357 Sig

My uncle had been a federal agents for a number of years, the past few being a Federal Air Marshall. He carries a SIG 229 in .357SIG, standard agency issue. I asked about the over penetration issue and he said the positives the round provides outweighs the chance of a pass through. I figure if they're willing to take the risk it must be good. Secret service as well uses it.

Anyone else try the S&B 140gr stuff? I have a couple boxes but haven't tried em yet.

As for over penetration... Isn't conventional logic that he heavier round will penetrate further?

Given the higher muzzle velocity of the 357, would it not be more likely to expand faster and transfer more energy via hydrostatic shock leaving less energy to cause a pass through?

As for over penetration... Isn't conventional logic that he heavier round will penetrate further?

Given the higher muzzle velocity of the 357, would it not be more likely to expand faster and transfer more energy via hydrostatic shock leaving less energy to cause a pass through?
I believe you're assumption is correct. Guaranteed expansion is a selling point.

- - - Updated - - -

My uncle had been a federal agents for a number of years, the past few being a Federal Air Marshall. He carries a SIG 229 in .357SIG, standard agency issue. I asked about the over penetration issue and he said the positives the round provides outweighs the chance of a pass through. I figure if they're willing to take the risk it must be good. Secret service as well uses it.

Anyone else try the S&B 140gr stuff? I have a couple boxes but haven't tried em yet.
I have tried that S&B, I found it a bit more violent almost like the pistol didn't like it.

I believe you're assumption is correct. Guaranteed expansion is a selling point.

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried that S&B, I found it a bit more violent almost like the pistol didn't like it.

I had heard it was HOT but havent had a chance yet. Curious how it is vs. my Underwood stuff. Will report back later.

What do you consider a little more energy? .357sig is a lot more powerful than 9mm.

Just what I said... not enough energy to make a difference. Its a handgun.. it has no energy. When your talking the difference between 300lbs and 500lbs at the ranges you use a handgun there isn't much advantage.

You look at things like expense,availability, long term support etc. It just doesn't make sense for me.

If you shoot a box out of your gun a year you can get whatever caliber you want I guess, but when your shooting 500rds a week... 357sig kinda disqualifies itself.

I don’t have anything chambered in .357 SIG. Been pondering it. Leaning towards a P229 verus a polymer for this round.

the G32 gen 4 is a gem. shoots great somewhat smoother than a G23 at least to me. the P226 or 229 are also sweet in 357. i just get a boner over the G32 considering how much power to pistol weight. the G31 or a G35 w barrel are options too.

Yes. Higher speed, more expansion, less penetration.

I shoot Underwood out of my G32. It pushes 650 ft/lb of energy That's very close to 10mm in gun that carries the same as a G19. I also find the 357 sig very accurate at longer distances.

As far as carry rounds go, they aren't any more expensive than a lot of other calibers.

I swap out barrels to a lone wolf .40 S&W and reload 40 with it for the range, just because 40 cases are way easier to find and reload.

Hmmmmmm so far P229 or G32 have peaked my interest. No boner yet though. lol

the G32 gen 4 is a gem. shoots great somewhat smoother than a G23 at least to me. the P226 or 229 are also sweet in 357. i just get a boner over the G32 considering how much power to pistol weight. the G31 or a G35 w barrel are options too.

I have Glock 33 in .357 Sig. I've always loved the round; shoots accurate as hell. It's a nice hot load. I haven't Shot or carried the Glock in quite while. Maybe it's time to give it another try.

Back
Top Bottom