cases due to over-pressure from fast powders and pressure spikes.
Note: If .40 had been down-graded like 10mm Auto, it would be a 140 PF round.
General plinking? Almost any powder will work. Open your manual and pick one.
Any way, if I had to choose one powder for .40, it would be Silhouette, followed by True Blue and Power Pistol.
Don't like fast powders in this cartridge and really don't like spikey powders like TiteGroup, N310, and Clays.

I don't load .40, but here's some advice from a friend that's very experienced loading the .40 S&W:

Scrivener said:
Winchester Super Target. VERY easy to see, almost impossible to overcharge w/o noticing, and it meters very well.

I use about 5.0 grains (season to taste) under a 180 poly-coated RNFP.

I liked Titegroup with 180gr. I also used 231 when I didn't have Titegroup. Tried HS6 but I couldn't get a complete burn even at 176pf. Probably because the barrel ports started about an inch after the chamber. I do load 40 long, around 1.18-1.2

I like clays but it's a bit touchy. It gets up to pressure quickly.
180 grain bullet I run 3grains cycles my SW 4013 just fine
I clays for a lot of pistol shooting and shotgun

I've had pretty good luck with Winchester WSF. Makes Major for USPSA easily.

The trick with 40 is using published starting loads and then making a ladder from there. Obviously chrono your loads and really look for signs of pressure.

Loading 40 doesn't have to be as scary as some make it out to be. Just use caution and good sense.

What are you trying to accomplish with your hand loading for 40? Competition? Hunting? Somethinf else?

4.9gr of VV N320 with 180gr projectiles. Unfortunately, I have no chrono data yet to share, but hope to soon.

Edit: I load a bit long & this is for my STI DVC Limited, so it can handle the pressure fine. I still need to do a bit more 'testing'

Back
Top Bottom