• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3rd Annual John Kelly Practical Shooting Match - SUN 7/29/12 @ Harvard SC

I did. In retrospect it was a bad choice of words given this is a thread about a memorial match. I do apologize to family and friends of John Kelly if it was taken any other way than I will finally try sport shooting.

I was more making a joke about a running trend of the younins "YOLO"ing while doing stupid things.

Any idea what the "Modified PPC" course of fire will be? What kind of targets?

I believe they are standard PPC targets:
B-27_Family.gif

If I recall correctly from last year, there were three strings of fire at different distances. The first two were 12 rounds in 20 seconds. I believe the last string was 6 rounds. I think the distances were 25 yards and in.

It isn't a big deal.

I believe they are standard PPC targets:
B-27_Family.gif

If I recall correctly from last year, there were three strings of fire at different distances. The first two were 12 rounds in 20 seconds. I believe the last string was 6 rounds. I think the distances were 25 yards and in.

It isn't a big deal.

Please tell me there will be NO retention shooting in this stage this year... ughh only points I dropped were at 3 yards from retention!!! LOL

Please tell me there will be NO retention shooting in this stage this year... ughh only points I dropped were at 3 yards from retention!!! LOL

I can guarantee that there is no retention shooting on the PPC stage -- it isn't part of PPC as far as I'm aware.

As for the IDPA stage, I've got no idea. Ask Michael J. or Gene G.

Doh!

I'll talk to Joe and see what he is planning. Perhaps I can convince him to do a regular one-handed stage instead of retention.

Any idea what the "Modified PPC" course of fire will be? What kind of targets?

We will be using reduced B-27 targets, which are the same as depicted above but just a little smaller so that all the scoring rings will fit when stapled over a standard IDPA or USPSA cardboard target. This will not be exactly like one of the numerous options for PPC stages because we are limiting round count and we want to avoid having to use barricades or mobility challenged positions such as kneeling...

Shooting from retention was included last year and will most likely make an appearance this year (so Lugnut can get more practice from the 3 yard line).

Basically, expect a common shooting line (about 10 shooters on line shooting at the same time) firing a designated number of shots from various distances. All shooting will be standing, there may be some strong hand, weak hand, retention shooting up close... The idea is to give civilians a little bit of an idea of what police qualification courses are like.

There will be a par time for each position, which means you will have a given amount of time to fire the designated shots. Some folks shoot too fast, so they get all the rounds off but their points in the scoring rings are not so great. Others treat almost like bullseye shooting, they get good high scoring hits but they run out of time and don't get all their rounds off. The trick to par time shooting is to take advantage of the time allocated and make the best shots you can with the time given.

There will probably be a total of 25-30 rounds on this stage and the stage will go quick. The fund-raising Texas Star shotgun stage is right next door so with the extra time left over by shooting this stage on a common firing line, shooters will have time to play on the Texas Star or go grab some lunch.

What is "shooting from retention" ?

Here is a short YouTube video explaining the concept: http://youtu.be/nqQAgtNMwDY

At the Kelly Match we will modify this technique somewhat:

1) Your support side hand/arm will remain by your side...The technique shown in the video using your support side arm out front to defend a knife attack is an advanced technique that we will not use at the Kelly Match.

2) We will shoot from 3 yards so that the muzzle blast will not damage/destroy the targets.

3) Everyone with a compensator - you will be in the Open Division - will just thrust their strong hand out if front of them so they are not getting the gas from the compensator ports hitting themselves or the person next to them. Since each division is scored separately that should not be a problem because everyone in the division you are competing in will shoot the string the same way.

Basically, it will be shooting strong hand only - with the firearms in close to the body.

If one doesn't have time to shoot the whole match, could one just shoot the side-match a bunch?

Absolutely... $10 per run if you use our shotgun and ammo or $5 per run if you use your shotgun and ammo; or you can shoot a modified version of the stage with your hand gun and your ammo. (Hand gunners will shoot two paper targets plus the Texas Star instead of the poppers with the flipped clays).

See the Course of Fire description here: View attachment Kelly Match Texas Star.doc

Last edited:
If one doesn't have time to shoot the whole match, could one just shoot the side-match a bunch?

On this topic... If you can't stay to shoot the entire match, shoot just those stages you are interested in. The length of the match will depend on how many shooters participate...last year we had 107; the year before we had 77. The round count, number of starts, etc for the stages have been reduced a little bit this year to help move things along.

This is a cool event. I came to watch last year. I hope to participate this year. Thanks for running the event.

ETA: there's slush too? I'm there!

Last edited:
On this topic... The round count, number of starts, etc for the stages have been reduced a little bit this year to help move things along.

That might depend on how many pieces of steel we bring up. Personally I'm going to try to talk Jim into a 50 target stage of all small steel [rofl] Depends on how tight we can pack the truck. God hates a coward! [pot]

Dave

That might depend on how many pieces of steel we bring up. Personally I'm going to try to talk Jim into a 50 target stage of all small steel [rofl] Depends on how tight we can pack the truck. God hates a coward! [pot]

Dave

You set it up, we will shoot it. Or at least shoot at it [laugh] 50 pieces would be fun. I will pack all 20 mags

10 rounds per mag. If you run out of mags you can reload and we will restart you (this is a special provision for the Kelly Match).

How about if I bring 4 x 33 round mags, and just put a snap cap every 11th round, so I have to cycle it, as if reloading? [smile]

Oh, and I'll see you there. Really looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom