• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3d printed glock frames..

Seems like fun. But for most people, just buying a P80 frame will be much easier.

In about 90% of the country, all firearms are untraceable. It's only in whack job places like MA that your firearm, assuming you follow the laws, gets re-registered when sold FTF. Just about most states, haunt the local classifieds and gun groups and buy a whole bunch of guns with no paperwork at all.

Seems like fun. But for most people, just buying a P80 frame will be much easier.

In about 90% of the country, all firearms are untraceable. It's only in whack job places like MA that your firearm, assuming you follow the laws, gets re-registered when sold FTF. Just about most states, haunt the local classifieds and gun groups and buy a whole bunch of guns with no paperwork at all.

this is not for US market. 3d printing ... = world-wide

I approve this message!

One issue though, the uppers are controlled item in many countries, in fact some don't care about frames, but still, it's a step in the right direction.

Meh. It's a piece of plastic. And not very strong at that. I've played with some semi-exotic stuff like polycarbonate with carbon fiber and I wouldn't trust a frame I printed. Maybe when I finish the temperature controlled enclosure I'll be able to get a recipe that produces really strong and accurate prints.

Now, if he had used that to make an investment casting out of melted beer cans I would be impressed.

As for files to print, I assumed the whole internet had been scrubbed of them but a quick search shows promising stuff even on mainstream sites like grabcad.com

Last edited:
Meh. It's a piece of plastic. And not very strong at that. I've played with some semi-exotic stuff like polycarbonate with carbon fiber and I wouldn't trust a frame I printed. Maybe when I finish the temperature controlled enclosure I'll be able to get a recipe that produces really strong and accurate prints.

Now, if he had used that to make an investment casting out of melted beer cans I would be impressed.

As for files to print, I assumed the whole internet had been scrubbed of them but a quick search shows promising stuff even on mainstream sites like grabcad.com

Glock frames don't take a whole shitload of abuse and frame is not relied on to either lock the round or house the striker. Glock upper can be fired without a frame as a signleshot. Frame makes it nice to carry around.

So who is scrubbing this shit? In case of the files on NZ, Google was doing it, but files are still distributed on torrents. Here, I don't see any info saying it's delayed or we can't release it. Grabacad is a shit show, lots of files there, who knows on what origin.

Personally I would put a bullet in in or near anything that came off of my 3D printer. It’s not enough to have a solid model it also takes the knowledge to make a usable print. That’s a separate topic entirely. I bet there are a pile of unusable glock frames just to make one good one. I suppose the good side is once you can figure out how to print it consistently then you are essentially good to go.

There are lots of 3D printers that actually make useable parts both in plastics and metals.

We're probably only 10-20 years from having at home metal 3D printers. The technology is advancing very quickly.

There are lots of 3D printers that actually make useable parts both in plastics and metals.

We're probably only 10-20 years from having at home metal 3D printers. The technology is advancing very quickly.

I'm sure that by that time you won't be able to print a butter knife without a visit from Gestapo to re-educate you.

Currently, more and cheaper 3d printers come either close or calibrated from the seller. There are too much info actually to get going fast. A lot of designs either aim to replace metal parts, but I see some versions come up that are combos and utilize simple steel parts with complex plastic parts. That's the winning direction. As long as the common filament is considered in design, it could be a viable solution.

Back
Top Bottom