• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

38 super in a 357 magnum??

kencop93

NES Member
I saw one article about a guy who tested two different 357 mag (a colt and a s/w) He stated that you can safely use 38 super in a 357 but you cant use it in the 38 because of the chamber pressure. Has anyone else heard about doing this or has anyone safely done this?? Oh yeah, he also stated that they did eject easily from the 357

I don't think a .38 super would even fit into a .357 mag chamber. The .38 super is shorter and fatter. In any case, I don't think it would be a good idea.

.38 Super apparently isn't entirely rimless, it's semi-rimmed (.007" -.009" rim) and can headspace off the rim. Sounds legit. Never heard of that being done, learn something new everyday

Heres the post from wiki answers. The explanation kinda contradicts the answer.

Answer:

No, .38 super is a semi automatic round and .357 is a revolver round. While both have a bullet diameter of .355. The case length is different and the rounds are held in the firearms differently. Semi automatics have a shoulder in the barrel that holds the round in place. a revolver has a lip on the cartridge that holds it.
In 1986 Ed Sanow performed a test using various .38 Super ammo on two different .357 Magnum revolvers, SW and Colt (different twist rates) and he concluded.

A. You can safely shoot .38 Super in a .357 Mag revolver. (not in a .38 Special gun even if it is +p). It will fit in both guns. The Super has lower chamber pressure than the .357 Mag but almost double the .38 Spl +p

B. Even though the Super is semi-rimmed it extracted reliably from both revolvers.

C. The longer bore due to the supers shorter case and the different bullet dia. did not affect accuracy. Actually the Winchester .38 Super Silvertip was more accurate through a .357 mag than all the .38 Special and .357 Mag loads shot during the test.

He concluded that using a .38 Super through a .357Mag is a better alternative than using a .38spl+p. It has better stopping power. Also it is a good alternative if the muzzle blast and shot to shot times prove hard to handle with the .357.

Last edited:
Id be happy to give it a try.

The 38 super has only a three thousandths rim. So it is dependent upon your chamber as to whether it will work.

In a semi auto a 38 super head spaces on the mouth.

A super operates at lower pressures than 357 Magnum. So if the rim stops the cartridge from moving forward it should be fine.

older 38 super cartridges had a larger rim. In the 70's the size of the rim was reduced to improve feeding reliability.

Don
Sent from Samsung Note 2

Not gonna fit:

.38 Super base diameter = .384"
.357 Mag base diameter = .379"

Plus max pressure for .38 Super is 36,500 PSI and .357 mag is only 35,000.

You do learn something new everyday I am not a 38 super person but happen to have a few boxes that where given to me.. I did not know that there is a difference between 38 super and 38 super auto.. I happen to have a box of each.. Jasons is correct. The 38 super does not fit, but the 38 super auto does..

Not to muddy the waters any more but as stated the .38 Super is semi-rimless. But the .38 Super Comp is rimless.

I use .38 super cases in handloads for my 1902 Colt .38 ACP but .38 Super Comp cases in my Colt 1911 .38 Super.

Last edited:
Not gonna fit:

.38 Super base diameter = .384"
.357 Mag base diameter = .379"

And, they still might fit in some chambers due to tolerances.

Now, I used to make 308 Win brass for competition use from Norma 7.7 Jap brass. Why? Most 308 brass available was garbage, accuracy wise. The 7.7 brass was Norma, and that brand is better than most anything else.

The 7.7 brass was about .483 at the base, the 308 about .479. But, the 308 generally has a wide base in the chamber, lots of clearance. So, 7.7 doesn't expand near as much as any 308 brass does. Pretty tight fit, accurate stuff, too.

Back
Top Bottom