• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.40 or 9mm

It's hard to hate something that hits that hard, but necked pistol cases blow on principle...

Doesn't do anything 9x23 won't, other than look like a .40 with Microcephaly.

There is nothing new about most cartridges, just repacking old idea with new names.

Last edited:
What principle? Reloading?

This thread is based more on a performance stand point. Take cost & availability etc. out of the equation.
Reloading is not an insubstantial factor with a caliber like that where ammo is hard to come by...

I don't know why you would take those things out of the equation ever, all ammo is a trade-off somewhere.

Reloading is not an insubstantial factor with a caliber like that where ammo is hard to come by...

I don't know why you would take those things out of the equation ever, all ammo is a trade-off somewhere.

Agree. Was just curios if any of your principles were based solely on design.

Same reasons I don't mess with it.

Can you use standard 9mm bullets for 357 Sig? I think the 9mm ogive is longer and most Sig bullets are kinda boxy (read: short and stout).

The bottleneck thing could be a PITA, I know it headspaces on the case mouth, but it's another thing you don't have to deal w/ on straight wall cartridges.

Last edited:
.357 Sig sucks because it's a shorter version of the 9x25 Dillon. [wink]

Can you use standard 9mm bullets for 357 Sig? I think the 9mm ogive is longer and most Sig bullets are kinda boxy (read: short and stout).

The bottleneck thing could be a PITA, I know it headspaces on the case mouth, but it's another thing you don't have to deal w/ on straight wall cartridges.

The problem is that it doesn't always headspace on the mouth. It depends on the gun:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/001.htm

The problem is that it doesn't always headspace on the mouth. It depends on the gun:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/001.htm

From article...
"The .357 SIG is a great cartridge. I think it just needs to be loaded like a small rifle cartridge, rather than a straight walled pistol cartridge"

If true, it could nearly double the amount of work involved to reload it. It would have to be great, even better than great to be worth it for me.

As an update. .40 has been fine so far

Enjoy the new gun.

Found these as well.

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Handgun_expanded_JHP.jpg

Last edited:
.357 Sig is cool but I refuse to buy one because reloading for it is a pain in the ass. The brass is almost as rare as 10mm Auto is, and like EC says, it's like reloading a rifle cartridge.

The bullet setback issues on carry ammo suck pretty badly, too. You might get a few rechamberings out of it before you have to put it in the "don't carry this" pile. I believe Terraformer tested a bunch of ammo types and the only one that didn't set back was Federal HST .357 Sig, and while I'm sure that's an awesome load, you have a better chance of winning the Powerball than finding a box of that stuff anywhere, at least not without some LE connections.

It's not that I go rechambering carry ammo constantly (my carry guns stay loaded often for months at a time) the problem is there are some situations which basically demand it, like safe storage in a vehicle in MA, or participating in "cold range" shooting matches/club events.

-Mike

.357 Sig is not really that hard to come by commercially (you can often find it at Wal Mart, even) it's just that you have to sell a Kidney or a Spleen to buy a few cases of it. [laugh]

-Mike

.357 Sig is cool but I refuse to buy one because reloading for it is a pain in the ass. The brass is almost as rare as 10mm Auto is, and like EC says, it's like reloading a rifle cartridge.

The bullet setback issues on carry ammo suck pretty badly, too.
This seems like it is nearly inevitable - straight walled cases can/do add a second crimp to stop this, but this case cannot. They can only crimp the hell out of it once and hope for the best.

I've never had trouble with that, nor has anyone else I know. It's about training yourself to not point the gun at a body part when performing an administrative unload, reload, etc. One common theme in nearly all NDs where someone gets injured is "When the person was manipulating the gun, it was pointed somewhere it wasn't supposed to be". I won't even do something like decock a Sig, or activate/deactivate a safety lever without the gun being pointed in a (generally) safe direction. The way I do such an unload/reload in a car, worst thing that could happen is I could put a nice hole in the floor
of the car. [laugh]

I try to avoid having to do it whenever possible, though, because it's just a pain in the ass, and I don't like the wear and tear it puts on carry ammo. Eventually even .45s and 9mms will set back, although it takes a hell of a lot longer for it to happen than it does in .40 and .357 Sig. If I was going to make a WAG it's because the former two cartridges have way better neck tension/bearing area between the bullet and the case. There is literally more of the case touching the bullet, which makes it less likely to move.

-Mike

Last edited:
I've never had trouble with that, nor has anyone else I know. It's about training yourself to not point the gun at a body part when performing an administrative unload, reload, etc. One common theme in nearly all NDs where someone gets injured is "When the person was manipulating the gun, it was pointed somewhere it wasn't supposed to be". I won't even do something like decock a Sig, or activate/deactivate a safety lever without the gun being pointed in a (generally) safe direction. The way I do such an unload/reload in a car, worst thing that could happen is I could put a nice hole in the floor
of the car. [laugh]

I try to avoid having to do it whenever possible, though, because it's just a pain in the ass, and I don't like the wear and tear it puts on carry ammo. Eventually even .45s and 9mms will set back, although it takes a hell of a lot longer for it to happen than it does in .40 and .357 Sig. If I was going to make a WAG it's because the former two cartridges have way better neck tension/bearing area between the bullet and the case. There is literally more of the case touching the bullet, which makes it less likely to move.

-Mike

All true. My point being that unnecessarily un-loading and reloading is a bad idea for multiple reasons.

From article...
"The .357 SIG is a great cartridge. I think it just needs to be loaded like a small rifle cartridge, rather than a straight walled pistol cartridge"

If true, it could nearly double the amount of work involved to reload it. It would have to be great, even better than great to be worth it for me.

It's not all that bad. Just set up the sizing die so that the shoulder is pushed back just enough for your chamber (and headspace on it rather than relying on the case mouth). You don't have to lube the cases, and they don't seem to stretch when you fire them.

You can prevent setback by using the Speer 125gr .355" bullets with the cannelure and roll crimping, and using a compressed charge of powder (like 800X).

.357 Sig is cool but I refuse to buy one because reloading for it is a pain in the ass. The brass is almost as rare as 10mm Auto is.

It's not all that bad. Just set up the sizing die so that the shoulder is pushed back just enough for your chamber (and headspace on it rather than relying on the case mouth). You don't have to lube the cases, and they don't seem to stretch when you fire them.

You can prevent setback by using the Speer 125gr .355" bullets with the cannelure and roll crimping, and using a compressed charge of powder (like 800X).

If they don't stretch, and you could get enough grip on the bullets to avoid setback...then forming .357 brass from .40 could be viable even though its ~0.2" short. That's one advantage to headspacing on the shoulder. I'm not sure how many firings you'd get on the brass.

If they don't stretch, and you could get enough grip on the bullets to avoid setback...then forming .357 brass from .40 could be viable even though its ~0.2" short. That's one advantage to headspacing on the shoulder. I'm not sure how many firings you'd get on the brass.

I think they're 0.020" short and I suppose you could, but you'd be shortening an already-short neck.

Back
Top Bottom