• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.40 Case failure

Hoping to find a fat girl to slurp my eel
Interesting case failure at the range today. Shooting my reloads in my G34 and G35 through the chronograph. 9mm was fine ,got 25 rounds through the .40 and after I pulled the trigger it didn't sound or feel right. I got splattered with powder and the mag blew out of the gun.

I stripped the gun looking to see what happened,wasnt a squib. I'd think it wasn't in battery fully but I case gauge every round I make. I'm very anal about checking powder level before I put the bullet in the case too. I've shot 5k of my current recipe without issue. I'm thinking the case had a minor crack which caused the blow out ? The gun had no damage, it did eject the brass. After looking it over real good it fired 50 more rounds without issue. I'm quite happy I don't have a blown up .40 cal glock !

IMG_20160530_183317.jpg
IMG_20160530_183238.jpg

happened to me with my m1 carbine. shot out the mag and the mag floor plate off. freaked me the f out when a bunch of 30 carbine rounds hit at and around my feet especially after the burst of powder around my face. glad you're ok that's the most important factor. could always get a new glock if you had to.

If the brass was previously shot out of a Glock .40 with the original barrel, what happened isn't terribly unusual.

If you plan to continue reloading Glock-fired .40 cases, you can expect this to keep happening.

If the brass was previously shot out of a Glock .40 with the original barrel, what happened isn't terribly unusual.

If you plan to continue reloading Glock-fired .40 cases, you can expect this to keep happening.

I have fired many thousands (40 or so) of 40 rounds loaded to a 165 PF using all sorts of range brass in my Glock without this problem. To make matters worse all of the ammo was loaded with lead bullets. Still no problems. I think the pistol fired out of battery, which is another issue.

I have fired many thousands (40 or so) of 40 rounds loaded to a 165 PF using all sorts of range brass in my Glock without this problem. To make matters worse all of the ammo was loaded with lead bullets. Still no problems. I think the pistol fired out of battery, which is another issue.

I don't doubt you have. I've also seen more than several .40 cal Glocks that did this exact thing with bulged/reloaded/bugled/reloaded/etc brass. It's possible that they could have fired out of battery too, but there is a pattern to this.

Wouldn't the constant bulging (from an unsupported chamber) then removing the bulge with a U-die, bulge buster die, FCD or whatever resizing die removes the bulge, weaken the brass in this area? I've only had a few .40's that I've found with the bulge (range pickups) that I usually just put in the scrap bucket.

I have fired many thousands (40 or so) of 40 rounds loaded to a 165 PF using all sorts of range brass in my Glock without this problem.

I'm loading to get just a bit above major PF. My 3 string average is 170PF . It is entirely possible this one piece may not have been completely in battery. When I make my rounds I stop every 200 to case gauge them individually because the bin is full. I grab a handful slide a round into the gauge then dump the round in a separate small plastic bin. Every once in a while a round will fall out of my hand into the bin without being case gauged. This could have been one. Usually I can keep my eyes on it if it falls in and check that one before I continue. I must have grabbed the wrong one from the bin, seems like it would be great odds to have that happen but that's usually my luck.

Back
Top Bottom