• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

40 cal vs 9mm; why the hostility

Geez, do some homework before you post. The Smith, 5", TR8 holds 8 rounds and weighs 34.7 oz.. The 6" smith, 7 shot, 686, .357 weighs 44.02 oz.. The Ruger 4.2", 7 shot, .357, GP100 weighs 40 oz. The smith, 327 R8, holds more ammo and is significantly lighter than both the Smith,686 and the Ruger, GP100.
The R8 in .44 or .45 Colt would be a better choice and would hold 7 rounds. I know the R8 weighs less, but it does it with a Scandium frame and that means it costs a lot. $1000 for a revolver that holds 8 rds vs a $500 semi auto that holds 20 rds... yeah, great trade off, really worth it.

Does the military still use FMJ as the round carried in theater? If so the FMJ 9 vs FMJ 45 debate is of little relevance to the civilian world except maybe in NJ if you have a hen's tooth.

The R8 in .44 or .45 Colt would be a better choice and would hold 7 rounds. I know the R8 weighs less, but it does it with a Scandium frame and that means it costs a lot. $1000 for a revolver that holds 8 rds vs a $500 semi auto that holds 20 rds... yeah, great trade off, really worth it.

You know darn well that we're talking revolvers at this point, rather than revolvers verses semi autos. I already have a Smith , 44 magnum and a Smith .45 long colt and have had them for years before getting the R8. Not only is the R8 a 8 shot, .357 but it's also a performance center gun. As I'm sure you knew before your latest post above, it's a performance center gun, so of course it costs more than your assembly line smith costs. Are saying now that the performance center revolvers make no sense. You've never spent any real time with a R8 have you? Your 7 or 8 round smith, 44 and 45 colt comment is ridiculas, since Smith makes neither. Honestly, you're sounding like a guy who is down on the R8, simply because you don't have a quality, Smith, Performance Center revolver. So that makes it dumb. Great thought process.

Last edited:
11201648_986459561365466_727268772_n.jpg

You know darn well that we're talking revolvers at this point, rather than revolvers verses semi autos. I already have a Smith , 44 magnum and a Smith .45 long colt and have them for years before getting the R8. Not only is the R8 a 8 shot, .357 but it's also a performance center gun. As I'm sure you knew before your latest post above, it's a performance center gun, so of course it costs more than your assembly smith cost. Are saying now that the performance center revolvers make no sense. You've never spent any real time with a R8 have you? Your 7 or 8 round smith, 44 and 45 colt comment is ridiculas, since Smith makes neither. Honestly, you're sounding like a guy who is down on the R8, simply because you don't have a quality, Smith, Performance Center revolver. So that makes it dumb. Great thought process.
Everything is relative, but yeah, we're talking revolvers now.

PC doesn't mean much to me, nor does Ruger's "Match Champion" stuff; I don't think modern made revolvers (other than Magnum Research) are worth spending $1000 on, especially when it's an 8 shot .357 built on a .44 size frame.

If given the choice of a S&W PC or Ruger MC revolver, I'd rather take the money and spend it on an M&P AR10, a CZ bolt action, or the BFR.

Everything is relative, but yeah, we're talking revolvers now.

PC doesn't mean much to me, nor does Ruger's "Match Champion" stuff; I don't think modern made revolvers (other than Magnum Research) are worth spending $1000 on, especially when it's an 8 shot .357 built on a .44 size frame.

If given the choice of a S&W PC or Ruger MC revolver, I'd rather take the money and spend it on an M&P AR10, a CZ bolt action, or the BFR.

Again, not apples to apples. If you bother to look at the list of things that the Performance Center does to the R8, then price these things at your gunsmith, the PC is a better deal by far. It's like anything else. You get what you pay for.

SR40 is one of the softest shooting .40s out there. With Galloway Precision springs it's even softer.

SR40 is one of the softest shooting .40s out there. With Galloway Precision springs it's even softer.

Yeah, because the gigantic slide on it weighs like 900 pounds. I would hope it would be a soft shooter. [laugh]

-Mike

Oh I'm not so sure about that. My 2", Ruger, Alaskan, .454 is no slouch. Anything bigger than that, doesn't make much sense around here.

The problem with the Alaskan is its f***ing brutal. [laugh] A 4" 500 with most (not talking about some of EC's hot stuff) loads is a soft shooter compared to that thing. Friend of mine bought one, I fired a cylinder of 45LC out of it and then a cylinder of 454... I was "done" after that.

Although it still wasn't anywhere near as bad as like one of those 12 oz airlight j-frames with full house 357 magnum that breaks apart after about 100 rounds that smith makes... [laugh] 340PD? forget the number. That f***ing thing is obnoxious. [laugh]

-Mike

The problem with the Alaskan is its f***ing brutal. [laugh] A 4" 500 with most (not talking about some of EC's hot stuff) loads is a soft shooter compared to that thing. Friend of mine bought one, I fired a cylinder of 45LC out of it and then a cylinder of 454... I was "done" after that.

Although it still wasn't anywhere near as bad as like one of those 12 oz airlight j-frames with full house 357 magnum that breaks apart after about 100 rounds that smith makes... [laugh] 340PD? forget the number. That f***ing thing is obnoxious. [laugh]

-Mike

I'm sure you're right. .357 is fine out of my 649 body guard and the 3", 60-16.

-Mike
The S&W 500 is a much heavier gun that's also ported and that makes a huge difference compared to the .454 Alaskan.

The muzzle flash from that will burn the forest down, just in case you miss the bear.

Although a completely different type of gun, I would put 7” AR-15 pistols in that category. I would rather take a box of fireworks to the range, light them in my hand and chuck them at targets. These type of guns are for sh*ts and giggles.

State Highway Patrols have been sticking with .40 S&W, .357 sig, and .45 ACP because of penetration issues. But remember they are dealing with situations on highways involving cars all the time, pretty much the same environments with limited variables. That's different than the average person or police officer with greater environmental variety in their daily routine.
MSP using these 45's today Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 3.15.19 PM.png

I've read that todays technology allows the 9mm to perform like a .45. If this is true, why can't that same technology be used to increase the performance of the .40 and .45? I could get a Glock model 20 and have both power and high capacity but the model 20 is a bit thick to conceal well.
Winter/fall owb it’s not that bad with the right coat

Don't get me started on .50 caliber handguns. No practical use for them in the Western Hemisphere.
Except perhaps for getting the largest caliber possible when qualifying for you RI permit renewal. I cannot carry a fifty in that state.

Back
Top Bottom