38 Mass Shootings This Year?

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
After the latest or two shootings in CA much of the media is claiming that "There have already been 38 mass shootings in the country this year alone."

Yet they don't follow up with a list, at last not yet.

Has anyone seem such a list?

Likely it’s anything where two people get hit. Hood rats, gangs, moonshiners, police shootings, self-defense, ricochets, etc.

I’m sure they cast a very wide net to get the number.

The unfortunate result of such bad reporting is that the average below-average person will hear this and envision 38 California ballroom style events and think that's the case.

The unfortunate result of such bad reporting is that the average below-average person will hear this and envision 38 California ballroom style events and think that's the case.
i think for it to be bad reporting it would be that they accidentally made an error. The media is deliberately reporting shootings as "mass shootings" to include when there is more than one person shot, to support the gun control political narrative, and provoke the exact reaction that you describe. This has been going on for some time.

I've never seen a universally accepted definition but mass shooting seems to be 4 or more people shot during the same incident. I'm not sure that it's the media's fault if people are just making up their own more dramatic definition.

Has anyone seem such a list?

Define "mass shooting" in today's parlance vs the definition from 30 years ago. I'm betting the bar for defining it has shifted downwards substantially over the past few decades.

Back
Top Bottom