• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3D printed guns

Or who says "I support the second amendment but...".
That is like saying "I support the fair housing law, but think that towns should be able to zone where non-white people area allowed to live".

Calls for mandatory taggants in 3D printer filament spools in 3...2...1...

And I'm totally sure that the moonbat-hoplophobe
subpopulation of the Maker community
will instantly get behind this, For Teh Children.

Because it's only the gun printers
that have something to hide from The Man.

Everyone else will gladly register with
their local police department for a License To Print.

(Sure hope they're all suitable residents,
and that none of them were ever rousted for, oh say, skateboarding).

Catch Cody Wilson in 20-25 minutes on Fox News Sunday, it’s in the last half of the show, he’s really good.
Not kidding around either, love his no BS.

Essentially, he’s sorry that dumbass senators are actually realizing what our Rights are (1&2)... too bad for them.

Irrelevant, do you plan to only ever use the words you said in the past and never any new ones once passed?
Will children be able to speak at all? How do you grandfather thought or art?

I was asking to gauge the depths of lawmakers’ stupidity, not on principle.

I was asking to gauge the depths of lawmakers’ stupidity, not on principle.
Rhetorical or not, you know exactly how stupid they are.
My biggest beef is I know at some point we'll be having a thread where people will be spending more time bickering about what's a pre-ban/pre-pre-ban than anyone spent actually going to the public hearings and then wondering why no one could stop it.

Looks like possessing CAD files has been illegal in Australia for a while.
Sydney man faces jail over 3D-printed guns
A Sydneysider facing possible jail time for making replica guns with a 3D printer has claimed he had no idea his hobby could land him in such trouble.

Sicen Sun, 28, was arrested in 2017 after he advertised one of his imitation weapons for sale for AU$1 million on a Facebook buy, swap, and sell group.

He has since pleaded guilty to charges including possessing a digital blueprint for the manufacture of firearms, manufacturing a pistol without a licence permit, and possessing an unauthorised pistol.

Union-Leader's article mentions that MakeIt Labs in Nashua has banned all "firearm-related 3D printing". Sad, but I can see where they'd worry about the perception, even if there's no actual liability.
Although they may have done this for virtue signaling, the ATF did obtain a conviction on a machine shop operator who rented out his CNC machines to people who would come in and finish 80% lowers. Answer any question, even as simple as "how do I turn this thing on", and there is a very real chance the feds will claim you, and not the person renting the machine, is the manufacturer. Probably not worth the risk.

Although they may have done this for virtue signaling, the ATF did obtain a conviction on a machine shop operator who rented out his CNC machines to people who would come in and finish 80% lowers. Answer any question, even as simple as "how do I turn this thing on", and there is a very real chance the feds will claim you, and not the person renting the machine, is the manufacturer. Probably not worth the risk.

I think we know what the answer is ... rent CNC machine to MAKE CNC machine that can finish 80% lowers [laugh]

Rhetorical or not, you know exactly how stupid they are.
My biggest beef is I know at some point we'll be having a thread where people will be spending more time bickering about what's a pre-ban/pre-pre-ban than anyone spent actually going to the public hearings and then wondering why no one could stop it.

The 7/20 ban did not have any hearings! The 1998 ban was what woke me up to start paying more attention. I have been to many (over a dozen) hearings and rallies in between. Not many of those, if any, were about bans, or worked to prevent some sort of ban. There were a lot of other things which were stopped and which passed between 1998 and 7/20/16.

The 7/20 ban did not have any hearings! The 1998 ban was what woke me up to start paying more attention. I have been to many (over a dozen) hearings and rallies in between. Not many of those, if any, were about bans, or worked to prevent some sort of ban. There were a lot of other things which were stopped and which passed between 1998 and 7/20/16.
I'm speaking generally and I am painfully aware of how 720 happened. But for as many people who helped by showing up and fighting there were two to four who couldnt be bothered.
I wish I was stupidly rich so I could pay for busses and pay for our own "useful idiots"

I wish I was stupidly rich so I could pay for busses and pay for our own "useful idiots"

Truthfully, this is exactly what we are lacking. Bloomturd and company bus them in from hundreds of miles away just for one rally. They do this over and over. We can't compete with that here in Mass, we don't have the numbers or financial backing to import the numbers.

Union-Leader's article mentions that MakeIt Labs in Nashua has banned all "firearm-related 3D printing". Sad, but I can see where they'd worry about the perception, even if there's no actual liability.

I went on a tour there, was seriously thinking about joining, did get a kind of Lib vibe from them. Seems to be a core group that just hang out there. And a couple of spaces that are supposed to be available for rent to members are being used by "Board Members" rent free. Seems some are more equal than others.

I wasn't interested in printing a gun, but I was interested in the metal laser engraving and either printing or machining some project parts (gun related). Something tells me the special people would shoot this down.

Now I'll have to look for somewhere else, this sucks.

MakeIt has always had a weird vibe, the other spaces in the region seem better, but can't compete with MakeIt's 80-Watt "Rabbit" laser.

US Democratic representatives are sponsoring bill to ban the publication of CAD files for 3D printing firearms. It is a companion to Bill Nelson's Senate bill.
3D Printed Gun Publishing Ban Introduced By Rep. Brad Schneider
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Rep. Brad Schneider (D-Deerfield) is co-sponsoring a bill to make it illegal to post blueprints for 3D-printed guns on the internet. The 3D Printed Gun Safety Act was introduced Friday by Schneider, Rep. Ted Deutsch (D-Boca Raton, Florida), Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Weston, Florida) and Carolyn Maloney (D-New York City), according to a release. The House version of the legislation is a companion to a Senate bill introduced last month and sponsored by Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Florida).

The proposal would ban the publication of "digital instructions in the form of computer-aided design files or other code that can automatically program a 3-dimensional printer or similar device to produce a firearm or complete a firearm from an unfinished receiver." The law is not aimed at restricting the First Amendment free speech rights of computer programmers, "but rather to curb the pernicious effects of untraceable—and potentially undetectable—firearms," according to its text.
"These 3D-printed guns are a threat to the safety of our nation and communities, and I'm glad to join my colleagues in introducing a bill to keep these blueprints from being posted online."

Thread on Cody Wilson, Defense Distributed, and the ITAR case:
DOJ, Second Amendment Foundation Reach Settlement In Defense Distributed Lawsuit

Thread on Trump demonstrating his support for 1A, 2A:
Trump says 3D-printed guns don’t ‘seem to make much sense’ and is looking

Thread on an opinion:
Union Leader: 3D Printed Guns Are Here to Stay (Boris' Shovel gets a mention)

I went on a tour there, was seriously thinking about joining, did get a kind of Lib vibe from them. Seems to be a core group that just hang out there. And a couple of spaces that are supposed to be available for rent to members are being used by "Board Members" rent free. Seems some are more equal than others.

I wasn't interested in printing a gun, but I was interested in the metal laser engraving and either printing or machining some project parts (gun related). Something tells me the special people would shoot this down.

Now I'll have to look for somewhere else, this sucks.

I'm not sure about that site, but usually board members kick in the bulk of donations and carry the most burden of keeping the place running unlike the rest of people who come and go. If a board member donates brand new CNC rig, s/he probably deserves slightly special treatment. The membership in a lot of places are laughably cheap, like $50/mo, 24/7 access and you'd be surprised what kind of people you meet there. One thing for sure, it's always a good idea to restraint flamboyant gunnosexualism. Not all gun parts look like gun parts. Don't ask, don't tell. It's a good place to learn and use equipment before getting your own, but for $50/mo it's a friggin sweet deal.

US Democratic representatives are sponsoring bill to ban the publication of CAD files for 3D printing firearms. It is a companion to Bill Nelson's Senate bill.
3D Printed Gun Publishing Ban Introduced By Rep. Brad Schneider

Thread on Cody Wilson, Defense Distributed, and the ITAR case:
DOJ, Second Amendment Foundation Reach Settlement In Defense Distributed Lawsuit

Thread on Trump demonstrating his support for 1A, 2A:
Trump says 3D-printed guns don’t ‘seem to make much sense’ and is looking

Thread on an opinion:
Union Leader: 3D Printed Guns Are Here to Stay (Boris' Shovel gets a mention)

See the legislators bolting the barn doors as the horse trots away far in the distance.
Or if you prefer this metaphor "that ship already sailed".

I downloaded all that Cody Wilson has currently uploaded, and I've already duped it off to a couple of flash drives.
One of those flash drives is going to a friend of mine who requested it.

I have a small milling machine in my garage - I have x number of unserialized firearms completed from 80% lowers.
Completed without violating any existing state or federal laws; completed without any paperwork filed anywhere.

I'm not a criminal, I've not violated any laws.
These a**h***s need to go do something constructive; they're not earning the money that I pay them via my tax dollar.

US Democratic representatives are sponsoring bill to ban the publication of CAD files for 3D printing firearms. ...

If the GOP wasn't a pack of RINOs,
the leadership would lard it up with bans on every conceivable form of data precious to Antifa,
add a non-severability clause, and rush it for a vote.

A roll-call vote.

I'm not sure about that site, but usually board members kick in the bulk of donations and carry the most burden of keeping the place running unlike the rest of people who come and go. If a board member donates brand new CNC rig, s/he probably deserves slightly special treatment. The membership in a lot of places are laughably cheap, like $50/mo, 24/7 access and you'd be surprised what kind of people you meet there. One thing for sure, it's always a good idea to restraint flamboyant gunnosexualism. Not all gun parts look like gun parts. Don't ask, don't tell. It's a good place to learn and use equipment before getting your own, but for $50/mo it's a friggin sweet deal.
I'd be fine with people putting in more time, money, equipment getting extra percs, but that would have to be open to anyone to buy their way in if they are promoting it as an open non profit. But board members seem to be just an elete class, nothing is specified and it seems to be a lifetime position with no specific requirements.

And several of the projects I was thinking about would be hard to hide as gun related, laser engraving, steel targets, some internal parts would be less obvious.

Are there aren't really Ny rules written down, basically if a board member says you can't do something that's it. No questions, no appeal, just what they say at a given time. Not a problem if you're part of the in crowd, but if not it could be pretty restrictive.

I get the advantages, I'm just not looking for any drama.

MakeIt has always had a weird vibe, the other spaces in the region seem better, but can't compete with MakeIt's 80-Watt "Rabbit" laser.

Do you know anything about MaxT in Peterborough? I was intending to get a tour someday. They just moved from the plaza to behind EMS somewhere.

I'd be fine with people putting in more time, money, equipment getting extra percs, but that would have to be open to anyone to buy their way in if they are promoting it as an open non profit. But board members seem to be just an elete class, nothing is specified and it seems to be a lifetime position with no specific requirements.

I don't know if all locations are the same, one board member that I know is a shooter, solid 2a and a military history affectionado, also NES member here. Nothing elite about him, but he is deeply involved in one specific site and thanks to him it is what it is thanks to his work and contribution. I don't know of any special privileges that he is endowed with either.

It's a good place to learn when you are short on shop space. Tool selection, at least at some sights is friggin awesome, lots of stock and supplies for use by members.

As far as guns go, there is probably some concern with insurance, legality, but no one stopping you from getting a lot of experience in 3D printing (which is not trivial) and getting a printer for home use when ready. 3D printing isn't exactly turn key, unbox push button and liberator comes out, there will be plenty of issues to deal with. These shops are great for people to get their feet wet for practically nothing, learn valuable skills.

I was wrong about this -- Technocopia in Worcester has a 105W laser engraver.

I don't know if all locations are the same, one board member that I know is a shooter, solid 2a and a military history affectionado, also NES member here. Nothing elite about him, but he is deeply involved in one specific site and thanks to him it is what it is thanks to his work and contribution. I don't know of any special privileges that he is endowed with either.

Aside from the name, there's no formal connection between the various spaces in the region -- Creatorpult, Lowell Makes, MakeIt Labs, Manchester Makerspace, Maker Mill, MAxT, Port City Makerspace, Framingham Makerspace, Technocopia are each their own business, but they do talk to each other. While a few have paid staff, most are 100% volunteer/co-op, nearly all chose to incorporate under 501(c)3.

Makerspace policies (usually a code-of-conduct) vary significantly. Some have a more formal board of directors, some might be more politically correct...

Back
Top Bottom