• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.40 caliber advise

I do try to use the same grain weight for both my FMJ range ammo and JHP self-defense ammo, but I may have fallen victim to Fudd logic there.
Not fuddish, often the recoil impulse is much different from one another at A lot of 180s are anemic, too. It's not like hot 115 vs hot 124 on 9mm where the difference isn't quite as stark.

165s only, that's where its at

180s are terrible, rainbow trajectory bullets, unless you're running a can or something.

I hate 180s, basically .40 S&W 180 grain is the epitome of everything wrong with 40, lol. It's stunted pretty bad to avoid blowing up the gun. 155 and 165 make a lot more
sense in 40 if you have to run it.

I agree shooting 165's is a good choice for a 3.1"

I was high bidder on a S & W M&P.40 with a 3.1 barrel on gunbroker for short money. I need advise on what bullet choice I should use, I have found from 120 G, 155g, 165g and 180g online. What do any of you guys use and like ? Also if this turns out like I hope, what holsters due you like for CC ? This is not my first handgun, I own a .22/.22 mag, .25 pocket auto, .380/Browning 9mm long, .45 cal and 38/357 mag. Flame away if you want but Broc should know I also own a 6.5 but it is a 6.5X55 Swedish !
Hello my name is john and I carry 4GHAY
I have a 4013 double stack
180 gn JHP - came with the pistol
Super tuck holster to replace the duty holster.
Carry it more than anything else I own

I believe you... but ive seen otherwise at least in my observation.

I've had cases with 180s where at 50yds you literally had to use a holdover to hit a 6-8" gong. 165s alwsys hut almost straight on. Either all the 180 loads I used were bad or maybe it's because the bullet was going in a f****** rainbow. 🤣 I usually had to hold the front sight above the gong in order to get a reliable hit. Maybe I didn't try this test enough times with a bunch of different handguns but it wasn't enough for me to bother testing more. I just stopped buying or even loading 180 because I didn't see the point of basically paying the same amount of money for something that was more neutered. Not to mention there was a much better selection of carry loads in 165 at the time as well.

Imo 180 in a carry 40 defeats the point of the whole thing. Its a neutering on top of a neutering.
I cant argue the balistics.
I have a good amount of 180 gn 40 that came with the pistol, so much so that 40 is the only thing I dont reload.
I have only shot the 25 yd service pistol target iirc a 5.5” aiming black
My sights are not adjustable and I had to hold a little low on the bull ( a line of white) to get near the x

pay no attention to the naysayers, apander. You now own one of the most reliable, moderately priced firearms on the market chambered in THE caliber. It's easy to work on, the parts are plentiful and cheap. Put an Apex forward set sear trigger kit in it and fall in love.

I would get a box of each weight and see what works best for you. Merely brandishing a .40 is usually enough to get cretins to retreat, but if you are forced to pull the trigger, I'm sure that .40 in any weight will not only break them physically, but extinguish their very soul.

When the europhiles with their impotent metric rounds and the dinosaurs with their jam prone boat anchors realize the folly of their firearms, you will be getting many a pm for advice on .40 and specifically the M&P.

Happy shooting. Enjoy your new firearm.

I was high bidder on a S & W M&P.40 with a 3.1 barrel on gunbroker for short money. I need advise on what bullet choice I should use, I have found from 120 G, 155g, 165g and 180g online. What do any of you guys use and like ? Also if this turns out like I hope, what holsters due you like for CC ? This is not my first handgun, I own a .22/.22 mag, .25 pocket auto, .380/Browning 9mm long, .45 cal and 38/357 mag. Flame away if you want but Broc should know I also own a 6.5 but it is a 6.5X55 Swedish !
Jesus Christ! Heavier bullets go slower. Lighter ones go faster. Flat ones stop quicker. Pointy ones penetrate more which hardos hate. Buy cheap ammo for practice and go from there.

What could possibly be the difference from 155 to 165?!?
Weight isn't everything, it could be the bullet's shape and dimensions that can be the difference between an accurate grouping or a shotgun pattern.

There is a tremendous potential for tolerance stacking with firearms, thus small changes can have big differences, even for pistols.

.40 is awesome !! Most talked about caliber in nes. If .40 didn’t bulge my brass I would defend it more often. Youknowhatimean skip

Back
Top Bottom