• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.40 S&W Defense ammo

I am acquiring a M&P 40 Full size. I will be using it for Security and Personal Defense. What kind of ammo would you recommend? I was looking at hornady Critical duty and Defense, however I am disappointed that they are packaged in only 20 round boxes.

It used to be you saw 50 rnd boxes of good HP SD rounds everywhere. Now they all seem to only come in 20 rnd boxes.

Horndy is good. I still use Gold Dots myself.

I am acquiring a M&P 40 Full size. I will be using it for Security and Personal Defense. What kind of ammo would you recommend? I was looking at hornady Critical duty and Defense, however I am disappointed that they are packaged in only 20 round boxes.

There are some stores that carry 50round LE boxes. Most of the civilian packaging is 20 round boxes, which are complete ripoffs. Make a drive up to Riley's and Collectable Arms & Ammo in NH, they usually are pretty well stocked with 50 round boxes.

In general I recommend Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, and winchester Ranger. Of your choices, I would go with Critical Duty over Critical Defense

Where are you finding Win Ranger T? Do any dealers stock the stuff in New England or do you have to order it?

I've watched lots of Ballistic Gel videos for .40 and have to say IMHO, the 165gr Remington Golden Sabre has the best expansion and penetration without over penetrating. I have 180gr Golden Sabres since it was given to me.

Back
Top Bottom