• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3D printer documentary

Smart guy.

Some liberal douchenozzles in there, fair warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking out the forum there and general rumors around the interwebs, there seems to be a growing interest in fully printed (minus propellant and primer) ammo. I have some polymer cased .38 sp that I've never shot. I'd think given the shortage on components, that this could become very popular. Weight alone would be a HUGE plus. Imagine a 30rd mag full of plastic ammo. Bye bye brass.

AHHHH I need a 3D printer. NES, we need to put together a 3D printing R&D project.

Last edited:
I bought a few hundred rounds of a polymer cased 5.56 when it came out, back in 2005 or whenever. It had a little brass base with the primer, and the case was like a plastic shotgun shell casing, but shaped like a cartridge.

It never caught on, I think that it was perceived as less accurate or something. Seemed like a great idea to me, given the rise in the price of copper, if they could work the bugs out. I think the company went bankrupt though.

Big thing there trying to do nowadays is make ceaseless ammo I think this is very similar
The 120mm cannon in the M1A1 tank uses combustable shells.

Whole lotta hype goin on here. They don't mention, for example that the 3d printed lower probably cost 3-5X of a machined one.

Whole lotta hype goin on here. They don't mention, for example that the 3d printed lower probably cost 3-5X of a machined one.

and lasts 100 times shorter [rofl]

I just don't get this printed shit retardation. Ok, print ****ing receivers, but you know that the whole "receiver" concept is BS.

Why not go totally ghey and just knit a mother****ing receivers? Seriously, just ****ing knit them out of ****ing kevlar, it would probably outlast ****ing aluminum lower and you will look gheyer than a fruit salad in a**h***s of ghey orgy participants.

The dude doing this is a bit of a "crusader" well beyond guns. Anyone who calls themselves "anarcho..." or "crypto..." anything is going to have some "hype" about them, but he is very right on this issue.

His point is that gun-control and bans are pointless because people are going to be able to do as they please and should be able to do as they please.

Again, on that, he's 100% right. This isn't about cost effectiveness and should not be for us either. The issue is that these bans on boxes, springs, metal and plastic are absurd. Crime is about people, not the boxes, springs, plastic and metal they use.

Alexander, Genghis, Atilla, Rome itself conquered vast swaths of the known world with nothing more than swords, spears and arrows.

If I recall my history correctly, Genghis alone killed more than 10% of the total human population at the time. WWII only reached ~2.5%

So, regulating what good people do is pointless when it comes to trying to stop crime. You have to go after people who do actual "bad things" rather than malum prohibitum nonsense.

well duh, but this smells like most of the Boston startups, shitload of hype to attract attention and nothing to show for, like real mother****ing guns that kill babies and shit. When I see that, I'll stop mocking this dick.

3D printing is in it's infancy. Think of how far other tech/IT based technology has come in the last 20 years, then imagine where we'll be with 3d printing in 20.

As an FFL mfg....I am damn tired of this....if they are producing something that falls within the rules ....great..if not let them get the same licensure that I have...if not as an FFL mfg..arrest them and incarcerate them for flouting the same rules that I have complied with..not an iota of respect or sympathy here...and purchasers of known illegals ought be subject to felony arrest as well..straight up and back at anyone that thinks they should be exempt since its polymer.

As an FFL mfg....I am damn tired of this....if they are producing something that falls within the rules ....great..if not let them get the same licensure that I have...if not as an FFL mfg..arrest them and incarcerate them for flouting the same rules that I have complied with..not an iota of respect or sympathy here...and purchasers of known illegals ought be subject to felony arrest as well..straight up and back at anyone that thinks they should be exempt since its polymer.
Geez, lots of errors in your rant (I too am an FFL07):
1. He now has an FFL07, so your argument is completely invalid.

2. He is/was not claiming any exemption because it is polymer, where did you get that? What he was talking about is that as ANYONE who is NOT an FFL07 can make a firearm for their own consumption (provided it is not NFA) today. Out of metal, wood, rubber, or unobtainium, whittled by hand, printed with a printer or milled by a CNC machine, it does not matter if you do not sell it (again provided it is not NFA and you are not an FFL).

The key is that a license is required to SELL whatever you make. To do that, it must be serialized, recorded and you need an FFL07 obviously.

Your ire is badly misplaced.

Geez, lots of errors in your rant (I too am an FFL07):
1. He now has an FFL07, so your argument is completely invalid.

2. He is/was not claiming any exemption because it is polymer, where did you get that? What he was talking about is that as ANYONE who is NOT an FFL07 can make a firearm for their own consumption (provided it is not NFA) today. Out of metal, wood, rubber, or unobtainium, whittled by hand, printed with a printer or milled by a CNC machine, it does not matter if you do not sell it (again provided it is not NFA and you are not an FFL).

The key is that a license is required to SELL whatever you make. To do that, it must be serialized and you need an FFL07.

Your ire is badly misplaced.

Disagree....their rant is to flout the rules..if they do..hope they get slammed..and propagation of flouting rules through personal mfg is just as distasteful.

Disagree....their rant is to flout the rules..if they do..hope they get slammed..and propagation of flouting rules through personal mfg is just as distasteful.
Which rules are they "flouting?"
1. He has an FFL07, so he can legally produce serialized parts and sell them if he wanted to.

2. Even if he did not have an FFL07, provided he did not sell it, it would not matter. This would be 100% legal (provided he did not sell it and he has not).

So, again, what rules are they "flouting" or breaking? He is 100% complying with the law from every depiction I have seen. He has even met with the ATF to discuss what he is going.

What is distasteful here? "Personal manufacturing" is not "flouting" rules, it is not regulated because the courts have correctly found that what you do in the privacy of your own home and outside of interstate commerce is not within the jurisdiction of the Federal Governments or Courts.

It is what free people can do and should be able to do in the privacy of their own home. Our choice to get licenses is just that, our choice and it allows us to engage in commerce. Whether or not the scope of commercial regulation is in fitting with the Constitution is another topic alltogether.

The fact that this guy engaged in 100% legal private behavior prior to obtaining an FFL07 and now regulated and still legal behavior after obtaining an FFL07 bothers you is part of the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

You think it ought to be illegal for a person to make (and use) whatever they want?
Evidently, though he clearly didn't watch the entire video or familiarize himself with the facts of the situation based on his rant.

3D printing is in it's infancy. Think of how far other tech/IT based technology has come in the last 20 years, then imagine where we'll be with 3d printing in 20.
Really? The first commercial systems hit the market in 1988.

It's reached the popular imagination in the last year. The industry has been growing at 20-25% per year.

It is what free people can do and should be able to do in the privacy of their own home. Our choice to get licenses is just that, our choice and it allows us to engage in commerce. Whether or not the scope of commercial regulation is in fitting with the Constitution is another topic alltogether.

As usual, it's all about controlling people. What happens in my home, stays in my home. If .gov declares it illegal, then they are getting into my own space and tell me what I can/not do, whom do I sleep with, what do I make. Then there is no private space for me if in my home, on my time, if I somehow violate some laws.

May be we should each send turds to ATF TB to determine if it's legal to sell them. We all manufacture them at home, but selling ... is that legal? Do my turds need to be serialized before I sell them? Do I need special approval letter from a Shit Tsar?

Also, everyone needs to keep in mind....not a single one of these guys is a gunsmith/polymer expert/machinist. These are regular guys that learned how to operate CAD and picked up a printer.

What happens when a like minded individual that loves guns and has a background in the related fields puts his/her thinking cap on and says enough is enough, let's make some big boy toys. I foresee stable/reliable pistols and rifles, not just lowers, in our very near future, especially if chemical/polymer experts start getting involved. Anyone who says 3D printers are a flash in the pan for guns, sound a lot like the skeptics that giggled at Gaston in 1988.

Also, everyone needs to keep in mind....not a single one of these guys is a gunsmith/polymer expert/machinist. These are regular guys that learned how to operate CAD and picked up a printer.

What happens when a like minded individual that loves guns and has a background in the related fields puts his/her thinking cap on and says enough is enough, let's make some big boy toys. I foresee stable/reliable pistols and rifles, not just lowers, in our very near future, especially if chemical/polymer experts start getting involved. Anyone who says 3D printers are a flash in the pan for guns, sound a lot like the skeptics that giggled at Gaston in 1988.
This is the kind of hype about 3D printing that drives me nuts.

99% of the 3dP parts made today are plastic. They are typical engineering grade polymers like ABS, Polycarbonate, and even some higher-performance products. Or they are UV-curing photopolymers with similar (or worse) properties.

Firearm manufacturers use 3DP to make all kinds of parts: forestocks, stocks, magazines, handles, magazines, etc etc. They routinely prototype metal parts as well. But in every case, everything in contact with the cartridge when it is fired is metal.

3D printers are terrific. I've been using them since they were invented and own a dozen of them, along with sophisticated CAD and CAM software.

If I wanted to build a firearm, I'd buy a small CNC mill and a lathe.

i was making doody all over the other thread about this.

tl;dr: vice produced a mediocre piece full of bullshit at times, i would expect no less from NYC hipsters covering firearms. i am also disappointed that DD went legit, threatened by "the man" or not, the point is to give the government the finger and make this shit in your basement, getting their 07FFL and playing by the rules defeats the purpose.

this i disagree with as they are operating within the law. giving the source file away and giving the finished product away are very different things.

3D printers are terrific. I've been using them since they were invented and own a dozen of them, along with sophisticated CAD and CAM software.

1. Not only has he, but others have made magazines that work just fine.
2. The point is that a high level of skill is not required and the machinery expense is coming down rapidly as well.
3. Working with metal is harder. Driving a bit into your machine for lack of skill/care is not fun. The plastic printer just says "beep" and you get a bad part. Oh well... start over.

In the not-to-distant future, the materials problems are likely to be solved as well, so that "adequate" will give way to "appropriate"

PMAGs have no metal touching the round. Plastics have continued to evolve and all the old arguments of "you will never replace metal here" have given way one-by-one. There may be a limit, but plastics have certainly gone a lot farther than many/most believed they ever could.

Polymer lowers have now survived thousands of rounds of even full-auto fire. Heck, the FNC is a plastic lower. Get used to it.

- - - Updated - - -

i was making doody all over the other thread about this.

tl;dr: vice produced a mediocre piece full of bullshit at times, i would expect no less from NYC hipsters covering firearms. i am also disappointed that DD went legit, threatened by "the man" or not, the point is to give the government the finger and make this shit in your basement, getting their 07FFL and playing by the rules defeats the purpose.
No, it doesn't. It allows them to focus on the science and let the politics work itself out. They can still publish their designs as they see fit.

I think this a great example of not needing to burn everything down to truly change it.

This is the kind of hype about 3D printing that drives me nuts.

99% of the 3dP parts made today are plastic. They are typical engineering grade polymers like ABS, Polycarbonate, and even some higher-performance products. Or they are UV-curing photopolymers with similar (or worse) properties.

Firearm manufacturers use 3DP to make all kinds of parts: forestocks, stocks, magazines, handles, magazines, etc etc. They routinely prototype metal parts as well. But in every case, everything in contact with the cartridge when it is fired is metal.

But most people don't want a CNC machine in their house. Most people just want guns. They'd like to be able to stick in a block of a polymer, turn on the machine, load the software, and hit print. I'd love a cnc machine or a lathe, but a GOOD 3 axis is going to run you some serious $$, metal isn't cheap, and they aren't exactly cheap to maintain. Replacement parts and upkeep add up quickly.

As for the material....glocks are simply reinforced nylon. Eventually, someone is going to be able to replicate the strength of the glock in a printing environment. It's only a matter of time. Hype or not, if there's a will there's a way.

The fact that this exists now...and only a few months ago everyone giggled that the longest functioning one pumped out about 100 rds, should speak wonders for human ingenuity, especially when the company that developed it is run by a gun (kid) that has zero formal training.

That was only a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
PMAGs have no metal touching the round. Plastics have continued to evolve and all the old arguments of "you will never replace metal here" have given way one-by-one. There may be a limit, but plastics have certainly gone a lot farther than many/most believed they ever could.

Polymer lowers have now survived thousands of rounds of even full-auto fire. Heck, the FNC is a plastic lower. Get used to it.

Why do you limit your thinking of 3DP to plastics?

I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine machines that would work with some metals, then better metals, then...

No, it doesn't. It allows them to focus on the science and let the politics work itself out. They can still publish their designs as they see fit.

I think this a great example of not needing to burn everything down to truly change it.

being licensed, exactly how much control can/would the feds be able to have over them? asking because i know you'd know.

Back
Top Bottom