3D Printed AR15

I have been very interested in printing my own AR lower for personal use. While I'm not a legal guru by any means I do know if I where to buy a lower from a local gun store I would need to submit a background check. What are the legalities from printing my own lower, I just don't want any legal trouble.

If you make it for yourself and never sell it to somebody else - perfectly legal.

Somebody will come along with the ATF regs for that.

Making your own firearm is legal as long as it is not made with the intent of selling it.

Q: Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?
With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.
[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - General | ATF

Yeah, After you print it you can dip it in acetone to further bond all the layers together and the strength starts to approach that of injection molded.
You could additionally slather it in epoxy and it should then be pretty strong.

If you can print it in polycarbonate/ABS (PC/ABS) that's even stronger.

How do I know this?
I work on stuff that requires 3d printing . . . and I own 1 or 2.

Group build anyone? :)

Just need someone with a 3d printer:)

If I recall correctly, the ATF come down hard on a company that was letting people come in and "push the button" on a CNC milling machine to complete 80% lowers. I would guess that having a single 3D printer that you let lots of people use to make AR lowers would put you in the same category.

Back
Top Bottom