• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3D printed guns

... stop fighting calls for bans with more bans...

Q1: Why? Because not punching back twice as hard has been working out so boffo?
Q2: Do you have some opinion about the outcome of such a bill?
  1. Donks stay away from their own bill in droves.
  2. Bill passes; law is swiftly ruled unconstitutional.
  3. Bill passes, Antifa dies on the vine.
  4. Bill passes, Antifa are rounded up and warehoused in FEMA camps.
  5. ???

Q1: Why? Because not punching back twice as hard has been working out so boffo?

You are right. Legislation and executive measures (tax audits) are being weaponized against gun owners and other segments of the populace. Returning fire in like manner is a reasonable response and not doing so is just assuming the position, because guess what? BOHICA... a... a... a...

Reprisal is a justifiable form of self-defense.

It would also assure that those of you who are fortunate enough to have above average access would have your access, selection and wait times reduced to "average". There is an element of a zero sum game in this.

Linsky's bill requires a MA license to manufacture, and serial number/registration of all manufactured guns.
Video.
State Rep. Linsky Crafts Bill to Address 3D-Printed Gun
As the nation continues to grapple with the legality of 3D-printed guns, Sue talks with a Massachusetts State Rep. David Linsky, who's filing a bill to stop the release of blueprints.

(Published Tuesday, Aug 7, 2018)

From the video, I haven't read the bill yet, Linsky wants printed guns to be classified as firearms just like other guns..........let that sink in........WHY WOULDN'T THEY? No new law needed, a gun is a gun.

He also wants to require a Fed manufacturers license to make a gun. Awesome, now everyone qualifies for an 07FFL, oh wait, this would qualify you for a MA dealer license, and that means production samples (MGs).
/sarc

As stupid as this bill is, I wouldn't put it past the stupid legislatures.

A little more on Linsky's bill from 8/8:
Bill aims to help state "catch up" to 3D-printed guns
BOSTON (SHNS) - Anyone who is not a federally licensed firearm manufacturer would be prohibited from making a gun with a 3D printer, under a bill filed Tuesday by a Natick Democrat.

Rep. David Linksy's bill would also require that any legally made 3D-printed guns officially receive a serial number and that anyone who possesses a 3D-printed gun to be subject to the same licensing requirements in place for traditionally manufactured firearms.
The lawsuit and bill are part of a multi-front approach to combat 3D-printed guns, Linsky said. He said the relatively new technology could allow someone who is not eligible for a gun license in Massachusetts to "go around the entire permitting and produce their own weapon."

Has anyone ever just given testimony or whatever, stating that the sheepdawg's bills are based on such ludicrously stupid ideas that it is simply unbelievable that anyone with greater that a 2nd grade education could not possibly have written it, never mind seriously consider passing it?

"catch up" Hmm, so there must be a problem they've fallen behind of. At my last unofficial count, the number of crimes committed with 3D printed guns in 2018 is....um....zero.

As usual, we pay our representatives to make laws, and they do that even when laws aren't needed. Like most cases, this nonsense doesn't fix any problems but will create headaches and add cost and size to the government.

"catch up" Hmm, so there must be a problem they've fallen behind of. At my last unofficial count, the number of crimes committed with 3D printed guns in 2018 is....um....zero.

As usual, we pay our representatives to make laws, and they do that even when laws aren't needed. Like most cases, this nonsense doesn't fix any problems but will create headaches and add cost and size to the government.

I think you hit the nail square on the head with that comment. THAT is the goal.

Reddit bans "3D printing files to produce firearms"

Reddit’s policy against transactions involving prohibited goods or services
Content is prohibited if it uses Reddit to solicit or facilitate any transaction or gift involving certain goods and services.

You may not use Reddit to solicit or facilitate any transaction or gift involving certain goods and services, including

• Firearms, ammunition, explosives, or 3D printing files to produce firearms;

Now I feel like spending the day at a library computer with a thumb drive collecting files. Not that I need or want them, but...well...I tend to go into FU mode when the stupidity and arrogance gets this thick.

100% of the reason why I got into ARs. Gonna be 100% of the reason I ever buy a 3D printer.

f*** you for telling me what I can or can't do when it has 0 effect on anyone else and you don't even understand the basics behind it.

Now I feel like spending the day at a library computer with a thumb drive collecting files. Not that I need or want them, but...well...I tend to go into FU mode when the stupidity and arrogance gets this thick.

No need to use library. . You can get the files from the convenience of your own home. If you are worried about being on a list, install Brave browser and use its built in TOR browser to access them.

Has anyone ever just given testimony or whatever, stating that the sheepdawg's bills are based on such ludicrously stupid ideas that it is simply unbelievable that anyone with greater that a 2nd grade education could not possibly have written it, never mind seriously consider passing it?

Sorry; the best I could do was to point out to the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security that while at least they could be sure that the gun owners they'd heard testify all day were law-abiding residents, on the other hand some of the Community Leaders from the anti- side might be Prohibited Persons, and thus not eligible to own a gun; not saying that any of them were felons - merely that the solons had no way to be sure about the kind of people addressing them who'd taken the opposite tack...

Now I feel like spending the day at a library computer ...
No need to use library. . You can get the files from the convenience of your own home. ...

You sir, are a killjoy.

spock_sci_station.jpg

100% of the reason why I got into ARs. Gonna be 100% of the reason I ever buy a 3D printer.

f*** you for telling me what I can or can't do when it has 0 effect on anyone else and you don't even understand the basics behind it.
I have a $20,000 3D printer, the same Stratasys machine used to build the original Liberator. Also seen the [metal] 3D printed M1911 - which cost about $25,000 to build.

Don’t bother, even to prove the point. You can build a far better “Expedient firearm” at any big box or hardware store for much less. It really is stupid.

I have a $20,000 3D printer, the same Stratasys machine used to build the original Liberator. Also seen the [metal] 3D printed M1911 - which cost about $25,000 to build.

Don’t bother, even to prove the point. You can build a far better “Expedient firearm” at any big box or hardware store for much less. It really is stupid.

Oh I'm not denying that. It's more of a just because sort of thing. Like a Polymer80. Is there any real point? No, but it makes liberal heads explode so f*** em.

Truthfully, if I was gonna churn out plastic lowers, I'd go with Boris's Lego mold approach.

these guys have AR15 lower, I'd like to see AR9 prints where the magwell is dedicated to specific mag.

One nice thing about 3D printers is that you can print a receiver, then make it through molding into plastic/metal copies fairly easily.

Building and using a 3d printer is a worthwhile project just to gain a deeper understanding of how things work. There are things everybody *should* know. (There's a dated list somewhere out on the net. 100 +/- things every man should do in his life)

As an added bonus, I will NEVER run out of potato chip bag clips or feet for my keyboards.

If you already have the printer there's no reason NOT to print one and it is interesting. You're absolutely correct that it will not be as good a gun as one built from scrap plumbing parts from Home Depot, but you learn a lot.

And it makes heads explode.

Where 3d printers shine is prototyping parts to be mass produced using other methods, like machining or casting technologies. And funky "artwork" to confuse visitors to your home or office.

FOGZXQ5HKVKYSSY.LARGE.jpg

If there is a plastic filament impregnated with metal that shows up in X Rays - would that make your 3D gun legal?

It's only illegal if the gun is undetectable right?

The gun doesn't work without metal parts (a nail + cartridge) which make it detectable.

However, as others have pointed out... if it were truly undetectable, it doesn't matter if it's illegal because it can't be detected. If it is detected and held against you legally, then it's not undetectable.

The gun doesn't work without metal parts (a nail + cartridge) which make it detectable.

However, as others have pointed out... if it were truly undetectable, it doesn't matter if it's illegal because it can't be detected. If it is detected and held against you legally, then it's not undetectable.
Hypothetical:

If I create a Liberator on a 3D printer that uses plastic that easily shows up in X Rays - and I even register it on a FA10 - I would say that no laws were broken.

Maura's new edict only pertains to undetectable guns.

Not that I would do that but I'm just poking holes that the "Liberator" is an illegal gun - only if undetectable.

The law requires all firearms to be as detectable as the security exemplar in an airport metal detector. Adding at least a specific amount of metal (1.6 oz of steel comes to mind, but not going to look it up right now) to the design. The Liberator includes this.

It also requires every firearm to accurately represent its own shape on an airport x-ray machine. All 3d printed guns including the Liberator already do this. You can use special media to enhance that but it isn't necessary to comply with the law.

Hypothetical:

If I create a Liberator on a 3D printer that uses plastic that easily shows up in X Rays - and I even register it on a FA10 - I would say that no laws were broken.

Maura's new edict only pertains to undetectable guns.

Not that I would do that but I'm just poking holes that the "Liberator" is an illegal gun - only if undetectable.

The Liberator is profoundly NOT illegal. It is only possible to make an illegal version if you go out of your way to make it so. Or if you aren't licensed to possess it when completed. But that is true right now with existing law. Passing a new law that makes it illegal to build a gun that isn't compliant with the law is absolutely idiotic...

Just to repeat, the Liberator is an AWFUL gun and other than a learning exercise it is a waste of time to make one, but it IS legal.

Last edited:
If there is a plastic filament impregnated with metal that shows up in X Rays - would that make your 3D gun legal?

I was wondering the same thing because there are filaments with aluminum, brass and copper. There's even carbon fiber filament as well. I don't know what the actual amount of metal would be in a copper printed item but I m guessing it's not a lot. They sure look nice when polished up after printing though.

Back
Top Bottom