• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

4" 357

Decided my safe is in need of a 4" 357 magnum. I have an LCR, a SW Mod 60 pro 3", and a 5.5" Redhawk in 44 magnum , so a 4" 357 is the missing link. Considering a GP100, a 686, or a SW combat magnum 66. They all seem to range from $650 to $750. It will mostly be for range fun, but also eventually a hiking gun (OC) and a home defense gun. What do you think?

I was eying the 686 but ended up with a 627 pro. Like you I felt my collection was needing a 4" .357. The price was not much more. I really liked the lines and was sold on the 8rd cylinder.

Just recently saw a nice 4" S&W .357 in the classifieds for $700. Looked to be in excellent shape. Some day I too would love to have one! Ever since I got a 617, I have been itching for another revolver

Decided my safe is in need of a 4" 357 magnum. I have an LCR, a SW Mod 60 pro 3", and a 5.5" Redhawk in 44 magnum , so a 4" 357 is the missing link. Considering a GP100, a 686, or a SW combat magnum 66. They all seem to range from $650 to $750. It will mostly be for range fun, but also eventually a hiking gun (OC) and a home defense gun. What do you think?

The GP100 and 686 can take a steady diet of 357. The 66 is a K frame so with a steady diet of 357, it will show premature wear.

I have the GP100 Match Champion, and love it. It was great out of the box, but a set of Wolff springs made it simply amazing.

The GP100 and 686 can take a steady diet of 357. The 66 is a K frame so with a steady diet of 357, it will show premature wear.

Generally I favor Rugers over Smiths for .357 mag. They're cheaper and sturdier. If money is an object, a used SP101 does a good job.

The Blackhawk/Vaquero family is fun too, and they'd fill the SA niche as well as the .357 niche.

That was true of the earlier 66s, but apparently is no longer true of the re-engineered current model 66. That said, I mostly shoot .38 Spcl anyways.

Personally, I prefer the 66. I like the balance of the gun and a good gunsmith can get you an excellent, light DA trigger b

I vote GP100. Or get a Dan Wesson 15 or 715 and you can get interchangeable barrels ranging from 2.5" to 15"[wink]

That was true of the earlier 66s, but apparently is no longer true of the re-engineered current model 66. That said, I mostly shoot .38 Spcl anyways.

Personally, I prefer the 66. I like the balance of the gun and a good gunsmith can get you an excellent, light DA trigger b

I think the main issue was the small forcing cones the 357 K frames had, Smith must have beefed up the cone and improved metallurgy.

Last edited:
My first issued duty gun was a S&W Model 19, and I was absolutely surgical with it whether DA or SA. I would give a testicle to have it back.
Or trade a lovely BHP if anyones interested lol.
It was a hand me down from a retiree, and it shaved lead, but it was awesome.

As I recall, the problem was mostly with Model 19s and only with 125gr loads. There were issues with flame burning the top strap above the cylinder-barrel gap. I don't recall stainless guns having that problem.

I have a Model 13 3" barrel that is a pleasure to shoot .38 Spcl through. I don't plan to shoot .357 through it.

As to the OP's question, if he likes adjustable sights, the Model 66 is a great gun. I had one back over 30 years ago and wish I hadn't had to sell it. If he wants fixed sights, the Model 65 is a good choice.

The 686 might be the winner. I saw the one in the classifieds and it looks really nice. Not sure I value the no-lock ones more than a new one though.

just sorted all my brass sitting around the basement. So many nicely filled quart zip locks. Also, anyone know of a place that doesn't charge a fortune for an incoming transfer?

If in the end, you're going to be using it for trail hiking, I'd go with the short barreled model 66. It's lighter to carry than a 686. I don't give mine a steady diet of .357 ammo, but for the trail, .357 of course.

Last edited:
I bought a GP100 on a whim (leaning over the counter at FS waiting for Jeff to bring out a rifle) and absolutely love it. 6" stainless, Lady Radtekk liked it so much we got another. Then she decided she wanted a snubbie so she bought one (yeah, GP100) at shawsheen when we "stopped by" one day. And I got a 7 1/2 Redhawk in 44mag for a wedding present. Guess that all makes me a Ruger revolver fanboi...

Anyway, many votes for Ruger, and if you want to try any of them you're welcome to, my pleasure :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Anybody have a 586? Seems like its basically a blued 686. Still, the blue finish looks really dull from pics I've seen online which is kind of a bummer.

Wish they still made nicer polished blue revolvers instead of all this matte or dull crap.

Anybody have a 586? Seems like its basically a blued 686. Still, the blue finish looks really dull from pics I've seen online which is kind of a bummer.

Wish they still made nicer polished blue revolvers instead of all this matte or dull crap.

If you want a blue S&W, find a used Model 19. Mine was rather rough, but Greg Derr did a nice trigger job on it, he fixed the pitting and had it reblued. It looks fabulous.

I love my 64-1. I usually load .38s for it with an occasional cylinder of .357. 4", fixed sights, pinned + recessed FTW! Seriously though, I'd go Ruger or earlier Smith 686/586 only because, aesthetically, I hate the S&W locks. Though the 3" Talo 686+ guns that I've been seeing on GB are tempting.

-Sean

It is .38 only - UNLESS it's one of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol special runs Smith made in the early '70s, I believe they were a kind of prototype run for the model 65. Mine is in fact a stainless model 64 chambered for .357. IIRC, Smith made around 700 of these guns. "64-1" right on the crane housing. I can post some pics later if you like.

-Sean

Last edited:
For what it's worth, when I asked a couple of gunsmiths which piece they see more often for repair, they said the 686. Recommended getting a 4" GP100, "it's a tank" was the quote. Both pieces are pretty nice.

Maybe it'll actually be a gp100 with a wolf spring kit. Woupd go well with the red hawk and i could beat the crap out of it. Looks like MFS will do a transfer for a reasonable rate too.

Most guys don't shoot a lot of magnums in their 357s, it loud and lots of recoil plus muzzle blast in a heavy load. If you just want a magnum then a 4 inch k frame is a light gun to carry that you won't shoot much. If you intend to shoot a lot of 357 then the L frame or N frame will handle a steady diet. They are heavier but you need that extra steel so it will last under heavy loads.

Myself I like the N frame in a model 28.

Hard to go wrong with one of the Original 586's or 686's. That said, if I had to pick just one revolver, the 686+ would be an excellent choice.

Chris

For what it's worth, when I asked a couple of gunsmiths which piece they see more often for repair, they said the 686. Recommended getting a 4" GP100, "it's a tank" was the quote. Both pieces are pretty nice.

Did they give a reason? I'm wondering if it's a design issue or simply because there are more 686s out there.

If you want a blue S&W, find a used Model 19. Mine was rather rough, but Greg Derr did a nice trigger job on it, he fixed the pitting and had it reblued. It looks fabulous.

Ya, I love the look of the 19s. Python aside, I think its the best looking 357 ever made and they seem to be reliable.

Problem is they are going for the same price as a new 586 and supposedly aren't the best with a steady diet of 357. Plus, I would imagine parts are impossible to find if you ever need to replace something.

Back
Top Bottom