• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3rd Annual John Kelly Practical Shooting Match - SUN 7/29/12 @ Harvard SC

On Sunday, July 29th, 2012, the Harvard Sportsmens Club will be hosting the 3rd Annual John Kelly Memorial Practical Shooting Match in memory of our departed friend John Kelly. Mr. Kelly was an avid practical shooting participant who never had a bad word for any one discipline over another (he played them all) and was always the first one to lend a helping hand to both new and experienced shooters alike.

In memory of Mr. Kelly, we ask that all experienced shooters who attend the match go the extra mile to help out new folks either coming out to try practical shooting for the first time, or experienced shooters trying a new discipline. In the first year (2010) we had 77 shooters from the entire spectrum of experience and a good time was had by all; in the second year (2011) the participants increased to 107 shooters. Due to the size of the match we are going to make the stages a little smaller this year to accomodate all the shooters in a timely fashion.

This year will have five stages with a slightly different lineup: (1) IDPA; (2) USPSA; (3) modified NRA Police Pistol Combat (4) Steel Challenge Stage, and (5) Walls of Steel Stage. All stages will be outdoors this year. We dropped the indoor-no light IDPA stage from the 2010 match. {NOTE: The Walls of Steel Stage was added on the day after the original post when the Wallum Lake Crew joined in.} Same rules as last year, pick one gun and equipment setup and use it for all 5 stages regardless of the individual sport's equipment rules. You will have to follow each sport's rule regarding magazine capacity, so for example in the IDPA stage the maximum round capacity will be 10 per magazine. We will have 5 divisions based on USPSA: Open, Production, Single Stack, Limited and Revolver (no Limited 10 - L10 shooters will shoot with Limited shooters this year, not Production like last year.) Dave Bold from The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford has stepped up and will do the scoring for us so that a champion, bragging rights only (no trophies), will be crowned in each division.

We are also planning on having the side-match fund raiser stage with the Texas Star, steel-clay flipping poppers using provided shotguns and 7.5 birdshot. This side-match was $10 per run if you used our shotguns and ammo or $5 per run if you used your handgun and your ammo on a modified version without the steel-clay flipping poppers. If you would like to bring your own shotgun and 7.5 birdshot you can also participate in the side-match at $5 per run. This side-stage was a hit at last year's match and helped raise a lot of funds. See the link at the end of this post to see what GOAL did with your contributuions.

This year there will be no pre-registration or T-shirts... Registration will start at 9:00 a.m. on the day of the match, shooters meeting at 9:45 a.m. and first shots at 10:00 a.m. The match fee will be $20 and 1/2 will go to GOAL and the other 1/2 to the American Heart Association.

If you have thought about trying practical shooting, this is the place to start! You will need a pistol or revolver (9mm to .45 for pistols; .38 to .45 for revolvers), a strong side belt holster, and three loading devices (magazines, speedloaders, moonclips, etc). As usual, eye and ear protection as well and 200 rounds of ammunition to be on the safe side.

My thanks to Michael Joffe and the Harvard SC Metro West Tactical IDPA Group; Al Senesi and the Harvard Action Shooters USPSA Group; Paul Dandini and the Harvard SC Steel Challenge Group; Aaron Haines from the Metro West Tactical IDPA Group for running the Texas Star side-match; Dave Bold and the Action Pistol Team at The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford; and Jim Richardson and the Wallum Lake Walls of Steel Group.

If anyone would like to staff the match just send me an email at [email protected] or send me a PM on Northeastshooters.com (NBPD3682). We look forward to seeing everyone again this year!

Check out this link for a story regarding how GOAL used the proceeds of the match last year: http://www.goal.org/newspages/2011_kelly_match.html

Regards,
John Catterall
Match Director

Last edited:
Count me in, last year was great!! I am not an SO, so I know I can't staff the match, but if I can help in anyway please let me know!!

In!
John - are you planning on embedding the range officers with the squads or having them remain at one stage?

You have a great bunch of guys working with you to make this match happen again this year.

Last year the SOs stayed at each stage, but we had extra SOs for each stage so the SOs could swap out and shoot the other stages.

So the SOs got to shoot all the stages, but the same extended crew scored each stage. That way we had IDPA SOs on the IDPA stage, USPSA ROs on the USPSA stage, etc.

In!
John - are you planning on embedding the range officers with the squads or having them remain at one stage?

You have a great bunch of guys working with you to make this match happen again this year.

I think it will depend on how many volunteers we get for the match. I expect to have plenty of help so what we have been doing is giving the staff a different colored score sheet and they can relieve each other to slip away and go to the head of the lines to get their match in. Several staff in the past have just worked the match and did not shoot.

We will squad shooters that morning and try to keep the squads as balanced as possible. If we get enough help I'm leaning toward having staff assigned to specific stages for the whole match rather than embed the RO/SOs. On the other hand, if we get enough help so that we can have at least 1 IDPA SO and 1 USPSA RO on each squad then we can look to embed some staff. Those volunteers who just want to work a particular discipline and not shoot can stay on their pit for the whole match. The possible kink in that plan would be if regular USPSA shooters want to squad together; regular IDPA shooters squadding together, etc. We can figure this out once we get some staff committments on board.

BTW: The Slushy Lady is on board as the food vendor for this match.

Count me in, last year was great!! I am not an SO, so I know I can't staff the match, but if I can help in anyway please let me know!!

Thanks Scott! I know you always bring your EMS gear with you... How about we staff you as the medic? You can shoot through to get your stages in and then be free to help out with first aid, keeping people hydrated, etc for the remainder.

Thanks Scott! I know you always bring your EMS gear with you... How about we staff you as the medic? You can shoot through to get your stages in and then be free to help out with first aid, keeping people hydrated, etc for the remainder.

Sounds good to me. I don't mind helping with set-up and take down, if you need volunteers for that. Looking forward to this year's Kelly match!!

(no Limited 10 - shooting Production with a Limited gun is OK).

I suggest this be reconsidered. With the rule as announced, a single stack 1911 or widebody 1911 loaded to 10 is lumped in with all the double action/safe action production guns. I know the USPSA rules aren't the sole guiding factor, but I think it would be unfortunate if the folks used to shooting "true production" found themselves competing against single action 1911's.

Excellent!!!!

I suggest this be reconsidered. With the rule as announced, a single stack 1911 or widebody 1911 loaded to 10 is lumped in with all the double action/safe action production guns. I know the USPSA rules aren't the sole guiding factor, but I think it would be unfortunate if the folks used to shooting "true production" found themselves competing against single action 1911's.

This came up last year as well and we kicked it around... The reason for this was to make it a little easier on Dave Bold, our score keeper. I know it's tough enough to do scoring for large crowds when you don't have technology like the Palms but at least you have a scoring software program. For this match Dave has to use a homemade hybrid scoring system, I believe using Excel, to accomodate the various disciplines and be able to crown an overall champ in each division. Dave "borrows" USPSA style scoring to give the top shooter on each stage 100% of the match points for that stage and then just adds up how everyone did across 5 different stages to declare a division champ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! The Walls of Steel stage is back in when Jim Richardson and the crew from Wallum Lake joined in. The Walls of Steel stage has always been a popular stage at the Kelly Match and we are glad they could make it this year. Check out the link above for a NES thread on the 2012 Walls of Steel match. If you can't do the regular Walls of Steel match in August they are planning their "mini" Walls of Steel for September this year.

Great news! The Walls of Steel stage is back in when Jim Richardson and the crew from Wallum Lake joined in. The Walls of Steel stage has always been a popular stage at the Kelly Match and we are glad they could make it this year. Check out the link above for a NES thread on the 2012 Walls of Steel match. If you can't do the regular Walls of Steel match in August they are planning their "mini" Walls of Steel for September this year.

[cheers] This is great news, I'm glad they could make it. Bring lots of extra ammo!

Excellent!!!!

Dave Bold and I discussed Rob's suggestion and this year we will have Limited-10 shooters shooting in the Limited Division rather than Production.

Also, with the addition of the Walls of Steel Stage, if you have more than three magazines/speed loaders/moonclips bring as many as you have. Walls of Steel limit their mags to 10 rounds each. Personally, I set a "budget" of 50 rounds per WOS stage - those steel targets sometimes are tricky and you can easily expend a ton of ammo. If you only have 3 mags you will stop after expending 30 rounds, reload your mags, then get a re-start. We will add up the times for those who have only 3 mags and need more ammo to finish the stage.

For this I may make the drive and shoot this match for the first time......

I've never tried any of this type of shooting. I'd love to give it a whirl but my only handgun is currently a Sig P239 in 9mm. I think that seems kind of small for this. Would it be worth investing in a full size M&P or the like? My only concern is that even if I do buy a new gun, I'll be out of state for the next few weeks and will be just returning that week, so I wouldn't get much practice manipulating the weapon before trying this. Would that be so much overload that it would be a problem?

I've never tried any of this type of shooting. I'd love to give it a whirl but my only handgun is currently a Sig P239 in 9mm. I think that seems kind of small for this. Would it be worth investing in a full size M&P or the like? My only concern is that even if I do buy a new gun, I'll be out of state for the next few weeks and will be just returning that week, so I wouldn't get much practice manipulating the weapon before trying this. Would that be so much overload that it would be a problem?

You could do it with 8 round mags... people shooting 1911's in .45 ACP do it all the time... The question is how many mags do you have for it? The more the better but you should have at least 3. With that said, a full size M&P or similar firearm is probably the most common type of pistol used in these type of matches. Use the Kelly Match as an excuse to treat yourself to a new gun.[grin]

As far as practice goes, as long as you are safe in your gun handling nobody will care how fast or how accurate you shoot...just be safe.

Well heck - if Mikie's coming, I might as well sign up to RO just to watch him move. Even in my younger days, I was never that fast - legs too short. [rofl]

e-mail to follow, John.

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:

On Sunday, July 29th, 2012, the Harvard Sportsmens Club will be hosting the 3rd Annual John Kelly Memorial Practical Shooting Match

Look at that! My two favorite things, guns and slushies!

This sounds like a great time and since its a Sunday I can attend! Consider me IN! I've tried a few different action shooting concentrations but haven't had the opportunity to try them all so I'm really excited to get a little taste of everything.
I love how this is laid out with variety and simplicity. I will be taking the ride for this.

Look at that! My two favorite things, guns and slushies!

This sounds like a great time and since its a Sunday I can attend! Consider me IN! I've tried a few different action shooting concentrations but haven't had the opportunity to try them all so I'm really excited to get a little taste of everything.
I love how this is laid out with variety and simplicity. I will be taking the ride for this.

Guess that means I am in too. [grin]

I did. In retrospect it was a bad choice of words given this is a thread about a memorial match. I do apologize to family and friends of John Kelly if it was taken any other way than I will finally try sport shooting.

Back
Top Bottom