• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

357 Magnum - Do you prefer 125 or 158 gr for combo use?

Why?

I would have thought the heavier projectile would generate higher pressures

Bob
IIRC the issue was due to ball powders burning hot and also sand blasting the forcing cone and rope straps. This is supposedly worse with a short bullet that doesn’t seal up the cylinder gap as long allowing a poor burn and more leakage or something that.

IIRC the issue was due to ball powders burning hot and also sand blasting the forcing cone and rope straps. This is supposedly worse with a short bullet that doesn’t seal up the cylinder gap as long allowing a poor burn and more leakage or something that.

Interesting. Thank you.

Bob

Looking at some 357 Mag ammo and can trade for either 125 or 158 XTP rounds. What grain size do you prefer for general all around use including plinking? Not sure which way I want to go with this.

What/why do you prefer one over the other?
125's are faster, as a result, generally the expand better. Better expanding, equals bigger holes. You know how that works.

I get better accuracy with 158s in my guns. I also reload so using 158s requires less powder - adds up lol.

Also apparently lighter bullets in 357 mag can cause more forcing cone and top strap erosion in revolvers. So some people prefer heavier 158 gr bullets.

This^

Back
Top Bottom