• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.380 Go BOOM!

Years ago, Had a .25acp go off in my hand. Ouch!! Still have the scar

I think I vaguely remember your post on this... wasn't it involving a magazine for a little semi pistol, and the magazine had a burr or something on it that (somehow) touched the primer off?

-Mike

On further thought, better scrub this thread.
If someone shows this to Marsha, she'll twist it and just try and outlaw bullets cause they go boom by themselves!!!!

I wouldn't worry about it, I"d buy some powerball tickets instead, your odds are far better.

If you have eye pro on, it isn't, really. The incident I was involved in was 100 times worse- the bullet actually launched straight up off the floor and penetrated a thin foam ceiling tile, although it bounced off the floor above without even leaving so much as a scratch on the wood. We found the bullet lying on top of the ceiling tile next to it.

ETA: A bigger likely danger is a piece of sharp flying brass shrapnel getting embedded in your skin if the case itself explodes, looks like that one didn't.

-Mike

Good point. I didn't mean to imply that would now have night terrors and shakes over this. I just never really thought of it as an opportunity before [wink]

it happens, as do detonations when you eject a live round.

I knew that academically but I'd never experienced it or known someone else who had so it surprised the crap out me.

it happens, as do detonations when you eject a live round.

We are dealing with a blasting cap and charge after all, it is "supposed "to be safe and controlled, but so isn't a controlled detonation that brings a building down. Every so often you hear of a premature explosion when a cap goes off do to instability.
All things in the universe came together for you that day, go forth and control the world with powerball tickets in hand.

Round go BOOM

My best friend's son about 25 years ago, at the age of 11 wondered what would happen if he balanced and .22 across the terminals of a 9v DC battery. He found out about 10 seconds later. My buddy heard the report and almost passed out. Got to the kids room and found him with a very subdued look on an a very powder burned face. Harsh, but the best lesson that kid ever got. The kid and I hunted togeather for years and I never felt nervous at all with him behind me after his .22 experience. Talk about safe firearm handling (after accident) by a pre-teen [smile]

That's crazy! Maybe I should start putting my ammo on the left hand side.

How was the Bodyguard? I'm on a list waiting for one for the fiancee... just curious.

Strange that some of the rounds in that batch misfired with a direct primer strike, and one was touched off by a slight scrape from an ejected shell. What brand of ammo was it?

ETA: Nevermind. Cartridge case shows it's CCI Blazer.

Wow that's amazing!!! I think I remember seeing you guys down that end running around like something happened, now I know I was right. [grin]

I was standing in the lane getting ready to let the 500 off when the guy to the left of me fired off the M&P 45, the case came right over the shield and bounced off of top of my head. [grin]

Wow that's amazing!!! I think I remember seeing you guys down that end running around like something happened, now I know I was right. [grin]

I was standing in the lane getting ready to let the 500 off when the guy to the left of me fired off the M&P 45, the case came right over the shield and bounced off of top of my head. [grin]

Yup, the M&P 45 loves to spew the casings. When I collect brass off the range it usually involves a bit of hiking!

I always knew that a cartridge posed a minimal threat (relatively) outside the chamber, but I was actually impressed at how little damage was done. It blasted right through the cheap plastic tray, but there wasn't so much as a scratch on the "table", which seemed like thick kydex at best.

Either way I'm glad I was busy shooting in the next lane, otherwise I'm sure it would have scared the crap out of me too!

It likely wouldn't cause a lot of damage. When the round is confined in the chamber, the energy from the explosion forces the bullet out of the barrel at high velocity. Without the chamber to confine the brass, it just will expand the edges of the soft brass, releasing all the energy over a larger area thereby greatly reducing the energy exerted on the bullet itself. With no barrel to project the bullet forward, the expended energy goes into the plastic holder breaking it, but leaving the bullet essentially just sitting there. +1 for wearing safety glasses, though!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I went to the S&W Shooting Center today after our tour and a few of us decided to rent some guns on our own and shoot. I rented the Bodyguard .380 and after shooting through my rounds I switched to my 45. I left the half tray of .380 on the bench for the next shooter and proceeded to fire the 45.
I noticed a flash around the bench while I was shooting but there was a guy in the lane next to me shooting at the same time and I didn't think much of it. After I dumped the mag though I looked down on the bench and noticed a bullet. Not a cartridge but a bullet. The plastic ammo tray had a blown out pocket and there was a distorted cartridge!
Best we can figure, one of my 45 casings hit the primer on the .380 causing it to discharge right in the tray. Glad I didn't see it happen as it probably would have scared the crap out of me. You can't see it very well in my camera phone shot but the primer clearly had not been struck by a firing pin. It had more of a scrape mark on it.

I think that is one of the challenges on COD: Black Ops

Back
Top Bottom