MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

Thanks was just looking in the forums and it seems like EFA-10 is the way to go. Appreciate it. I still have a few of the paper FA-10 forms in my safe ...
Just do it electronically on the mircs portal with a laptop or tablet-

When you get the completed pdf you'll want to save it or screen shot it for your records once you navigate away you cannot get it back

Hi Folks, I've been absent from this forum for some time: work, kids, etc. Over this time I have drifted away from handguns - I mostly upland hunt now and have a small collection of shotguns as a result - and am looking to sell some handguns. I am a MA resident and have a Kahr MK9 LTD model that I bought in MA. Kahr has confirmed that it was manufactured in 1998 but I dont have any proof that it was it was owned/registered in MA before 10/21/98.

I think that means that for resale sake I need to sell it to someone outside of MA as it isnt compliant so an in-state FFL wont transfer it to another MA resident? Is a F2F transfer of a handgun possible any more? If so, it seems like it would be legal for me to transfer this pistol to another MA resident LTC holder?

Apologies if this is rudimentary as I've been away from this hobby for years ... Any feedback please? Thx

Any dealer that isn't shit in MA will move that no problem. That said, if you don't care about burning up one of your FTFs, It would be easier for you to just FTF it on an EFA10 though and not even worry about that shit.

Anyone have a step-by-step guide to a F2F transfer using the new EFA-10 forms? I'm searching but not easily finding that. Thx

There is no paper form anymore. It's all electronic. Seller brings laptop or smartphone to meet, EFA10 is done there with the seller driving
it, which finalizes the sale. If you don't understand this, then you probably should just use a dealer.

Is that gun on the EOPS roster? There are a metric shit ton of dealers that will move it no problem.

The general MK9 model number is on the EOPS roster but this model has "LTD" at the end of the model number so isnt specifically on the roster.
I'm going to try gunbroker. Never sold there before ...
Thx
Just ask, some will other won't. I was transfering a RIA 1911 and one dealer was looking for the specific model number, went to another and he said Ya a 1911 that's ok.

The Sig P220 is listed on the roster in .45 ACP but it's also available in 10mm. Can an FFL transfer in the P220 in 10mm?

Found this very nice SP101 on BPS/Cabelas used gun website. It's in Green Bay WI. So I inquire about having it transferred to MA. I'm told MA "doesn't sell used handguns". WTF? So I email the manager and ask. He says

that is correct we are unable to ship into your state most used hand guns. Your state allows you to purchase used guns purchased within your state.

Here are the only hand guns your state will allow another state to send to you.
  • 92FS Compact Inox 9mm
  • 92FS 9mm
  • CHIC Lady 38SP 2” 5RD PNK/SS
  • BULLDOG SS .44SPL 2.5” 5RD
  • CHARTERARMS Tiger 44SPC 2.5” 5RD
  • CHARTER OLD GLORY 38SPC 2” 5RD
Sorry for the confusion.

we get used guns in from out of state all the time, right? FFL's sell them as long as they're on the "list". Am I missing something here? This seems more of a large corporate ignorance, than a MA policy.

Just checking with those who know

Found this very nice SP101 on BPS/Cabelas used gun website. It's in Green Bay WI. So I inquire about having it transferred to MA. I'm told MA "doesn't sell used handguns". WTF? So I email the manager and ask. He says

we get used guns in from out of state all the time, right? FFL's sell them as long as they're on the "list". Am I missing something here? This seems more of a large corporate ignorance, than a MA policy.

Yes, typical 110% box store bullshit. Some lawyer at BPS was smoking crack when they invented that rule

I bought an used SP101 from out of state (CT) last spring. Absolutely no issues.

that's what I thought.. nice gun too.. maybe someone in a free state can benefit.
Actually even someone in Mass could play "ping pong" with that thing and get it but it's not going to be worth the money by the time it gets here. (Blow smoke, send to dealer in NH, inbound it to MA via another. )

Informative threads/links on this issue:

MA EOPS Approved Firearms Roster (fall 2020)

MA EOPS Formal Target Shooting Roster: (fall 2020)

MA EOPS 501 CMR 7.00 Approved Weapons Roster Regulation (details implementation of testing, etc)
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/501-cmr-7.pdf

"MA Gun Law Interpretation"
Mass Gun Law Intrepretation

"EOPS Firearms Roster Discussion"
AG's approved firearms roster.

Law Governing EOPS testing of handguns:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-123.htm

AG's Regulations for "Handgun Safety" (AKA 940 CMR 16.00 )
http://www.mass.gov/ago/docs/regulations/940-cmr-16-00.pdf
Is there any newer information based on this older link "Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town" regarding whether towns are following the lead of the:
June 2022, 6–3 Supreme Court ruling Thursday, which struck down a New York law limiting carrying guns outside the home. The Court deemed the law unconstitutional under the Second Amendment.

The stricken New York law requires people to show a “proper cause” to obtain a license to carry. Massachusetts’ current laws similarly restrict gun carrying under a statute that gives local police chiefs power to deny licenses if they deem applicants “unsuitable.”

I am looking at buying a house and for example are towns like East Longmeadow, Lowell, Peabody and Medford still considered "red" or otherwise slow walking LTC renewals or should all towns be considered "green" now? Tx.-Mark

Is there any newer information based on this older link "Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town" regarding whether towns are following the lead of the:
June 2022, 6–3 Supreme Court ruling Thursday, which struck down a New York law limiting carrying guns outside the home. The Court deemed the law unconstitutional under the Second Amendment.

The stricken New York law requires people to show a “proper cause” to obtain a license to carry. Massachusetts’ current laws similarly restrict gun carrying under a statute that gives local police chiefs power to deny licenses if they deem applicants “unsuitable.”

I am looking at buying a house and for example are towns like East Longmeadow, Lowell, Peabody and Medford still considered "red" or otherwise slow walking LTC renewals or should all towns be considered "green" now? Tx.-Mark
I believe Peabody should be green.

All towns are green now. You can’t be denied an unrestricted LTC unless you’re a prohibited person or the licensing authority deems you to be “unsuitable.” Towns literally have no choice but to follow the lead of Bruen, the FRB isn’t even printing LTCs with restrictions on them anymore. The FRB also put out guidance stating that restrictions that still appear on current LTCs are no longer enforceable. Furthermore, if they get any LTC applications from licensing authorities with restrictions on them then they are forcing the authorities to resubmit them without restrictions.

Certain towns may make the application process worse than others, such as lengthy weight times or requiring extra things like reference letters and live fire training and such, but otherwise the process is the same across the board once your application is submitted. Anything that would deny you an unrestricted LTC in one town would also do so in another.

All towns are green now. You can’t be denied an unrestricted LTC unless you’re a prohibited person or the licensing authority deems you to be “unsuitable.” Towns literally have no choice but to follow the lead of Bruen, the FRB isn’t even printing LTCs with restrictions on them anymore. The FRB also put out guidance stating that restrictions that still appear on current LTCs are no longer enforceable. Furthermore, if they get any LTC applications from licensing authorities with restrictions on them then they are forcing the authorities to resubmit them without restrictions.

Certain towns may make the application process worse than others, such as lengthy weight times or requiring extra things like reference letters and live fire training and such, but otherwise the process is the same across the board once your application is submitted. Anything that would deny you an unrestricted LTC in one town would also do so in another.

Not entirely, suitability is still a town by town thing

Not entirely, suitability is still a town by town thing
True, but my understanding of the color grading system based on the descriptions for each of the colors in the link provided by OP is that it’s based on the town’s likelihood of issuing unrestricted LTCs vs restricted ones. That’s no longer a thing anymore, all towns are green and have to issue unrestricted LTCs if they issue LTCs at all. The issue now is whether or not you’ll be denied a LTC based on suitability.

True, but my understanding of the color grading system based on the descriptions for each of the colors in the link provided by OP is that it’s based on the town’s likelihood of issuing unrestricted LTCs vs restricted ones. That’s no longer a thing anymore, all towns are green and have to issue unrestricted LTCs if they issue LTCs at all. The issue now is whether or not you’ll be denied a LTC based on suitability.
Bruen doesn't apply to suitability... yet

Bruen will prevent a town from restricting you in that box on a license.

Outwardly though it will not direcltly stop them from playing games, dragging ass etc.

I would not move into any former shit towns regardless. Many of them are a still pain in the ass to deal with LTC issues etc. Why would you expose yourself to that intentionally?

That said, a lot of the data collected is ancient and you really have to look on the ground NOW. Chiefs change and the "licensing tenor" in towns change.

I still would not intentionally live in any shit town if it could be avoided (lowell, Brookline, Boston, Cambridge, etc. ) not worth the side-grief. and they will not hestitate one moment to brutalize you if you ever slip up.

Not entirely. That rating system was also based on how much the town sucked as a generality or not, not just restrictions.

There were (and are) a lot of "false green" towns that drag ass etc.

Not entirely. That rating system was also based on how much the town sucked as a generality or not, not just restrictions.

There were (and are) a lot of "false green" towns that drag ass etc.

This.

There are towns that are now forced to issue unrestricted licenses, but you may have to call on the 6th Tuesday of the month at 2:71am to get one of the 5 free slots to interview. But seriously some towns still have extra tests and requirements that make them “not green”.

If MG licenses matter to you, that’s a whole different can of worms and I wouldn’t trust a town that isn’t green to issue one (don’t know if anyone has explored how Bruen is applied to those, but I doubt it).

Back
Top Bottom