3MOA vs 6MOA Red Dot

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm looking to put a red dot optic on my STI Marauder and am wondering whether a 3MOA or 6MOA dot would be the best option. Basically this will turn into a race type gun, which I'll be looking for quick follow up shots and precision on target. For precision I'm reading a smaller dot is better, but for quicker follow up a larger dot is better.

So what do size dot do you run on your gun and why do you like it vs a different dot? Thanks

Once I decide on a dot size I need to decide between a Trijicon RMR vs a Vortex Razor. I like the larger size of the Razor compared to the smaller Viper option. Plus the Viper only comes in 6MOA.

Once I decide on a dot size I need to decide between a Trijicon RMR vs a Vortex Razor. I like the larger size of the Razor compared to the smaller Viper option. Plus the Viper only comes in 6MOA.
I've been hearing some not so stellar reviews of the Razor. Changing the battery requires removing the entire optic, nulling your zero.

I would be more concerned with brightness and reliability than dot size to be honest. Currently using a gun with Romeo 1, have both 3 and 6. keep the 6 on the gun and the 3 in the range bag for spares as the 6 is much brighter, therefore easier to pick up, especially in bright sun.

I would suggest you have to consider any slide mounted optic somewhat an expendable item. Admittedly based on anecdotal evidence, the only one that regularly seems to go much past 5k rounds is Shield. Even the highly touted Trijicon is far from a lifetime item according to the guys who shoot ....alot.

They indicated it will last two years on the Vortex and four years on the Trijicon.
2 years needing to remove a sight to change batteries is a bit of a pain but 2 years, eh.
I put a sight base on a glock for a friend. Slide into rear sight slot and held in place with set screws and loctite.
The sight then when on to that(burris fastfire nock off). I really cant see how it would loose zero removing just the sight assembly. You probably have a greater shift in zero based on lighting conditions.

I have never been a red dot fan but have come to learn your generally shooting at large targets. So as noted before the size you can pick up and see the best will be better.

I shoot rifle more than pistol , i shoot better groups and scores with a wide front sight. Although one of my better shooting pistols in my hands has a pretty fat front sight and wide deep rear notch.

for pistol 6 MOA for sure. i like the 3 MOA for a long gun or something you might be pushing out to 100 yards.

6 for action type shooting.

you can always aim with the top of the dot on tight far shots. A bigger dot also seems like it moves less and is less twitchy since it is easier for you eye to track.

This man speaks the truth.
I run an 8moa cmore on my open gun and never felt handicapped.

6 for action type shooting.

you can always aim with the top of the dot on tight far shots. A bigger dot also seems like it moves less and is less twitchy since it is easier for you eye to track.
I always thought the triangle on Leuopold's Deltapoint Pro would be cool for that top-of-the-dot technique but the glass broke too easily in reviews. 6moa Trijicon RMR Type 2 for me.

3 moa is best, 6 is too big. I have never found a situation when a 3MOA dot was too small, but have definitely found times when a 6MOA was too big .
Put the dot on the target on and shoot. The smaller the dot the better is farther out for precise shooting.

While you would think 3MOA in one optic would match 3MOA in a competitors optic, that is not often the case.

The 2.5 Delta point pro is super bright and clear and looks comparable to the RTS2 6moa. Even within cmore, advertised dot size of the RTS line does not match the slideride line.

If you follow the USPSA carry optics top competitors, you will see a trend of replacing the sights at a predetermined round count (before they fail), because they all will fail.

Put the dot on the target on and shoot. The smaller the dot the better is farther out for precise shooting.

This isn't completely true. It is easier, and more natural for the eye to center one thing (red dot) inside of another thing (target) when the two things are close in size. Think of it like centering a single pea on a dinner plate, vs centering a saucer on the same dinner plate. In action shooting, saucer on dinner plate is faster, and more than enough accurate. Bullseye shooting or rifle work at further distance is a different story.

While you would think 3MOA in one optic would match 3MOA in a competitors optic, that is not often the case.

The 2.5 Delta point pro is super bright and clear and looks comparable to the RTS2 6moa. Even within cmore, advertised dot size of the RTS line does not match the slideride line.

If you follow the USPSA carry optics top competitors, you will see a trend of replacing the sights at a predetermined round count (before they fail), because they all will fail.

Even in the Slideride there is a noticeable different in the same claimed size, both in brightness and size. I had a bunch of modules and it usually was a crap shoot on what you got.

I have shot a lot with a red dot sight on a pistol, and I have never thought "I need a larger dot." But I have definitely had the opposite experience where a dot is too large for precision work. I will admit that I do a lot of target work, but I also do close quick work, and I still prefer a small dot for versatility.

Brightness is also very important, a 3 or 4 MOA dot should still be very bright and visible in full sunlight. But if the dot is too dim, you need a better quality optic, not a larger dot.

IMG_20190121_012217004.jpg I like the 7.5 moa Leupold Deltapoint Pro works great for fast aqquisition and for precise work I use the too of the delta I run them on my 3 gun stuff and a 10/22 I built up.

I've been hearing some not so stellar reviews of the Razor. Changing the battery requires removing the entire optic, nulling your zero.

Don't they have a battery tray on the side? I don't remember that being a problem when I was looking at the Razor.

The DPP 2.5 is considered one of the brightest red dots. As has been mentioned, it can appear larger at full power. Battery replacement is simple as well. Rugged build, and good warranty.

The new Vortex 6MOA venom is said to be as bright, maybe even brighter than the DPP. Smaller window than the DPP. Great Vortex warranty.

The C-More RTS2 is also popular in 6 MOA. The slide rides are typically found on open guns. One year warranty, more expensive than the others, but seem to be popular on most race guns (though Atlas won't recommend them).

I've had the Burris FF3, the Venom 3 MOA, and I'm currently running a DPP 2.5 I never really had a problem with any of them. The DPP probably has about 8K under it, and I do like the bigger window. Having said that, if i were in the market today, I'd likely consider the 6 MOA Venom.

Also have C-More on my Czechmate. It's okay. I got it with a 6 MOA dot and have since tried an 8 MOA module. I don't see much of a difference. I might change is someday, but that comes with the additional expense of a new mount.

I have shot a lot with a red dot sight on a pistol, and I have never thought "I need a larger dot." But I have definitely had the opposite experience where a dot is too large for precision work. I will admit that I do a lot of target work, but I also do close quick work, and I still prefer a small dot for versatility.

Brightness is also very important, a 3 or 4 MOA dot should still be very bright and visible in full sunlight. But if the dot is too dim, you need a better quality optic, not a larger dot.
Im just curious in what precision means in pistol shooting with red dots?

For action type shooting, it probably means the occasional 25-40 yard shot during a match.

For bullseye shooters, no idea.

And how often do you see even 25 yards is uspsa that aren't full targets.

Although I do remember a stage at Harvard that was all partials with NS on both sides at 50 yards or at least it seemed that far. I think all but a handful of shooters zeroed it. If you shot 2 NS you zeroed the stage.

Im just curious in what precision means in pistol shooting with red dots?

In bullseye shooting, the 10 ring at 50 yards is a little over 3". Of course the X ring is only about half that size, but few people are expecting to hit the X ring consistently.

In a more practical sense, when I think about a red dot on a service pistol, I consider how the whole setup will function. I like an optic where a 50 yard center of mass shot feels well within reach, and a 50 yard shot on a varmint or other small target is possible.

And how often do you see even 25 yards is uspsa that aren't full targets.

Although I do remember a stage at Harvard that was all partials with NS on both sides at 50 yards or at least it seemed that far. I think all but a handful of shooters zeroed it. If you shot 2 NS you zeroed the stage.
Good point. I remember a couple 40ish? yard shots at Area 7 last year and in 2017.

As far as action shooting, I would take Supermotos advice... I mean at 25 yards, the dot is only covering 1.5 inches of the target. I think you'll be fine.

I run a 3moa, as my guns generally pull triple duty between fun, training, and competition.

How much action pistol shooting do you do?

Back
Top Bottom