• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.38 super dies

ok guys (and girls) you have all been a great help in my quest for an open gun......now I am looking for ways to feed her. what do you recommend for reloading dies? right now I am using a Dillon 550B and was going to go with Dillon dies as I haven't had any issues with anything Dillon so far. As always your advise is much appreciated.

I don't shoot super, but for my 9MM and my 40S&W I use the EGW size die and it seems to work much better than the standard Dillon die. Then follow Matt around and pick up the brass he leaves behind [grin]

I would recommend a EGW U-die also. There is also a Redding competion die that is suppose to work great... I haven't try one.

You don't need to follow Matt around to get his brass, just take it out of his range bag while he is shooting[wink]

I used Dillon dies for Super for years with no problems. I have had good luck with the U-die in .40 and will use it in Super when I start reloading that caliber again. The Redding Competition Seating Die is great if you use more than one bullet type on a regular basis. It has a micrometer adjustment stem (no lock nut) graduated in .001 lines. You can record settings for different bullets and simply dial them in, no trial and error. The die can also be disassembled for cleaning without losing its settings.

If you've not had any issues with Dillon so far, chances are you never will, and if thats who you want to go with, go with them.
I use a dillon resize die on 38 super. That's my only 38super die on the machine, everything else is 9mm dies, because I shot 9x21, then 9x23, and when I switched to super, I felt the 9mm dies were close enough, if I needed to turn them a bit lower so the taper would hit it so be it.
I've got no feeding or ammo problems, well, except for the primers falling out that was mentioned earlier. I still don't believe the primer pockets wore out, I think the primers shrunk.

If you've not had any issues with Dillon so far, chances are you never will, and if thats who you want to go with, go with them.
I use a dillon resize die on 38 super. That's my only 38super die on the machine, everything else is 9mm dies, because I shot 9x21, then 9x23, and when I switched to super, I felt the 9mm dies were close enough, if I needed to turn them a bit lower so the taper would hit it so be it.
I've got no feeding or ammo problems, well, except for the primers falling out that was mentioned earlier. I still don't believe the primer pockets wore out, I think the primers shrunk.

I don't think there is much difference between 9mm and Super in Dillon dies. They sold me a set of 38 Super dies which had a resizing die marked "9mm".

It has been my experience that primer pockets don't wear out, they stretch due to excessive pressure.

thanks for the info guys. i have 2 sets of Dillon dies right now and haven't had any issues with either set. I figured I would just use the Dillons. I remember Mike saying he had issues with the die he had origionally and had to go to the undersize die. I just don't want to spend all that money for a set of Dillons and still have to get a different resize die. I would love a Redding seating die, but can't seem to justify all the money for it, I just get an extra tool head for a few bucks and keep the adjustments once they are set.

Why not just put some crazy glue on the primers before you seat them? That should keep 'em from backing out.

Back
Top Bottom