.38/.357 load info

big

Hi folks. I have been wanting to get into reloading for some time now.I was up to Riellys in Hooksett today. I picked up a used Rockchucker for 75 bucks.Used Hornaday mechanical scale for 25 and a case trimmer for 20. Got dies ,hand primer and other stuff too.

I also grabbed some hard cast lubed .38 158gr swc .358dia.(Reloads n More brand) and some BlueDot powder.And some Federal small magnum primers no.200 . These were recommended by the guy at the store,he looked up the powder in the Lyman reloading book.

These I will shoot out of my GP100 4 inch barrel with .357 cases. I have the powder data from the Alliant web site as to powder charge.

Now as far as the bullets go,what if any powder would you guys recommend to shoot the 158 gr. swc bullets out of .38/.38+P in my Ruger LCR and GP100. I am thinking the BlueDot may not be the best choice in powder for .38/.38+P.

Also this may not be the best bullet for the LCR?I don't need to put the LCR to the test if you know what I mean.

By the way I am waiting for the Lyman 27 book and ABCs of Reloading to come in via Amazon. I got a buddy who will be showing me the ropes etc.
Thanks in advance, Jim

Last edited:
get a load manual.

in the meantime, go to your powder manf's website. they'll usually have their current load data available for free....but they dont always give you the other important numbers (like OAL)

the 158gr lead bullet was the original .38special loading (albeit blackpowder way back when). theres a TON of load data out there for it.

N1heu, before throwing out a random loading (not recommended anyways), did you notice he had planned to use BlueDot....not Unique?

FWIW jim, i prefer Bullseye for .38sp loadings, and 2400 for .357mag.

Thanks for the info guys. When I picked up the used press and accessories at Reillys I figured I would get bullets ,powder and primers.

As far as the powder choice, the guy recommended the BlueDot. I have since found out that there may be better choices than the BlueDot for .357 magnum loads.
Now I am just waiting for my reloading manuals to come in.After a training "class"with my buddy I will be off and reloading.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom