• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 Rifle VS .357 Pistol Die Question

I was wondering if I could use the same .357 crimp dies for rifle and pistol? I know rifle is usually rolled crimp and pistol tapered crimp. I saw a three gun competition on TV the other day and the guy seemed to be using the same ammo for both. Were my eyes playing tricks on me again? Thanks.

A roll crimp is SOP for lead slugs in a .357 revolver.

A taper crimp is important for rimless cartridges that headspace on the case mouth; typically straightwall auto pistol cartridges like the 9mm Para and .45 ACP. A light taper may also be indicated when using non-cannelured rifle bullets.

Thanks RKG

All I've reloaded to date has been 9MM,.40 and .45 ACP. I've got .357 Dillon dies for my 550 so the crimp die must be a roll crimp one. Having never done .357 I was unaware they were roll crimped. Reason I was interested is I've got a Ruger Black Hawk and I was thinking about getting a lever gun to shoot the same ammo out of if it was possible. I'm still new to this but it's alot of fun. Thanks for helping out a new guy.

I shoot .357 in my pistol and my Winchester 92 for my competitions. I use the same loads for both. I also have the 550B and get my heads from Northeast bullets. He makes a 9mm (147 gr) FP with 0.356 diameter. If you call him and tell him that you want the same heads with a 0.358 diameter, he will do that. If you ask him, he'll tell you that he does it all the time for the "Cowboy folk."

I like them because they don't have a crimp grove. My 92 is pretty picky and likes an OAL of 1.62, so with those I can set the head to what I want. I just put a decent crimp into the lead. I just make sure to get the soft lead heads.

Back
Top Bottom