• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.40 or 9mm

The capacity is limited in MA anyways so that's a moot point.

It's not a moot point because if you stick to something like a Glock, Beretta, Sig, Ruger, or even some of the HKs, preban mags are available for all of them which would allow you to use the gun as it was intended, with a normal capacity mag.

-Mike

The triggers on the m&ps are horrid, that alone would make me stay away from them.

This is true for a bone-stock, unmodified example.

However, for $5 you can get the 49 state trigger return spring, which makes a big difference. With a file, some sandpaper, and a vice you can make an otherwise crap-tastic stock MA M&P trigger very nice. Mine is smooth, has essentially zero over-travel, and about a 6 lb trigger pull weight, maybe a little less.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, there's a bunch of places that'll do it for you for pretty short money. Given the low cost of an M&P, it's really really worth giving one a chance. Some people *love* the ergonomics, so they clearly fit a lot of people.

If capacity is important, I recommend buying something for which a ready supply of pre-bans is available. Some examples (round counts are flush-fit mags):

Glock 17 or 19 - 9mm pre-bans (17rd or 15rd)

Sig 229 - 9mm (13rd) and 40s&w pre-bans (12rd)

Sig 226 - 9mm pre-bans (15rd)

40s&w is harder because of the newness of the cartridge relative to the AWB date.

Personally, I really have trouble buying something for which I can only used a neutered magazine.

small bit to add to this, on the 229(or 228) those 15 round 226 mags are easily converted to be 229 mags, and they hardly stick out much.

Truth be told, a carry could be anything from a .22lr up to a .45ACP. A hole is a hole, no matter how you slice it. And a hole in an artery....well, in 75 seconds, it won't matter which round was used.

Dude, you can hit arteries? You must be an awesome shot.[grin]

I guess I just need more practice. But for now i will try to get bye with just putting big ass chunks of lead somewhere in the middle of my target, right around the chest area.

Here's my advice: if you want maximum number of rounds, go with 9mm, but buy a gun that has readily available pre-ban mags. If you want a big bang and larger energy delivered on target, but are ok with lower capacity, go with 45. If you want a compromise between the two, go with .40.

WOAH! My G30 is 10+1 with factory mags and 13+1 with G21 mags. I can add extensions and go to 15+1 in .45 (of course it weights a ton and is impractical to carry, at least for me and my body type.)

Why bother with a .45 when you can have a .50? I keep the 9mm on my left hip and the .40 on the right. That way the recoil feels equal when firing both at the same time. [smile]

Anyone have a link to EC's rant on the provenance of the .40S&W? This thread reminded me how humorous it is, and I'm feeling exceptionally lazy at the moment.

Ah yes, this part - the laugh I really needed today:

"The .40 is symbolic of the pussification of America. You see... in the past, someone at a firearms company took a look at a cartridge like the .38 S&W and said, "Hey... If we made this thing longer, we could get more powder into it and make it more powerful." Everybody within earshot said, "Let's do it!", and the .38 Special was born.

One night several decades later, Colonel D. B. Wesson and Phil Sharpe were sitting around on stools made from elephant legs, drinking straight whiskey and smoking Cuban cigars when the Col picked up a .38 Special and said, "Dude, we should make this thing longer, stuff it full of smokeless powder, and give it a cool name. It would kick ass!" to which Phil Sharpe replied, "You're a pussy if you don't", and Bingo! the .357 Magnum was born."

Awesome...

I picked up a storm lake conversion barrel and a few factory 9mm mags. Othe than the caliber differences it shoots great either way and it takes about 10 seconds to switch barrels. ( just remember to let it cool if you plan on shooting both in a single range sesion. :)

QUOTE=jefftk;1897812]Hmm I will have to look in to this. Has anyone here successfully tried this?

ETA: A quick search revealed this: http://www.storm-lake.com/products/barrel/builder/SW#top
a 9mm conversion barrel is $160. I saw some people on a different forum claiming that the .40 may not function reliably running 9mm because of different extractor and head spacing. Any truth to this?[/QUOTE]

as we all know it don't matter what caliber you use, as long as you can use the caliber for fast accurate hit placement, in a firefight your probably going to spray the hell out of your attacker, so whatever caliber you can shoot fast and accurate go for it. I personally love the 9mm , and with the 124 gr HST, it makes the difference of the 9 vs .40 difference less.

as we all know it don't matter what caliber you use, as long as you can use the caliber for fast accurate hit placement, in a firefight your probably going to spray the hell out of your attacker, so whatever caliber you can shoot fast and accurate go for it. I personally love the 9mm , and with the 124 gr HST, it makes the difference of the 9 vs .40 difference less.

I don't mean to pick on you QB, but I detest this type of statement in any caliber war thread:

"It doesn't matter what caliber you use, shot placement is the most important thing. A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45 blah, blah, blah"

Seriously? Um, duh. That whole part is understood and doesn't need to be stated. Really ever.

I have just grown to detest .40s because a few of them get mixed in with my .45 range brass (somehow) and pulling them out after they get stuck in the .45s is a bitch. (with the media wedged in it holding it in place) At least if they were 10mm it'd be like pulling gold nuggets out of the .45s instead of what is basically trash. [laugh]

-Mike

I prefer to carry a sack of angry kittens. They are sure to annoy the crap out of any would be attacker, leaving me a reasonable avenue of escape. Now, a two pound angry kitten vs. a four pound angry kitten.... That's the real question.

Last edited:
I've owned two 40 cals. M&P 40C and an USP 40 FS and I did not enjoy shooting them. But that is me. As of now, I have 9mm and 45s and both have been easier to control than any 40 I have shoot (my own or others).

I have just grown to detest .40s

As have I.
Sold all my .40's and replaced them with .45's

I only see a few good things for the .40 S&W.

Brass is plentifull. Mostly due to wide LE use.
A 2011 limited pistol for USPSA. Makes major & has decent capacity.
I also thought a 16", magazine fed carbine rifle would be cool with some 180 grainers.

I prefer to carry a sack of angry kittens. They are sure to annoy the crap out of any would be attacker, leaving me a reasonable avenue of escape. Now, a two pound angry kitten vs. a four pound angry kitten.... That's the real question.

Duh...everyone knows they way to go is to have two, two pound kittens in two sacks. It's like carrying an extra mag. [laugh]

Ah yes, this part - the laugh I really needed today:

"The .40 is symbolic of the pussification of America. You see... in the past, someone at a firearms company took a look at a cartridge like the .38 S&W and said, "Hey... If we made this thing longer, we could get more powder into it and make it more powerful." Everybody within earshot said, "Let's do it!", and the .38 Special was born.

One night several decades later, Colonel D. B. Wesson and Phil Sharpe were sitting around on stools made from elephant legs, drinking straight whiskey and smoking Cuban cigars when the Col picked up a .38 Special and said, "Dude, we should make this thing longer, stuff it full of smokeless powder, and give it a cool name. It would kick ass!" to which Phil Sharpe replied, "You're a pussy if you don't", and Bingo! the .357 Magnum was born."

Awesome...

Love the follow up...

The .40 was developed backwards.

Field agents loved the additional firepower, but some of the sissy office staff complained about the 10mm's recoil. One day, some pale doughy accountant picked up a 10mm and said, "If someone else would make this smaller and weaker, it wouldn't hurt my little hand as much when I shoot it." His transgender assistant said, "That a great idea! They could even make the guns smaller to fit in my evening bag", and the .40 was born.

Love the follow up...

The .40 was developed backwards.

Field agents loved the additional firepower, but some of the sissy office staff complained about the 10mm's recoil. One day, some pale doughy accountant picked up a 10mm and said, "If someone else would make this smaller and weaker, it wouldn't hurt my little hand as much when I shoot it." His transgender assistant said, "That a great idea! They could even make the guns smaller to fit in my evening bag", and the .40 was born.

Not to start a caliber war inside of another...but wasn't the M16/NATO 5.56 developed with this exact logic.

Year - Cartridge
1873 - 45-70
1906 - 30-06
WWII - .30 Carbine
1954 - 7.62x51 NATO
1963 - 5.56x45 NATO​

Over time we've traded down to a less powerful round in exchange for smaller, lighter, higher capacity, low recoil rifle. In short we started with buffalo hunting round and ended w/ the third most powerful .22 caliber woodchuck round. So why isn't the 5.56 NATO held with the same contempt as the .40?

Last edited:
Not to start a caliber war inside of another...but wasn't the M16/NATO 5.56 developed with this exact logic.

Year - Cartridge
1873 - 45-70
1906 - 30-06
WWII - .30 Carbine
1954 - 7.62x51 NATO
1963 - 5.56x45 NATO​

Over time we've traded down to a less powerful round in exchange for smaller, lighter, higher capacity, low recoil rifle. In short we started with buffalo hunting round and ended w/ the third most powerful .22 caliber woodchuck round. So why isn't the 5.56 NATO held with the same contempt as the .40?

A few points. WWII meant both .30 Carbine and 30-06 for Americans. In addition, WWII saw the development of the StG44 and it showed real advantages for full auto. Later we tried full auto battle rifles and realized they were pointless because they couldn't be controlled.

Also, at least to my knowledge, 5.56 NATO wasn't developed as a shorter, decreased power version of a larger round. It was developed with the goal of increased firepower.

Shortening a 10mm to create a .40SW doesn't give any advantage in terms of capacity, since capacity in a semi-auto pistol is largely determined but the diameter of the round. So, the only benefit, if you can call it that, of the .40 is controllability relative to 10mm.

PaulD:2124413 said:

Year - Cartridge
1873 - 45-70
1906 - 30-06
WWII - .30 Carbine
1954 - 7.62x51 NATO
1963 - 5.56x45 NATO​

A few points. WWII meant both .30 Carbine and 30-06 for Americans. In addition, WWII saw the development of the StG44 and it showed real advantages for full auto. Later we tried full auto battle rifles and realized they were pointless because they couldn't be controlled.

Also, at least to my knowledge, 5.56 NATO wasn't developed as a shorter, decreased power version of a larger round. It was developed with the goal of increased firepower.

Shortening a 10mm to create a .40SW doesn't give any advantage in terms of capacity, since capacity in a semi-auto pistol is largely determined but the diameter of the round. So, the only benefit, if you can call it that, of the .40 is controllability relative to 10mm.

^^^ this, but it's still a funny article...

Back
Top Bottom