• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.38 snubby ammo ?

I recently bought a new S&W 438 and a couple of boxes of target 148g wadcutters. Just wondering what your opinions are of what's best for carry. Is the Speer 135 + p hp the best choice these days? I have some old timers telling me I should just use the target wadcutters. I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks

Top choice: Remington 158 grain +P lead semi wadcutter hollow points.

Second choice: Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P

I carry Speer Gold Dot 158gr JHP +p in my S&W 642. Hell of a bark to them but they shoot nice and straight and would hate to get hit by one.

I agree with either Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. +P Short Barrel or the Hornady Critical Defense +P. The Gold Dots are very effective, but recoil is relatively stout in a lightweight snubbie. Semi-wadcutter hollow points are old school (I carried them 35 years ago), and offer little expansion when shot from a snubbie.

I have the same question, but for a Model 36. It is not rated for +P. What would you carry? I currently have Hornaday Critical Defense +P as well as the non +P.

anybody know which stores in eastern MA or southern NH that have the Gold Dot short barrel rounds?

All I could find is Critical Defense 110gr and Golden Saber 125gr +P

I have the same question, but for a Model 36. It is not rated for +P. What would you carry? I currently have Hornaday Critical Defense +P as well as the non +P.

i too am interested in an answer as i have an airweight that is not rated for +P as it was made back in the late 70s.

Carry +P in it and shoot +P through it occasionally.

You will not hurt it.

Semi-wadcutter hollow points are old school (I carried them 35 years ago), and offer little expansion when shot from a snubbie.
Through heavy clothing, that is mostly true.

Through light summer clothes, they expand like crazy and they still outpenetrate the Gold Dots.

And when they don't expand they are still 158 grains that will penetrate like nobody's business.

anybody know which stores in eastern MA or southern NH that have the Gold Dot short barrel rounds?

All I could find is Critical Defense 110gr and Golden Saber 125gr +P

I'm going to Milford Firearms tomorrow on my way home from work for a some primers and bullets i will look for you

I wouldn't hesitate to carry the target wadcutters you have either. They are mild, and easy to shoot accurately. I think for some people they are a very good choice. They penetrate, and allow you to hit what you aim at without the big deal of recoil or noise. They just work.

But I carry Speer Gold Dot in most of my carry guns.

pj150, I just read they re-introduced the Federal Nyclad in two weights. Should be available by now.

Buffalo Bore 158gr +P LSWHP
Remington 158gr +P LSWHP
Speer Gold Dot SB 135gr +P JHP

Buffalo kicks like a mule. [grin] So be sure your hands and snubby is up to the challenge. Remington should be ok for most guns and shooters. I would not lose too much sleep over potential expansion issues. Test after test show that by far the two most important criteria are shot placement and penetration. With all other factors equal, bigger hole is better, but such advantage is marginal in comparison to shot placement and adequate penetration. Furthermore, test show that, in the real world shootings, well over 30% of all HP rounds fail to properly expend.

Buffalo Bore 158gr +P LSWHP

Buffalo kicks like a mule. [grin] So be sure your hands and snubby is up to the challenge. Remington should be ok for most guns and shooters. I would not lose too much sleep over potential expansion issues. Test after test show that by far the two most important criteria are shot placement and penetration. With all other factors equal, bigger hole is better, but such advantage is marginal in comparison to shot placement and adequate penetration. Furthermore, test show that, in the real world shootings, well over 30% of all HP rounds fail to properly expend.

+1000

I didn't mention Buffalo Bore, even though I have plenty of it, because it is brutal. But also brutally effective.

I have no way to disprove BB's claim that such a load uses a proprietary powder that allows it to develop the speed and power that it does while still remaining within SAAMI pressure limits for 38 Special +P, so I accept the claim on its face.

I will say that their velocity claims are NOT exaggerated. I have chronoed my BB 158 +P from both a 4" Model 64 and a 1 7/8" Model 637 and it matches their specs within 10 fps.

I got 1160 fps out of the Model 64 and 992 out of the 637. That is treading very, very close to 357 Magnum level power.

Back
Top Bottom