.357 Magnum, 2400 powder and 158gr XTP

Getting ready to start loading 357 magnum, and trying to decide on a good load to work up.

A lot of good reviews from 2400, and the 158gr XTP is a good bullet.

Anyone have any experience with this combo? Going to be shooting out if a Ruger Security Six (2.75" barrel).

Thanks.

Last edited:
2400 is my go-to powder for 357 magnum. I've used the XTP's along with many other 158 gr and 125 gr bullets and it works very well.

I run 14.7 gr which is just below max.

Alliant has 14.8 gr as max with a 158 gr Speer gold dot bullet
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide
Reduce by 10% to determine a starting charge - 13.3 grains.

I'm pretty sure my Lyman manual has 15 gr as max with a standard 158 gr JSP.

You'll get plenty of muzzle blast (unburned powder) with that 2.75" barrel but that's just the nature of a short barrel in 357 mag. I get lots of muzzle blast even with my 6" Dan Wesson revolver.

I use 14.8 of 2400 with Zero brand 158 hp. Near max but doesn't feel like max load. Fills the case almost , not possible to double charge. Win 296/ H110 might be worth a try, more muzzle flash.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm glad to hear someone else has had good success with that combo. I'll be starting around 13.3 grains like you suggest.

Did you settle on a specific primer?

Like you said, blast is just the nature if the beast with 357 magnum.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear someone else has had good success with that combo. I'll be starting around 13.3 grains like you suggest.

Did you settle on a specific primer?

Like you said, blast is just the nature if the beast with 357 magnum.
I use Win and CCI standard (non-magnum) primers without any problems. Some manuals suggest a magnum primer with 2400 and some don't. Magnum primers become critical with powders like H110/Win 296.

I use 14.8 of 2400 with 158 hp. Near max but doesn't feel like max load. Fills the case almost , not possible to double charge. Win 296/ H110 might be worth a try, more muzzle flash.
Yeah 14.8 gr was comparable to factory American Eagle 158 gr JSP ammo. Nothing too excessive IMO.

If you're looking for the most recoil/velocity/muzzle blast, then H110/Win 296 will be the powder to use. I don't use it because I have TONS of standard pistol primers and don't want to buy magnum primers just for this one particular powder.

I found 13.5 gr. of 2400 to shoot very well with a coated 158 gr. SWC in a 6" Security Six, using CCI #500 Small Pistol Primers, that may work very well for you considering you've got half the barrel length, you'll have some spectacular muzzle blast. I've gone up as far as 14.5 gr. with very similar results, but more bang. You won't go wrong with any suggestions here so far. You'll be impressed.

With the XTP projectile you can give them a little more crimp if you feel its necessary compared to loading cast/coated lead.

I'll admit, I google searched 158 gr. HXP after I replied... I was figuring it was going to be a Remington projectile.

Back
Top Bottom