• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.380 Auto for my wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought her a Bodyguard .380 for X-mass.
We went to the range today and she did not like the trigger pull. lb. MA compliant [frown]
She does not need it for carry. just home defense and target shooting.
Not looking for a 3" barrel, a large frame pistol would be fine.
Any suggestions for a good .380?

Thanks. Mike

Last edited:
.380 Anything as a primary handgun =

We could have told you that was gonna happen. [laugh]

If it's just for HD and Target shooting... might as well also look at the G17... They can often be had on the cheap if you look hard enough. G17, G19, M&P series... S&W 3rd gens... Sig P226.....

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
.380 Anything as a primary handgun =

We could have told you that was gonna happen. [laugh]

I'd suggest looking at one of the mid sized 9mm pistols, like a Kahr K9/P9, a G19, a Sig P239, or an S&W 3rd gen or M&P 9 Compact. A Walther P99 might not be bad, either.

-Mike

I have a Kahr PM9 she does not like it either.
Looking for real suggestions for the .380 please
She had a better time with my AR15.

I have a Kahr PM9 she does not like it either.
She had a better time with my AR15.

I realized she didn't need a CCW gun and edited my post. That said, a K9 or a P9 handles a lot differently than the little PM9 does. If it's just an HD/Range toy gun she should look at full sized handguns, or mid to full sized guns.

-Mike

I realized she didn't need a CCW gun and edited my post. That said, a K9 or a P9 handles a lot differently than the little PM9 does. If it's just an HD/Range toy gun she should look at full sized handguns, or mid to full sized guns.

-Mike

Thats what i want.
Any suggestions on a good one?

I know you said you want a .380, but...a bigger 9mm will get you several things:

a) Cheaper, easier to find ammo for practice
b) Better selection of defensive loads
c) Recoil-operated gun with a lighter recoil spring (most .380s are small blowbacks with necessarily heavy recoil springs...a bigger 9mm will be easier to manipulate)
d) A heavier gun will mitigate recoil issues

My suggestion would be a G19 or G17, if she can get her hands around the grip. The HiPower has a smaller grip, and is a joy to shoot.

I know you said you want a .380, but...a bigger 9mm will get you several things:

a) Cheaper, easier to find ammo for practice
b) Better selection of defensive loads
c) Recoil-operated gun with a lighter recoil spring (most .380s are small blowbacks with necessarily heavy recoil springs...a bigger 9mm will be easier to manipulate)
d) A heavier gun will mitigate recoil issues

My suggestion would be a G19 or G17, if she can get her hands around the grip. The HiPower has a smaller grip, and is a joy to shoot.

All good points.
After I bought the gun,i picked up dies and 1000 bullets for reloading "soft" loads.

Last edited:
All good points.
After I bought the gun,i picked up dies and 100 bullets for reloading "soft" loads.

Another thing I just thought of; the M&P series and Glocks also have aftermarket parts easily available to fix the MA trigger if you happen to get one with a bad trigger.

If she's not going to CCW, how about a Glock 26? Easy trigger pull, small enough for a womans hands. I know, as I have one and yes, I am a woman. It has a much better trigger than the BG 380 that I carry.

If the recoil is an issue and you want to stay .380, a small full metal item like a sig p238 or the larger p232 might be a consideration.

If this is to be strictly a home defense weapon and she likes your AR15, then get her a G-D AR15.

Pretty hard to top that as a home defense weapon when loaded properly.

You really need to forget about the .380 ACP. That POS cartridge is barely one step above a switchblade and even that is arguable.

When someone breaches the sanctity of your home, that is NOT the time for halfway or trifling measures. That is the time to fight back with the overwhelming power of a shotgun or a CQB carbine.

It is your HOME, for Heaven's sake.

If this is to be strictly a home defense weapon and she likes your AR15, then get her a G-D AR15.

You really need to forget about the .380 ACP. That POS cartridge is barely one step above a switchblade and even that is arguable.

When someone breaches the sanctity of your home, that is NOT the time for halfway or trifling measures. That is the time to fight back with the overwhelming power of a shotgun or a CQB carbine.

This. + a million

Thanks.

I have several choices in the house above the .380.
She just likes it.
Tough to argue with a woman
My uncle was killed with a .22lr behind his bar.
I'm sure he didn't think it was a sissy round.

I bought the bodyguard and only had to bring it to the range once to know I wasnt going to spend any considerable time with it. I decided to sell it. I'm looking at picking up the 238. Feels good in my hands but not sure how the trigger will feel in action. I do have both a Glock 19 and a Ruger SR9c. It is hard for me to pick a favorite between them. I think your wife would like the trigger on the SR9c ALOT! It is very smooth and easy to double tap.

OK let me jump on the .380 is useless bandwagon too, but now that we have that out of the way the issue is you have a MA trigger issue, and other than taking a bath on the gun, I would suggest a call to Greg Derr or other competent gunsmith who may be able to do a trigger job on it for reasonable money.

I am assuming the rest of the gun is not an issue, ergonomics, etc.

If your mind is set on a 380 take a hard look at the Bersa thunder . I have a Bersa 380 its a great little gun for the price, accurate and very reliable 400+ rounds not one issue. Best thing about it i got it for $270.00 brand new

Last edited:
OK let me jump on the .380 is useless bandwagon too, but now that we have that out of the way the issue is you have a MA trigger issue, and other than taking a bath on the gun, I would suggest a call to Greg Derr or other competent gunsmith who may be able to do a trigger job on it for reasonable money.

I am assuming the rest of the gun is not an issue, ergonomics, etc.

Tried before she even shot it.
No gunsmith will touch the trigger yet. To new.
Told me to wait a year or so until they have worked on them.

If your mind is set on a 380 take a hard look at the Bersa thunder . I have a Bersa 380 its a great little gun for the price, accurate and very reliable 400+ rounds not one issue. Best thing about it i got it for $270.00 brand new

What's the trigger pull?
MA compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom