38 special

So I am about to purchase a lever action 357/38 Marlin.

I have been shooting my 38 reloads out of a smith model 15-7, and they are functioning fine. Does anything need to be changed to be able to fire the same round out of a lever action,maybe crimping or something like that? I currently use a Lee FCD. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I am brand new to lever guns, somewhat new to reloading, and dont want to overlook anything that would be obvious to a more veteran reloader. These loads are for target practice only. My load data is below. Thanks.

Berrys DS 158 grain flat point
Winchester Small Pistol Primer
4.3 of Winchester 231
1.6 OAL

Have to check my data tomorrow night when I get home from work but the 1.6 does seem long for a .38spl load as SLowdrive said. This said, I use the same plated and lead reloads in both my 442 and my Marlin 38/357 rifle with no issues and decent accuracy out to 100 yds.

So I am about to purchase a lever action 357/38 Marlin.

I have been shooting my 38 reloads out of a smith model 15-7, and they are functioning fine. Does anything need to be changed to be able to fire the same round out of a lever action,maybe crimping or something like that? I currently use a Lee FCD. I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I am brand new to lever guns, somewhat new to reloading, and dont want to overlook anything that would be obvious to a more veteran reloader. These loads are for target practice only. My load data is below. Thanks.

Berrys DS 158 grain flat point
Winchester Small Pistol Primer
4.3 of Winchester 231
1.6 OAL

I run exactly the same ammo through my Marlin .38/.357 as I do in my Ruger Security-Six. The crimp is ... "medium", not explicitly light or heavy, but I'm not really sure how to measure crimp in any repeatable way that I can explain, or anyone can explain to me.

One thing you'll find, though is that you want as high velocity bullet as you can, or the impacts will all be too high. Which is to say, if you're making a custom round for it, I'd go with a light bullet pushed as fast as you feel comfortable. I like running .38s because you can get one more in the mag. tube than if you use .357s. But seriously, light bullet, +P, or expect to mess with your sights a bunch.

Yes, full power .357 Mag shoots dead on the sights, .38 spl target loads shoot high, by quite a bunch, like 8" at 50Y.

I'll addust the OAL when I get the rifle. The 1.6 functions fine in my 15-7, so I hadn't really considered that factor before. Thanks guys.

I also shoot a Marlin 1894C and use the same ammo I load for my .38/.357 revolvers.
They all function fine, with the exception of Full Wadcutters (148gr. HBWC), which are a bit short to cycle reliably and can jam up the gun.

Back
Top Bottom