• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.40 caliber advise

apander

NES Member
I was high bidder on a S & W M&P.40 with a 3.1 barrel on gunbroker for short money. I need advise on what bullet choice I should use, I have found from 120 G, 155g, 165g and 180g online. What do any of you guys use and like ? Also if this turns out like I hope, what holsters due you like for CC ? This is not my first handgun, I own a .22/.22 mag, .25 pocket auto, .380/Browning 9mm long, .45 cal and 38/357 mag. Flame away if you want but Broc should know I also own a 6.5 but it is a 6.5X55 Swedish !

Last edited:
I use 180 grain exclusively however this is for a 2011 6" competition gun so quite a different platform.
You'll probably want to try some various 155 & 165 grain since this sounds like a personal protection gun.

BTW .380 is 9mm Kurtz (or short) not long.

Good luck and congratulations on the purchase.

I was low bidder on a S & W M&P.40 with a 3.1 barrel on gunbroker for short money.
Go for the cheapest ammo, rather than the weight. Cheap ammo is usually undercharged powder-wise and will have less recoil. You just bought a subcompact gun. Unless it's a CZ RAMI(which weighs a ton!), the recoil will be your biggest problem. 40 is not an easy cartridge to run in a tiny frame.

I use 180 grain exclusively however this is for a 2011 6" competition gun so quite a different platform.
You'll probably want to try some various 155 & 165 grain since this sounds like a personal protection gun.

BTW .380 is 9mm Kurtz (or short) not long.

Good luck and congratulations on the purchase.
Thanks for the response but the .380/Browning 9mm Long is a 1907 FN model in Browning 9mm Long built for the Swedish Army. When it was imported to the US in the 1950's it was converted to fire .380 with the original barrel sleeved to take that round. I also have an original barrel so can fire both rounds, the trouble is I have Swedish surplus ammo from 1942 that only goes boom 1 out of three rounds.

I was low bidder on a S & W M&P.40 with a 3.1 barrel on gunbroker for short money. I need advise on what bullet choice I should use, I have found from 120 G, 155g, 165g and 180g online. What do any of you guys use and like ? Also if this turns out like I hope, what holsters due you like for CC ? This is not my first handgun, I own a .22/.22 mag, .25 pocket auto, .380/Browning 9mm long, .45 cal and 38/357 mag. Flame away if you want but Broc should know I also own a 6.5 but it is a 6.5X55 Swedish !
180 will be much easier to shoot and less abrasive to the pistol.

My source:
Research done by the Border Patrol and thus the transition from 135 to 155 to eventually 180. Qual scores went up each time and broken pistols reduced each time.
180 hits plenty hard for 2 legged vermin.

I was low bidder on a S & W M&P.40 with a 3.1 barrel on gunbroker for short money. I need advise on what bullet choice I should use, I have found from 120 G, 155g, 165g and 180g online. What do any of you guys use and like ? Also if this turns out like I hope, what holsters due you like for CC ? This is not my first handgun, I own a .22/.22 mag, .25 pocket auto, .380/Browning 9mm long, .45 cal and 38/357 mag. Flame away if you want but Broc should know I also own a 6.5 but it is a 6.5X55 Swedish !
I've never won anything being the low bidder

With a 3.1' barrel I don't think I could hit the neighbor 4 houses down if I tried.
Oh wait, I forgot to be snarky:

You won't kill the neighbor 4 houses down with 180 like you would with a 9mm.

:D Let me repost that for you. Hitting the neighbor would by definition be a miss of the target in YOUR house. Unhappy little accident.
4e94zpvspvg51.jpg

180 will be much easier to shoot and less abrasive to the pistol.

My source:
Research done by the Border Patrol and thus the transition from 135 to 155 to eventually 180. Qual scores went up each time and broken pistols reduced each time.
180 hits plenty hard for 2 legged vermin.
Beretta 96?

Back
Top Bottom