• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.375 Winchester

Well, it's time I started reloading for my .375 Winchester, I ordered the RCBS die set.

This will be my first straight walled rifle cartridge foray, as I am used to reloading for bottleneck.

I'll be using Barnes 255gr FNFB bullets and Reloader 7 powder, with load data from Barnes.

Any tips or tricks?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Luckily is an understatement. Include prescient and incredibly intelligent. Of course, should you decide you have too much of a good thing....... I've been trying to find some for my mail carrier at less than 2nd mortgage prices. She won't be dissuaded. Simply loves that .375 for deer.

I use an "M" die to flair the case mouth when seating flat base bullets. I know that people made .38/55 brass from .30/30 when .38/55 was difficult to find. Couldn't the same be done for the .375? This would solve the mail carrier's problem.

Just an update, I think I found a load my rifle likes. It shoots better than the factory Winchester 200gr bullets, which is nice.

Based on what I have found online, this is about as good a group as I can expect out of this rifle.
0f3cc2cd4781a2576c1a44dade2de0ca.jpg

Nice! These not so common large bore lever gun cartridges are a lot of fun. 255 grains is a LOT of bullet. Excellent group- would be nearly impossible to improve, IMHO.

Reminds me to get out and shoot my 94AE in .307 Winchester. Easy thing for me is that the .307 Win uses .308 dies, just a different shell holder for the rim. I loaded some ranch dog 165 gr cast bullets given to me by a NES friend and received some brass from another helpful NESer. I plan to cast my own ranch dog hollow points for the next pumpkin shoot.

Nice! These not so common large bore lever gun cartridges are a lot of fun. 255 grains is a LOT of bullet. Excellent group- would be nearly impossible to improve, IMHO.

Reminds me to get out and shoot my 94AE in .307 Winchester. Easy thing for me is that the .307 Win uses .308 dies, just a different shell holder for the rim. I loaded some ranch dog 165 gr cast bullets given to me by a NES friend and received some brass from another helpful NESer. I plan to cast my own ranch dog hollow points for the next pumpkin shoot.

Thanks. I haven't put these through a chrono yet, but according to Barnes these 255gr bullets should be going 1880fps with 33grs of reloader7. If my math is right, that should be 2,002 foot-pounds. If I'm lucky I'll get the chance to try these on deer this fall.

The .307 sounds like fun! I'll be looking up more info on that guy.

Luckily is an understatement. Include prescient and incredibly intelligent. Of course, should you decide you have too much of a good thing....... I've been trying to find some for my mail carrier at less than 2nd mortgage prices. She won't be dissuaded. Simply loves that .375 for deer.
If your friend is still looking for ammo, it looks like they did a run of it. Some sites have it for sale online now. PM if you need help finding it.

Back
Top Bottom