.40 reloads for USPSA Major - any recommendations

Be careful about any loads you get from STI/SVI/clone users, since those tend to be a longer overall length and those guns have more chamber support than a Glock.

I use 4.7gr Titegroup behind a 180 FMJ bullet seated to 1.20 (typo corrected). I strongly recommend you do NOT use this charge for a Glock without doing a lot of workup first (You'll probably find it is excessive for standard length rounds in a Glock). SVI length fotay rounds won't even fit in a Glock mag.

Last edited:
In a general sense, coated 180gr bullets from any of the manufacturers, on top of N320 is a very common load.

I use 200gr over N320 in my RIA 1911 high cap.

180 Xtreme 180gr on top of 4.7gr tite group @ 1.175" w/ Winchester small pistol magnum primer. As state above, work up a load to your gun. I use a custom STI...

Carl what are you looking at for bullets? For 180-190gr coated lead I've used W231/HP38 or WST. Lots of others use N320. For plated/jacketed I use Titegroup. Are you shooting mags with extensions? I've found that OAL is limited by Dawson extensions. I was able to load longer with 10/15 rd mags in my Glock and 10 rdin my M&P but had to reduce to 1.125" OAL with the Dawsons.

N320 and Titegroup are the two most popular powders for USPSA Major fotay loads.

I use Titegroup and am quite happy with it.

Dont use Clays.

Unless you want your glock to be in pieces... see piggy gif above
Ditto for any fotay. Clays can produce some nice soft 40 loads, but is VERY sensitive to the charge and even being slightly off will trash your weapon.

Last edited:
4.3 Titegroup under a 180 polymer coated lead pill loaded to 1.17 gets me around 170pf out of a 5" STI (with a bar-sto barrel). good shooting load but dirty. I'd rather be using N320 but it got hard to find and I have plenty of titegroup so I save the VV for my 9mm loads.

Great info here! Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out. I've found some titegroup and ordered some 180 grain xtreme plated bullets. Based on the books it seems like about 4.4 grains will get me to pf. I'm running extended mags so someone suggested I load a little shorter. So I'll probably start my loads at 4.2 grains and see what that results in for velocity. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom