• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 RN for 9mm?

OK so the 550 is up and running. I started with Remington brass with Winchester primers and 3.2 grains of Titegroup. I loaded 125 grain LNR of unknown manufacturer to an OAL of 1.11.
Function was great but accuracy was not and I know there were a couple of"keyhole" tears in the paper. I'm wondering if the bullet diameter of .357 was the problem? The "guy" at the store said it was fine but IDK. I'm thinking I may have to give the .357 away and find some .356. Don't know what the hell else it could be to cause keyholing.
I could use some advice. Thanks (shot thru a 92fs)

I did this by accident once, I had some pressure issues since my overall length on my 9mm load was for 9mm 147 grain Berry's plated, and I accidentally was putting 158 grain 357 diameter bullets in there that had a different length. Encountered some chambering issues and keyholing, but for the most part, the bullets exited the barrel and hit the target. I guess it depends on the actual diameter of your barrel, the old school people advise slugging the barrel with soft lead. Try to run some "normally sized" bullets through your gun and if the keyholing stops and the accuracy improves, you know your problem. If you're STILL having issues with 356 diameter bullets, make sure you aren't crimping the bullets excessively.

I think you may be light on the powder. According to Hodgdon's 2008 Annual Manual, the starting load for a 9mm 125gr cast lead round nose with Titegroup is 3.6gr gr (22,900 CUP, 1,002 fps). The maximum load is 4.0gr Titegroup. (30,400 CUP, 1,096 fps).

I load 3.7 Gr for .356 sized. LRN and 4.0 for plated.

I wouldn't expect a lead bullet that was .001 oversize to keyhole. I have a 92 and a P38 and neither one likes lead bullets.

Another vote for being a little light on powder. I've measured my .356 plated 115gns up to +~ 0.002" and they shoot very reliably and accurately.

Check the Hodgdon site Vs. whatever you're currently using for a reference.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Also, you might want to consider lots when you're working up loads. I typical do lots of ~ 25, but usually no more than 50 when I'm working up a new load. That way you don't waste a bunch of components (or have to pull a lot of them apart), before you know a load works.

Last edited:
Low powder seems to be a consensus. I don't know if it's right but I was told poor combustion leads to the appearance of a very dirty powder. The brass was dirty and I had what appeared to be specks of unburned powder in the chamber and action. I have new components and I'm going to give it another shot with the same powder just more of it. I'm going to try as a starter 4.2 grains of titegroup behind a 115 grain plated RN by frontier.
I hate to ask but is it possible that a TIGHT crimp could cause keyholing? I believe I had that die cranked down. We will see... I am not however going to try and recover 200 rounds worth of components. Thanks

I run 4.6 grains of TiteGroup with 115 gn fmp rn plated bullets at 1.125 oal
This gives me 1140 fps out of my glock 17

Low powder seems to be a consensus. I don't know if it's right but I was told poor combustion leads to the appearance of a very dirty powder. The brass was dirty and I had what appeared to be specks of unburned powder in the chamber and action. I have new components and I'm going to give it another shot with the same powder just more of it. I'm going to try as a starter 4.2 grains of titegroup behind a 115 grain plated RN by frontier.
I hate to ask but is it possible that a TIGHT crimp could cause keyholing? I believe I had that die cranked down. We will see... I am not however going to try and recover 200 rounds worth of components. Thanks

Yes! A tight crimp is very often the cause of key holing because this reduces the diameter of the bullet to the point that it no longer picks up a spin from the rifling. I have also had accuracy problems with a Lee FCD for the same reason.

Yes! A tight crimp is very often the cause of key holing because this reduces the diameter of the bullet to the point that it no longer picks up a spin from the rifling. I have also had accuracy problems with a Lee FCD for the same reason.

Yup. Everybody loves the FCD though.

Back
Top Bottom