$40 and a note

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Article

A U.S. soldier deployed in Afghanistan was thrilled to the point of tears by $40 and a note of support for his girlfriend back home, he told ABCNews.com in a phone call from Afghanistan today. Army Spc. Albert DeSimone said what overwhelmed him was knowing that a stranger was "there for her" while he was war.

DeSimone's girlfriend Samantha Ford was leaving a Dunkin' Donuts Sunday in Arlington, Mass., when she saw a white envelope tucked under the windshield wiper on her car. She has a bumper sticker that reads, "1/2 of my heart is in Afghanistan." Written on the outside of the envelope was a note that read, "I noticed the sticker on the back of your car. Take your hero out to dinner when he comes home. Thank you both for serving. Him deployed and you for waiting." It was signed, "United States Veteran, God Bless." There were two $20 bills inside the envelope.

74426_10151550894401350_1385041245_n.jpg

Saw the story in the news the other day. There aren't enough of those who care left in today's society.

That guy needs some + rep points...

[rolleyes]. Yeah, um rep points!

this is why I hate Massachusetts and can't wait until I leave. I hate the fake-ness of all the phony Americans up there.

So someone does an actual deed and all you can think of is rep points. [laugh].

The best is when I travel out of New England and folks anonymously pay for 15 soldiers lunch. No attention whore fake New England "thanks for serving" or rep points.

this is why I hate Massachusetts and can't wait until I leave. I hate the fake-ness of all the phony Americans up there.

The best is when I travel out of New England and folks anonymously pay for 15 soldiers lunch. No attention whore fake New England "thanks for serving" or rep points.

Oh, don't be such a stick in the mud[wink]. You know that's just the board's way off saying they approve.

This happened in Arlington. That's in New England.

Way to douche up the joint, douche!

This ranks as one of the all time stupidest posts on NES. Coming from one of the NES good guys too. I hate to bust your bubble but except in isolated pockets of Amerika, support for the troops is more feel good lip service than anything else. Ever live in a GI town like Killeen or Fayetteville (probably not if you never wore a uniform) Oh, they like GIs well enough, they see them as walking dollar signs. As long as their little Muffy and Buffy don't have to fight in our foreign military adventures the Amerikan people just love the troops and they can keep going to the mall just like the last Idiot in Chief told them to do after 9/11.

You want to support the troops Obi, then go enlist if you haven't already served. That's supporting the troops.

Last edited:

-1 for an idiotic post. There are shitheads all over this country but then again there are patriotic Americans as well. Give credit where credit is due. That was no "fake-ness" pal.

You want to support the troops Obi, then go enlist if you haven't already served. That's supporting the troops.

[laugh] how can i enlist if I'm already in?

17 years total, 16 active.. senior NCO.

lolololol

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

lolololol

Thanks for your service, but really, if you're going to complain about MA, just leave. I grow tired of hearing people whine about how awful this state is; nobody's forcing you to stay. At a certain point, you're choosing to be here.

Please pay attention to what we're trying to tell you: no amount of blathering about how unpatriotic Ma**h***s are is going to change the fact the the OP happened in MA. I'm sure it's happened here before and will happen here again, no matter what your opinion is.

lolololol

At this point I'm supposed to say something like thank you for your service. Personally I don't think your post, now that I know your background reflects well on the NCO Corps. I guess you think you are entitled and everybody should buy you free beers at the VFW Hall or something.

Please leave Mass and go somewhere where you will be appreciated and can feel entitled (like a cop or something). For the record I spent a total of 9 of 20.5 years of active duty here in Mass and never had any problems. Got a free lunch in Newton once (yes Newton) and rode the subways and buses for free when I showed my military ID, free admission to the MFA and the John Hancock Obsevatory and this was back in the Cold War.

You are a sterling example for our younger troops: remember to always try to get a free lunch from these civilians because we are the entitled protectors. I'm sure once you retire you will have a great career with DHS.

lolololol

Looking for another vacation? [wink] Don't be an a**h***.

And thanks for sharing this story, wish there were more people that still have respect in their blood.

At this point I'm supposed to say something like thank you for your service. Personally I don't think your post, now that I know your background reflects well on the NCO Corps. I guess you think you are entitled and everybody should buy you free beers at the VFW Hall or something.

Please leave Mass and go somewhere where you will be appreciated and can feel entitled (like a cop or something). For the record I spent a total of 9 of 20.5 years of active duty here in Mass and never had any problems. Got a free lunch in Newton once (yes Newton) and rode the subways and buses for free when I showed my military ID, free admission to the MFA and the John Hancock Obsevatory and this was back in the Cold War.

You are a sterling example for our younger troops: remember to always try to get a free lunch from these civilians because we are the entitled protectors. I'm sure once you retire you will have a great career with DHS.

well I'm glad the Internet on my own my time is NOT a bullet for my NCOER. this is on my own time, and I'm not using my position or uniform to represent the .gov. You know all that happy-HOOAH command policies. [wink].

anywho, cool story bro.

As to OP and anyone I offended, my bad.... It's the Internet. [laugh].

The girl took the initiative to go out and start a group to support others in the same boat - pretty awesome. So like many good deeds this one anonymous act spawned others.

So now I'm trying to think of what I can do to keep it going.

Back
Top Bottom