4" 357

Ya, I love the look of the 19s. Python aside, I think its the best looking 357 ever made and they seem to be reliable.

Problem is they are going for the same price as a new 586 and supposedly aren't the best with a steady diet of 357. Plus, I would imagine parts are impossible to find if you ever need to replace something.

No, I think most all of the parts are available. Personally, I would take my used 19 over any new 586 or 686. It balances better, and the 586/686 has a new and screwed yoke retention screw that has resulted in cylinders coming off for multiple IDPA competitors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smith can repair most problems, but does not have replacement frames available for older K frames. At least that is what we were told back when they were doing tours and we had several NES group tours.

No, I think most all of the parts are available. Personally, I would take my used 19 over any new 586 or 686. It balances better, and the 586/686 has a new and screwed yoke retention screw that has resulted in cylinders coming off for multiple IDPA competitors.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (3rd Edition) the 64-1 was a special production run of 750 for the OK HP. That was later put into regular production as the Model 65. Similarly, there was a run of Model 10-6 in .357 for the NYSP in 1972. In 1974 it was introduced as the Model 13.

Last I knew the S&W Model 64 was only made in 38 Special. Especially if it is a 64-1

Here is another vote for the GP100. I have one and the "built like a tank" description is very apt. As far as the cost, check out Gallery of Guns as you get can get one there for well under $600.

I have the GP100 3" which is the gun that I gave my father. I own the 686+ and the 586 - which are my favorites.

Hard to go wrong with one of the Original 586's or 686's. That said, if I had to pick just one revolver, the 686+ would be an excellent choice.

Chris
Beautiful, what type of stocks are in the photo? I put pachmyer diamond pro grips on my 357's, helps dampen recoil substantially.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Beautiful, what type of stocks are in the photo? I put pachmyer diamond pro grips on my 357's, helps dampen recoil substantially.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

The top two are VZ G10 grips (Black Cherry and Predator Green). Bottom is a set of Ahrends in Maple.

Chris

+1

Does it have to be 4"? If not the 3" versions of the GP100s are wonderfully entertaining with hotter rounds. I had the stainless with ramp rear sights and I now have a Talo in matte black, both were/are great shooters.

I have a 3" Talo 686+ and a 4" GP100.
I put a spring kit in the GP100, shoot it fairly regularly in IDPA/USPSA.
The Smith is nice and I like it, the Ruger is a tank, an easy DIY trigger job.
I keep the 686+ in the safe, shoot the Ruger regularly.

I have the new model (post-2014) 66-8, and love it.

It's 4.25" if that matters.

I'm in Grafton if you wanna shoot it before making a decision.

Attachments

• model66.jpg
    model66.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
3" gp 100

attachment.php

Attachments

• GP100-2.jpg
    GP100-2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 123
I'm not a revolver kinda guy, But when this one came up for sale I couldn't pass it up for some reason. Was owned by someone I knew and I had previously actually shot it. The price was right , even though I was looking for a .45, I came home with a .357 wheel gun that day. Never looked back. Colt Lawman Mark III.IMG_20170220_161902_840.jpg

Last edited:
I very much enjoy my Ruger Match Champion with a Wilson spring kit installed.

Attachments

• 20160403_151749.jpg
    20160403_151749.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 50
This is a great trail gun that is light in a potent caliber: 4.20" Ruger SP101

5771.jpg

My GP100 with Wolf Springs ($10) is a tank. A friend of mine has the 627 and it is also a fantastic revolver. I would go with what your budget allows and whichever feels better in your hand as you cannot make a wrong decision here.

Back
Top Bottom