• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.40 caliber advise

Everyone hates the 96. Ive had no issues with mine
Did you carry it in the desert covered in 'moon dust'? It was the only thing I hated about being on an ATV, having to clean the gun and mags every day. The HnK USP I could go almost a week before the gun would start to fail. I shot a IDPA shoot after a day on the quads, told the story here before. The RO didn't want to let me shoot the gun was so dirty. Almost placed (overall I was like 5th (edit: actually more like top quarter) all classes) and no misfires.

Yeah, wonky but once you learn it, holy moly could you shoot fast.
I knew a detention deportation agent in ICE who was issued a USPc .40 LEM. We fired his side by side with my DA/SA USPc. Can’t say I was a big fan of the LEM trigger but I only put a few magazines through it.

In general, I wasn’t a fan of the USPc, but that is a rant for a different thread. I never have shot a full-size USP.

Last edited:
165s only, that's where its at

180s are terrible, rainbow trajectory bullets, unless you're running a can or something.

I hate 180s, basically .40 S&W 180 grain is the epitome of everything wrong with 40, lol. It's stunted pretty bad to avoid blowing up the gun. 155 and 165 make a lot more
sense in 40 if you have to run it.

Go for the cheapest ammo, rather than the weight. Cheap ammo is usually undercharged powder-wise and will have less recoil. You just bought a subcompact gun. Unless it's a CZ RAMI(which weighs a ton!), the recoil will be your biggest problem. 40 is not an easy cartridge to run in a tiny frame.

If he can't handle factory 165 carry ammo in an M&P compact? whatever? (which is going to be overweight for its class) he should just sell the gun, its pointless. Running shit-lump-blob 180s "so you can reduce the recoil" in a carry gun is absurd. Those things suck.

I knew a detention deportation agent in ICE who was issued a USPc .40 LEM. We fired his side by side with my DA/SA USPc. Can’t say I was a big fan of the LEM trigger but I only put a few magazines through it.

In general, I wasn’t a fan of the USPc, but that is a rant for a difference thread. I never have shot a full-size USP.

The LEM would suck a lot less if the reset wasnt so effing long. Bruce Gray's mods fix that but thats an expensive proposition to do to several guns.

Full size USP is a joy in 40, the gun was actually first built around the cartridge. One of the few production handguns where they actually built it for .40, aside from the P229.

165s only, that's where its at

180s are terrible, rainbow trajectory bullets, unless you're running a can or something.

I hate 180s, basically .40 S&W 180 grain is the epitome of everything wrong with 40, lol. It's stunted pretty bad to avoid blowing up the gun. 155 and 165 make a lot more
sense in 40 if you have to run it.

Lol. none of this is true

If he can't handle factory 165 carry ammo in an M&P compact? whatever? (which is going to be overweight for its class) he should just sell the gun, its pointless. Running shit-lump-blob 180s "so you can reduce the recoil" in a carry gun is absurd. Those things suck.
If I don't like the gun I can always probably triple my Money by listing it on NES saying it is a " Rare " and MAY have been used by Abraham Lincoln during the Battle of the Budge.

They are terrible for the most part. Firing them out of a 2011 in competition is a whole other ballgame. (esp with customized handloads)
40 S&W hand loads for Infinity/Stattaco/Clones are generally 1.18 to 1.20 in length (SAMMI max is 1.135) for optimal feeding. At this length, the rounds won't fit in many non-specialty fotays - for example, my Infinity fotay loads will not even fit down the mag of my Glock fotays.

This means that the round many (perhaps most) shoot out of there 2011oid guns is either an "out of spec fotay" or a "wildcat" cartridge, and should be judged separately from factory spec fotay.

In general, I wasn’t a fan of the USPc, but that is a rant for a different thread. I never have shot a full-size USP.
The deal with any pistol is learning the reset. I hated the G47 at first, then all of a sudden, I liked it. I liked it alut.

OGC.1e6d7617a16cd1910273b9e330b95bab

The .40 that I have is an all metal frame gun with a 3.6" barrel. It's comfortable with any of the commercial loads. Federal puts out a 155 gr JHP that has good specs and doesn't break the bank. If I'm just putting holes in paper, or shooting steel, I tend to load the cheapest 180 gr I can find.

The .40 that I have is an all metal frame gun with a 3.6" barrel. It's comfortable with any of the commercial loads. Federal puts out a 155 gr JHP that has good specs and doesn't break the bank. If I'm just putting holes in paper, or shooting steel, I tend to load the cheapest 180 gr I can find.
The problem with 155 or lighter is that it's rough on the frame/slide. I forget what we broke on both the 96 and the early HnK's. It seemed like the problem was mitigated with the 180s. Mostly the Bortacos were having the biggest issue, but they were 'special' and got lots of training time. I never broke a gun, but saw a dozen or so paperweights in my time. By the time I went to the academy we were switching to the G47.

Personally, I'd shoot 180s at paper, load 155ish for carry. The POA/POI difference at 'normal' ranges is minimal.

The problem with 155 or lighter is that it's rough on the frame/slide. I forget what we broke on both the 96 and the early HnK's. It seemed like the problem was mitigated with the 180s. Mostly the Bortacos were having the biggest issue, but they were 'special' and got lots of training time. I never broke a gun, but saw a dozen or so paperweights in my time. By the time I went to the academy we were switching to the G47.

Personally, I'd shoot 180s at paper, load 155ish for carry. The POA/POI difference at 'normal' ranges is minimal.
I think after i get used to the gun I would use Federal 155g Hydra-Shoks when I'm carrying. I use them in my .357 GP100 with a 6' barrel.

My g27 and g23 both preferred 165s. My full sized g22 and previously owned/ sold p226 and usp40 all liked 180s

My g27 and g23 both preferred 165s. My full sized g22 and previously owned/ sold p226 and usp40 all liked 180s
Ah, someone else who owns that pair - though I only got partial credit since a friend sold me bis G27 for $80.

I have zero experience with .40, but how are you planning to use your new purchase? Assuming the gun likes both, for home defense, I'd probably go with a subsonic 180gr round for the lower noise and less felt recoil. But for a carry weapon, I'd be more likely to choose 165gr, since that's what I see police around here practicing with.

I do try to use the same grain weight for both my FMJ range ammo and JHP self-defense ammo, but I may have fallen victim to Fudd logic there.

I've put plenty of factory 40 165 and 180 thru normal guns...bullet weight made no difference.

I believe you... but ive seen otherwise at least in my observation.

I've had cases with 180s where at 50yds you literally had to use a holdover to hit a 6-8" gong. 165s alwsys hut almost straight on. Either all the 180 loads I used were bad or maybe it's because the bullet was going in a f****** rainbow. 🤣 I usually had to hold the front sight above the gong in order to get a reliable hit. Maybe I didn't try this test enough times with a bunch of different handguns but it wasn't enough for me to bother testing more. I just stopped buying or even loading 180 because I didn't see the point of basically paying the same amount of money for something that was more neutered. Not to mention there was a much better selection of carry loads in 165 at the time as well.

Imo 180 in a carry 40 defeats the point of the whole thing. Its a neutering on top of a neutering.

Back
Top Bottom