• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3D printer documentary

Why do you limit your thinking of 3DP to plastics?

I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine machines that would work with some metals, then better metals, then...
Strictly because of the commodity tech available. I also have my doubts that "printing" metal will be cost effective any time soon relative to CNC milling. Just a basic conservation of energy and metallurgy mean it will be while, if ever, before it isn't easier to cut metal than "deposit" it.

- - - Updated - - -

you could always print a lost wax casting and cast your own lower. casting isn't too difficult.
Casting has metallurgical limitations (strength).

Can be done, again, its just harder than hitting "print" of a design that has worked out all the kinks of reinforcement and material choice already.

being licensed, exactly how much control can/would the feds be able to have over them? asking because i know you'd know.
As a practical matter, who knows what the ATF _could_ try, but the reality is that polymer guns and parts already exist. So, if they stop him, they stop everything, so there isn't much in the way of "special limitations" on him that I would expect.

Stopping something like putting out a downloadable pattern would likely require an act of Congress since it is not within the scope of ATF regulations/powers. Doing so also has profound "freedom of expression" implications and would not likely hold up in court on 1A basis.

you could always print a lost wax casting and cast your own lower. casting isn't too difficult.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This guy is a mother****ing genius!

Like I was saying, print shit in wax (much easier and cheaper) and there are ****ing kits sold that include single shot Al charge for home casting. So theoretically you can cast your own gAyR lower, like .... ****ing now! Using similar tech or thermite loads you can cast metal parts ... now!!!

Soviets has developed technology to cast tank parts in the field .... wait for it ... wait ... in mother****ing 40s and casting them not from plastics but in real ****ing metal. Why you people get all worked up over plastic shit, plastic rifles???

Strictly because of the commodity tech available. I also have my doubts that "printing" metal will be cost effective any time soon relative to CNC milling. Just a basic conservation of energy and metallurgy mean it will be while, if ever, before it isn't easier to cut metal than "deposit" it.

- - - Updated - - -

Casting has metallurgical limitations (strength).

Can be done, again, its just harder than hitting "print" of a design that has worked out all the kinks of reinforcement and material choice already.
but you can cast in materials that may be stronger than readily available ABS et al and use a reinforced polymer instead, yes a bit more involved but make the right mold and mass producing these is not out of reach of the average guy in his back yard

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This guy is a mother****ing genius!

Like I was saying, print shit in wax (much easier and cheaper) and there are ****ing kits sold that include single shot Al charge for home casting. So theoretically you can cast your own gAyR lower, like .... ****ing now! Using similar tech or thermite loads you can cast metal parts ... now!!!

Soviets has developed technology to cast tank parts in the field .... wait for it ... wait ... in mother****ing 40s and casting them not from plastics but in real ****ing metal. Why you people get all worked up over plastic shit, plastic rifles???
Plastics are more easily worked after the fact and potentially more durable and even stronger than brittle cast metal. Often lighter as well.

Not knocking casting, just pointing out that it is not a panacea and has its drawbacks relative to plastic as plastic does to cast and again forged.

but you can cast in materials that may be stronger than readily available ABS et al and use a reinforced polymer instead, yes a bit more involved but make the right mold and mass producing these is not out of reach of the average guy in his back yard
Not "out of reach" but harder.

and perfect is kicking "good enough" guys butt here. [wink]

Part of this process is looking forward to one potential future where plastic printing with broad material strength/choice as readily accessible as inkjet printers. Obviously no one can predict the future, but the nature of plastics makes this future seem probable.

Plastics are more easily worked after the fact and potentially more durable and even stronger than brittle cast metal. Often lighter as well.

Not knocking casting, just pointing out that it is not a panacea and has its drawbacks relative to plastic as plastic does to cast and again forged.

NO. You can cast to insane tolerances, a lot of dental crowns are cast. You don't need to work on parts that were properly cast from investment casting.

Cast Al alloys not only shit piss then rape any plastic there is, in terms of compressive strength they can rival steel. I'm not saying that Al is your homeboy, but even people in 3rd world countries cast incredible things from literally mud.

One can make an entire gun from cast parts ... now. Improving this technology for DIY, homeuse is better path than dicking around with thermo-plastics that will never stand up to abuse most metals laugh at.

this is how jeweler down the road from you cast his/her rings from lost wax, in gold (much higher temp than Al):

12-jewellery-tree-gold-silver-trees_BIG.jpg

do you think that gAyR receiver is more complicated than this???

NO. You can cast to insane tolerances, a lot of dental crowns are cast. You don't need to work on parts that were properly cast from investment casting.

Cast Al alloys not only shit piss then rape any plastic there is, in terms of compressive strength they can rival steel. I'm not saying that Al is your homeboy, but even people in 3rd world countries cast incredible things from literally mud.

One can make an entire gun from cast parts ... now. Improving this technology for DIY, homeuse is better path than dicking around with thermo-plastics that will never stand up to abuse most metals laugh at.
The market will decide which is better and that will change with technology. [wink] I am not presuming to outsmart either the technology or the market to say that one WILL be superior to the other over the broad range of application, user preference, materials availability, etc...

To put my thoughts another way, this is not a plastic vs metal !@#$ measuring contest. It is just a practical reality that there is a large segment of humanity who will find "printing" easier than dealing with molten metals. Much as they found laser/inkjet easier than typing or typesetting.

The quality and structural integrity of casting is a function of the metals chosen and the chef putting them together. Sure, anyone can make a hamburger, but some chefs do it better.

- - - Updated - - -

this is how jeweler down the road from you cast his/her rings from lost wax, in gold (much higher temp than Al):

12-jewellery-tree-gold-silver-trees_BIG.jpg

do you think that gAyR receiver is more complicated than this???
Sigh, no, but how many people can do that?
How many people can mouse over to "file->print"?

Also "intricate" != "accurate" != "precise"

Last edited:
The main limitation I see with metal is size of the object as it relates to getting the print head moving fast enough to lay down the next layer before the previous layer is fully solidified. Especially as it relates to the material's natural heat transfer properties.

But materials can be deigned that might behave more betterish. :D

The main limitation I see with metal is size of the object as it relates to getting the print head moving fast enough to lay down the next layer before the previous layer is fully solidified. Especially as it relates to the material's natural heat transfer properties.

But materials can be deigned that might behave more betterish. :D
There is also alignment/arrangement at the atomic/molecular level. Imposing the plane of deposition could also potentially interfere with more "ideal" alignment/arrangement.

There is also alignment/arrangement at the atomic/molecular level. Imposing the plane of deposition could also potentially interfere with more "ideal" alignment/arrangement.

I'm not worried about that... then again, I'm not pulling the trigger first. :D lol

But seriously, that's why I was talking about size/speed; the next layer has to be deposited before the crystalline structures are set, and the layers need to cool quickly enough to keep form. Then there might be a tempering process, too. Who knows.

I'd love to play around with it!

I'm not worried about that... then again, I'm not pulling the trigger first. :D lol

But seriously, that's why I was talking about size/speed; the next layer has to be deposited before the crystalline structures are set, and the layers need to cool quickly enough to keep form. Then there might be a tempering process, too. Who knows.

I'd love to play around with it!
Yep, as you should be able to, which is really the bottom line here. This sort of experimentation should not be stopped and will not be stopped, so our laws and legislation should take a moment to realize that it is yet another argument for ending all of this malum prohibitum nonsense and focusing laws on bad people doing bad things rather than trying to control good people.

When this conversation veers towards the technical merits of this method or that method of manufacture, it misses the point as badly as "why do you need a 30 round magazine" or "why do you need a semi-auto rifle".

That's not the question. The question is "why do you think you have the power to tell me no?" "Why should I allow you to continue holding office when you cannot read the Constitution?"

I have several fully functional mags for my MP15-22 that I personally modeled and printed on a UPrint. 30rd and 10rd varieties. The only non-printed part is the spring.

Also, even if their gun is only good for a mag or two, which would you rather have, one of those in .223 or one of these:

300px-M1942_liberator.jpg

Let's be honest.

Anything that increases the number of guns and direct access to guns is a good thing and should be encouraged. Would I rather someone hand me an AK rather than a printed AR? Sure I would. But I'd rather have the printed AR than nothing.

I have several fully functional mags for my MP15-22 that I personally modeled and printed on a UPrint. 30rd and 10rd varieties. The only non-printed part is the spring.

Also, even if their gun is only good for a mag or two, which would you rather have, one of those in .223 or one of these:

300px-M1942_liberator.jpg

Let's be honest.

Anything that increases the number of guns and direct access to guns is a good thing and should be encouraged. Would I rather someone hand me an AK rather than a printed AR? Sure I would. But I'd rather have the printed AR than nothing.

absolutely, the root issue of this is getting more baby-seal killing guns, especially the ones that big bro don't know about it. There will be much better alternatives, stay tuned ...

Back
Top Bottom